Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 07:59 AM

241 posts, read 339,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Nothing specific to Lexington either, which is the topic of this thread.
I believe I did acknowledge that in my original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 10:51 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
I believe I did acknowledge that in my original post.
No, you didn't. In fact, you implied rather strongly that Lexington was racist when you said you feel a "discomfort in area small towns."

Old 12-23-2016, 10:32 AM

241 posts, read 339,055 times
Quote:
No, you didn't. In fact, you implied rather strongly that Lexington was racist when you said you feel a "discomfort in area small towns."
Where? I spoke of my perspective, as a Black person (and those of others), in relation to bbq restaurants in small towns. The topic of the thread is the perception of racism, is it not? You seem rather upset at my perspective. Why?

Old 12-23-2016, 02:08 PM

71 posts, read 95,915 times
Quote:
Where? I spoke of my perspective, as a Black person (and those of others), in relation to bbq restaurants in small towns. The topic of the thread is the perception of racism, is it not? You seem rather upset at my perspective. Why?
I appreciate hearing your perspective, with a local twist to it--it is relevant to this thread and it's unfortunate that it appears someone is trying to pick a fight. It's hard to believe that even with it being 2016, you can still find plenty of people around who did have to go to different windows, use different water fountains, etc. It really wasn't all that long ago, in the grand scheme of things. While we shouldn't dwell in the past, wounds like that take time to heal. We've come a long way, but there's still work to be done.

As a white male I've been in a similar situation where I've been out in a small town environment with an African-American coworker of mine who is my age. While I didn't originally notice her being treated any differently, after we left she mentioned it and looking back I did realize that the waitress spoke to her through me--for example: "and what would your friend like?" I didn't think twice about it, but I can see why it was off-putting to her.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:26 AM

16 posts, read 45,031 times
Quote:
I'm a Black woman from Winston and have very limited experience with Lexington, but I do sometimes feel a certain discomfort in area small towns. It's less palpable when I'm with a White friend than when I'm alone or with another Black person. It's not exactly blatant, but it definitely can be felt. Not speaking of Cook's in particular, but given the history of BBQ restaurants in NC and elsewhere, the racism isn't always a perception. My aunt grew up during segregation and my grandfather would send her to Hills BBQ to get food. She had to go to the back window to pick it up because we weren't allowed inside of the lobby. However, almost the entire kitchen staff were Black. She said she wouldn't patronize that place for years afterward. Those memories and the legacy of those ugly times aren't as easily forgotten or swept under the rug as some folks would like, but they are all too real to those who experienced it and their loved ones.

I'm a city guy and I myself feel some discomfort in small towns. I know plenty of small town and suburban folks who feel discomfort in larger cities. That's just one factor of anxiety.

Race is certainly a factor of anxiety as well. Whether it's a white in a majority non-white area, or a black in a majority white area, or some other like scenario, I think it's human nature for people to feel some level of discomfort when they're in an environment that isn't their everyday norm. And in a way, I think oftentimes we all look to justify that discomfort by pointing to something that may or may not really be there (racism, for example) as an excuse to avoid those situations.

Of course, being the minority in a situation, which oftentimes blacks are, can be challenging--and I wish more white people were sympathetic to this circumstance. I feel we should all try to make people feel welcomed and comfortable in all situations regardless of race--to me, that's just having manners and being a nice person.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I don't think she meant it the way you took it. She started by saying she's from a more populated, city area (Winston) and said she felt some discomfort in nearby small towns. I don't think that implies Lexington is racist. If anything it speaks to how people can quickly get a little uncomfortable when outside of their comfort zone. A woman I work with lives in King and thinks downtown Winston is a scary place. That blows my mind--I'd feel comfortable sleeping on the street in Winston--but to each his/her own; people are used to what they're used to.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:51 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity how is it you are made to feel uncomfortable? Do you feel people stare at you? Are you self conscious of your skin color? Do you hear people whisper?
Feel free to PM me so this doesn't turn into an all out race war.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Where? Umm, in your post. I even provided you the exact quote. You're attempting top apply a generalized feeling to a specific place, Lexington, without offering any reason, other than something about things that happened everywhere decades ago.

I'm not the least bit upset, which trying to point out that you aren't answering the OP's specific question, only providing outdated generalities. And you're slamming Lexington on the process, which isn't fair.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKing718 View Post
I don't think she meant it the way you took it. She started by saying she's from a more populated, city area (Winston) and said she felt some discomfort in nearby small towns. I don't think that implies Lexington is racist. If anything it speaks to how people can quickly get a little uncomfortable when outside of their comfort zone. A woman I work with lives in King and thinks downtown Winston is a scary place. That blows my mind--I'd feel comfortable sleeping on the street in Winston--but to each his/her own; people are used to what they're used to.

Perhaps not, but I'm not sure how else to take it. The OP asked a very specific question, which was answered with some sort of generalization about things that happened decades ago.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Perhaps not, but I'm not sure how else to take it. The OP asked a very specific question, which was answered with some sort of generalization about things that happened decades ago.
"Those memories and the legacy of those ugly times aren't as easily forgotten or swept under the rug as some folks would like, but they are all too real to those who experienced it and their loved ones."

I took this to mean that ugly things that have occurred in the past, even if not experienced directly but told through stories passed down, play a role in the discomfort/anxiety a person may feel when outside of their element. I didn't take it to mean she was saying Lexington is a racist place. It's really an issue of psychology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point