Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 08:01 AM

62 posts, read 146,453 times

Advertisements

What do you all like and dislike about UNC-Greenboro for prospective student thinking of attending there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 03:00 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,518 times
I moved here in May, and am not a student, but like you, a prospective one.
I'm older, so I wish there were more appreciate for the adult student crowd there...it could be bigger. But I have noticed occasional free parking, which is nice. I don't think their football team is so great, but
the location in the city is convenient, it's central. The homes surrounding the campus tend to historical homes which rent out to the college crowd. Some areas are not as safe, but that is very, very typical of college areas, period. All in all, I think it seems like a very average American college campus. Not bad, not great. For me personally, I got a much better happy vibe from the Wake Forest University campus in Winston-Salem than that and all the others in in the Triad or Triangle for that matter. Sorry Duke! Sorry Chapel Hill! It's just how Angie feels.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 AM

903 posts, read 3,506,126 times
Hi there,

Our son is a student at UNCG, and there are a lot of things going for this school. Granted, I AM a bit biased! Angie/sushi, I don't think the school has a football team; not all the schools in the UNC system have football. There are other sports, but since our son is not involved in the athletic programs, I can't say about the performance there.

Back to the school itself; I suppose it depends on your intended major, indiantraildude. As far as I know, each campus of UNC has several degree programs they specialize in. We used to live within commuting distance of UNCG, and knew quite a few students and graduates from there over the years.

One thing that I will point out... it seems the campus is growing by leaps and bounds. I don't know how UNCG's "growth" compares to other colleges, but it is getting too big for my taste. Housing shortages abound, both on and off campus. Angie got that one right on the head; and there are certainly not so safe areas very close to the school.

Good luck with your search; I'm sure you will make the right decision.

Mary

Old 11-27-2008, 06:47 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Hi there,

Our son is a student at UNCG, and there are a lot of things going for this school. Granted, I AM a bit biased! Angie/sushi, I don't think the school has a football team; not all the schools in the UNC system have football.
OMG, I am such a dork! *snort* (LMAO!) That would certainly explain the lack of, um, praise(?!?!) for the UNCG football team. Duh! Mother Mary, full of grace, I ask for thine forgiveness...

Something similar happened to me about WFU. AT first I didn't know that they had a FB team, then I saw they did. Was surprised, liked the school colors. Turns out their team really kicks some serious butt. Every year I learn more and more about football, finally. My hubby is great. Not that I haven't tried. My Dad watched it growing up, but would never talk to me about it (though when my brother was born, first thing he got him was a football). I played until the "strawberries" came, with neighborhood boys, but pretty much, yeah, just shunned and then seen as stupid and naive about the game. How self-reinforcing!

I like Football alot! One year, my hubby did some really awesome things and I bought him NFL tickets (well, for both of us) as his Father's Day present, to go see the Redskins vs. The Giants. And of course, it was **awesome**.

..............I would like to root for a local team or NC college, but honestly, I'm not familiar with any of the teams here down south. (Though I will say I will never root for the Jax Jaguars.) Extending this thread some....who likes which schools' team the best? Are the players expected really to do well in school or is the old mask? What do you guys think?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:22 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,814 times
I attended UNC-Charlotte 11 years ago but I do like the campus of UNC-Greensboro better. I guess because its a much older school, 2nd oldest in the UNC system after UNC Chapel Hill. I also like it better because its an urban campus outside of downtown and there is a nice historic neighborhood nearby called College Hill. The area has alot of Character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point