Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:15 PM

33 posts, read 53,774 times

Advertisements

My mom and I currently live in Mount Pleasant (Charleston area), SC and are considering a move to Winston-Salem. She will be 70 and I will be 50. We are both single and she will be semi-retired while I will continue to work. We’ve been focusing on smaller towns that have a lively, historic downtown and populations somewhere around 50k, but would also be interested in something similar outside of a larger city. Priorities include reduced cost of living, convenience (walking/biking distance ideally) to shopping and restaurants, 4 seasons (without the harsh winter), and outdoor activities (hiking, walking, adventures with the dog) . Obviously, we would be interested in all the ‘usuals’ as well- proximity to healthcare, safety, etc. We’ve never been to WS but are looking to visit early next year. As we’ve begun our research, we are looking into 2 types of living situations (we will be ‘roommates’ in either scenario, along with the dog): a master planned community with amenities or a home that’s near a downtown area with restaurants, etc – ideally under $300k. I don’t think we necessarily want to be located centrally in downtown WS, however. We are currently living together in a smaller development (50 homes) with mostly younger families and a few younger singles who are still in the partying phase- looking for something a little quieter though still lively. Are there neighborhoods/areas we should consider? Given what we’re looking for, do you think WS would fit the bill? We are also looking into areas in TN and VA. Any information/suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 12:31 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Ardmore would be the perfect neighborhood for you. The West End neighborhood might also work, and possibly West Salem or Washington Park. I think W-S fits whats your looking for.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:42 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichon18 View Post
She will be 70 and I will be 50.
We are both single and she will be semi-retired while I will continue to work.
Doing what? With 15-20 years remaining before retirement...
being in/near an ideal employment situation should top the list.

Quote:
We are also looking into areas in TN and VA.
Given what we’re looking for, do you think WS would fit the bill?
There are twenty places in the region that you could manage to shoe horn your way in to...
The usual culprits that everyone is recommended to: Ardmore, West End, Washington Park
and you could probably be okay enough with any of them.

But to "fit the bill" ? No... not really.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:42 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
My mom and I currently live in Mount Pleasant (Charleston area), SC and are considering a move to Winston-Salem. She will be 70 and I will be 50. We are both single and she will be semi-retired while I will continue to work. We’ve been focusing on smaller towns that have a lively, historic downtown and populations somewhere around 50k, but would also be interested in something similar outside of a larger city. Priorities include reduced cost of living, convenience (walking/biking distance ideally) to shopping and restaurants, 4 seasons (without the harsh winter), and outdoor activities (hiking, walking, adventures with the dog) . Obviously, we would be interested in all the ‘usuals’ as well- proximity to healthcare, safety, etc. We’ve never been to WS but are looking to visit early next year. As we’ve begun our research, we are looking into 2 types of living situations (we will be ‘roommates’ in either scenario, along with the dog): a master planned community with amenities or a home that’s near a downtown area with restaurants, etc – ideally under $300k. I don’t think we necessarily want to be located centrally in downtown WS, however. We are currently living together in a smaller development (50 homes) with mostly younger families and a few younger singles who are still in the partying phase- looking for something a little quieter though still lively. Are there neighborhoods/areas we should consider? Given what we’re looking for, do you think WS would fit the bill? We are also looking into areas in TN and VA. Any information/suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated! Thank you!
While both Winston Salem and Greensboro have areas that fulfill your requirement, I would also urge you to check out cities like Charlottesville VA or Durham NC as well.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Thanks for suggestions! We are looking into Charlottesville area as well ( Staunton, Blacksburg, etc) and will likely do a road trip soon to narrow down options. I'll most likely either be teaching or working remotely but obviously wouldn't move until I had secured employment. While a smaller town a la Charlottesville-esque is sort of the ideal, we are also not opposed to somewhat larger and living in a fun neighborhood on the outskirts that has some restaurant/shopping opportunities. We lived in Apex about 10 years ago and are also considering that area. Any other recs in North Carolina would be welcome (oh, also thinking about New Bern) or other insight into Winston-Salem area. Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2018, 04:10 PM

10 posts, read 10,205 times
Nichon18, what did you end up picking?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Not sure yet- doing a big road trip this summer to check out locations!

Old 01-18-2018, 09:09 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Quote:
Not sure yet- doing a big road trip this summer to check out locations!
I lived in Mt P for years. I moved back to Greensboro when my elderly parents needed me. I grew up here. I'm not as familiar with Winston as I am with Greensboro, but please feel free to PM me if I can help.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:45 PM

thank you!

Old 02-05-2018, 07:09 PM

615 posts, read 537,928 times
You may want to consider Birkdale Village in Huntersville , NC. Or you could consider Davidson, NC. Both are walkable and both are approximately 15-20 miles north of downtown Charlotte. In the Charlotte area is also the South Park area. All three communities are walkable with numerous restaurants. Birkdale and South Park also offer significant shopping. Before making the trip,I would evaluate on line to see if many properties are in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point