Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 11,840 times

Advertisements

I've just accepted a job downtown in Winston that starts on the 19th... I'm incredibly excited! I'll be moving 4 hours south from Charlottesville, VA. As part of the move, I'm looking for an apartment to stay in for 6 months to a year, while I wait to see if the job will be worth moving here permanently for.

Basically, my only qualifications for an apartment are that they are:

- within 20 minutes of my office
- pet friendly
- under $600 / month
- a place where it's unlikely I'll be shot/stabbed/robbed

That last point is where I need your help. I've narrowed my search to 10 complexes that meet the REST of the criteria, and I'm looking for locals to tell me if any of these complexes are in high-crime / dangerous areas:

Kensington Village - (479 Louise Wilson Lane)
Ardmore Terrace/Cloverdale - (2325 Cloverdale Avenue)
Chesterfield Apts - (3411 Old Vineyard Rd)
Glendare Park - (240 Village Crossing lane)
Woodsmill - (748 Jonestown Rd)
Willow Trace - (114-1 Willow Trace Cir)
Trails at Bethabara - (1620 Woods Rd)
Plaza West - (4825 Commercial Plaza St)
Carolina Woods - (1520 Woods Rd)
Sherwood Station - (3535 Beacon Hill Dr)

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I'm incredibly excited to start life in Winston!

Last edited by rohlinmt; 07-07-2010 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: * links didn't work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 03:24 PM

By the way, I've tried the police-to-citizen web site, and all that really did was make all of these places seem horrible! "Autobreaking", "Assault by strangulation", "Malicious Injury to Property", etc...

That's why I'd love to hear from you guys which of these places to truly avoid, and which are just... I don't know... having a bad week?

Thanks again.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 PM

236 posts, read 552,760 times
Avoid Glendare Park, Sherwood Station, Willow Trace, and Carolina Woods. Before I moved here I did some research on these places and seems there is several issues with each. I am not sure about the others. Try doing a search for a website where tenants have left complaints. Then go from there.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the response, Joyce!

I've been checking out the apartmentranking reviews, and also the google reviews... and they're all pretty mixed. At times it's hard to differentiate the people who are slamming complexes because they feel wronged by the complex, and those who have legitimate concerns.

That's why I'm hoping people such as yourself will pop up and say things like "I drive past Plaza West on my way to work, and there are always cops and seedy people over there... it's in a bad part of town."

Thanks again for the response! Every little bit helps... I'm actually planning on checking out a lot of these places Saturday.

Anyone else have thoughts? experiences? suggestions?

Old 07-09-2010, 03:35 AM

201 posts, read 594,272 times
Zip codes would help me to place some of these but see my few notes below:

Kensington Village - (479 Louise Wilson Lane)
Ardmore Terrace/Cloverdale - (2325 Cloverdale Avenue) NO!!! Terrible seedy area!!!
Chesterfield Apts - (3411 Old Vineyard Rd) Maybe-there are several complexes in this area
Glendare Park - (240 Village Crossing lane)
Woodsmill - (748 Jonestown Rd) Close to Old Vineyard-VERY populated area of town
Willow Trace - (114-1 Willow Trace Cir)
Trails at Bethabara - (1620 Woods Rd) Possibility, close to bad areas but Bethabara itself is nice area
Plaza West - (4825 Commercial Plaza St)
Carolina Woods - (1520 Woods Rd)
Sherwood Station - (3535 Beacon Hill Dr) Maybe, not far from affluent area of Sherwood Forest

I personally suggest you stay away from communities stating they have apartment assistance, can't remember the letters they use for it. I used to live in Fox Creek Apts. in the mid 90's and they were safe then-lots of families and dog friendly. Also lived in a townhome in the Jonestown/Healy/Old Vineyard area.

I really think you should come down and visit several areas of town. There are TOO MANY choices and really being within 20 minutes of your job is easy since traffic is no issue down here. I live south of W/S and work in north W/S and it takes me 20 minutes going up 52.

Remember the bad thing about apartments is they hold a LOT of people so yes the community overall might be nice with a few people with records living there. That is why it helps to drive thru the neighborhood, see the kind of people walking around and types of cars sitting in the parking lot.

I know there are apartments downtown and I see people walking dogs but they might be higher than $600 a month. Sorry I couldn't be more help on the ones you listed, they sound familiar but I can't place them by street name.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:14 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Just one quibble with Trese's response above--Ardmore Terrace is not a "terrible seedy area." It's located in the shadow of Baptist Hospital, on the edge of the quite tidy Ardmore neighborhood, and easy walking distance to the Thruway and Cloverdale shopping areas. The area is not seedy at all, but the apartments themselves appear dated from the outside. I've never been in one so I don't know about the inside, nor do I know anything about the type of people living there. I'd guess they get a lot of nursing/medical people living there due to the location, so I would think overall it's not a bad place for those on a tight budget. I'd say don't rule it out without looking at them.

I would avoid Plaza West as it appears to be rather seedy, at least from the quick glances you get from riding by on 421. Other than that, I don't know much about the other places on your list. Good luck in your search!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 PM

OK, I was thinking of some other apartments on the east side of Cloverdale, near Peters Creek Pkwy, deifnitely not a safe neighborhood after dark.

If these are closer to Knollwood and Miller Park, etc...then that is a nicer area but if they are the ones I am thinking of they are extremely old apartments?? Maybe they have been renovated?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 PM

Thank you all so much for all of your help!

My wife and I will be loading up tomorrow morning to go check out each of these places firsthand... I'll write back letting you know which place we choose! Thank you all again for all of your time and assistance!

Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 AM

Hello-how was your visit here this past weekend??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point