Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:33 PM

51 posts, read 72,116 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

I have a job offer /promotion with my company that would take me to the Charlotte area.
It would be a multi unit manager position with locations from Charlotte to Roanoke, Virginia.
Over half the locations would be in the Charlotte area and to the north. The rest, spread from Greensboro to Roanoke.
We are a family of 4 with 2 boys aged 11 and 14. We currently live on 4 acres in Idaho on the Snake river, but are honestly tired of the work involved with such a property. Would be looking for something in a smaller suburb at around $300k for the home. Like to have less than an acre in a nice neighborhood where house are not right on top of one another. We currently live in a town of 5,000 people outside a town of 60,000. We enjoy camping, hunting, fishing, and shooting sports. Youngest son plays football, so positive youth sports would be important.
We are completely ignorant about NC. We visited a sister that has since moved in the early 2000's in Fayetteville. We traveled from there to Wilmington and also went to a zoo in Asheboro. That is the extent of our NC knowledge, so any advice, feedback, do's and dont's would be so appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 06:27 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
You also posted on the Charlotte board...can you decide where you live? How far from Charlotte do you want/need to be?

In the Triad, I'd recommend places like Clemmons, Lewisville and Pfafftown on the west side of Winston-Salem; Kernersville in the middle of Triad; northern Davidson County; and Oak Ridge and Summerfield just outside Greensboro.

I assume you'll be coming to NC for a visit?

Old 08-10-2017, 06:44 AM

239 posts, read 306,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You also posted on the Charlotte board...can you decide where you live? How far from Charlotte do you want/need to be?

In the Triad, I'd recommend places like Clemmons, Lewisville and Pfafftown on the west side of Winston-Salem; Kernersville in the middle of Triad; northern Davidson County; and Oak Ridge and Summerfield just outside Greensboro.

You'd recommend pfafftown?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:13 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
You'd recommend pfafftown?
What's wrong with Pfafftown? Some beautiful homes, a nice part of the county (terrain-wise), good schools. I'd give Lewisville or Clemmons the edge as Pfafftown isn't as convenient to the interstates (which sounds like something that would be important in this case), but it's not a bad option.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

Yes I posted in Charlotte as well. It was recommended by another poster that I post in both.
My job would have me traveling between cities often so I am flexible as to where I would live.
I'm not real sure what you mean by can I decide where to live?
That is the purpose of my post. To help decide where to live if I take the position.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:07 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
What's wrong with Pfafftown?
No one can pronounce it.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:41 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan21 View Post
Yes I posted in Charlotte as well. It was recommended by another poster that I post in both.
My job would have me traveling between cities often so I am flexible as to where I would live.
I'm not real sure what you mean by can I decide where to live?
That is the purpose of my post. To help decide where to live if I take the position.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
What I meant was, I thought perhaps your company was requiring you to live in Charlotte, since you posted in that forum and over half of your stores are located there.

Anyway, I think your first decision is to pick a general location. Charlotte, since over half the stores are there? The Triad, since its the midpoint of your territory? Somewhere else within the territory?

I provided several potential locations around the the Triad if you choose that route, that seem to roughly fit your criteria. Further investigation and a visit to them would seem to be the next step.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
How much of your time NEEDS to be in/near Charlotte?
Of the rest... how much control do YOU have over when/how you visit those locations?
Try to avoid having to pinball yourself all over the central NC Piedmont.

A schedule-able one week a month loop through with a few company paid hotel stays...
well, that's a very different scenario than circumstances dictating when you have to go.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:39 PM

I would want to visit each location bi-weekly on average. More for troubled locations. Hotel stays would be available if needed. I could visit 2 locations in a day, but that would not be optimum. Somewhere between Charlotte and Greensboro would be great, but not necessary if the area is not great. Looking just closer to Charlotte is also an option.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I would want to visit each location bi-weekly on average. More for troubled locations.
The question is whether YOU dictate/control those trips and visits or if its a 911 call you respond to.

Quote:
Somewhere between Charlotte and Greensboro would be great...
Looking just closer to Charlotte is also an option.
You need to visit and drive around... I'd allow a week.
Or... you could just throw a dart at a map. LINK

Quote:
...locations from Charlotte to Roanoke, Virginia. Over half the locations would be in the Charlotte area
...The rest, spread from Greensboro to Roanoke.
That's a VERY large territory. With the BULK at one end that's tough. MAP

Last edited by MrRational; 08-12-2017 at 06:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point