Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times

Advertisements

We will be taking 81 up north to see family. We'd like to stop one night along the way to break the trip up. Are there any neat, small towns along the way at the halfway point, give or take? Maybe, something that has a cute/cool downtown. We won't be there for long but something to do for part of the day, an afternoon. Not looking for a big city because we just won't have the time to enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 12:57 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times
Winchester, Virginia at the top of the Shenandoah Valley. It has a very cute downtown Historic Walking Mall with lots of independent restaurants and some cute shops. There is also George Washington's office, the Museum of the Shenandoah, Stonewall Jackson's headquarters and Patsy Cline's childhood home that is open for tours.

The city officials have visited and worked with a development group from Greenville to get advice -- you'll feel right at home. lol

It is directly on I-81 so it'll only take about a ten minute drive from the interstate to the Historic downtown.

Have a safe trip!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Winchester, Virginia at the top of the Shenandoah Valley. It has a very cute downtown Historic Walking Mall with lots of independent restaurants and some cute shops. There is also George Washington's office, the Museum of the Shenandoah, Stonewall Jackson's headquarters and Patsy Cline's childhood home that is open for tours.

The city officials have visited and worked with a development group from Greenville to get advice -- you'll feel right at home. lol

It is directly on I-81 so it'll only take about a ten minute drive from the interstate to the Historic downtown.

Have a safe trip!
Just what I was looking for. It gets us more than halfway there and then we can spend time downtown. BTW, looks like a cool town and reminds me of downtown Greenville. Thanks for the advice. Any advice on inexpensive hotels nearby for the night?

Old 07-08-2014, 02:10 PM

Winchester's a cute little city and they're working hard to keep the downtown thriving.

Old Town Winchester, VA - Welcome!

Not sure about hotels but there are a number at the Shenandoah University exit. There is a Hilton Garden Inn. I don't know about this one specifically but we've stayed at others.

There's lots of good restaurants -- I love Thai Winchester, but EM, Piccadilly Brew Pub, Violinos, Union Jack are all pretty good.

Have a great trip!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:56 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times
My vote goes for Winchester, Virginia also.

As for restaurants, Denny's, 1603 Martinsburg Pike, Winchester, VA 22603-4612 has been very good.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 AM

We booked a room there and are looking forward to it. Has anyone tried Sweet Caroline's?

Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,369,928 times
I would also stop by the Roy Rogers when you pass by the Hagerstown, MD exit of I-81. And if you had time, you could take I-66 from I-81 and venture into the DC area, as you are already on the periphary.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 PM

I've never been to Sweet Caroline's. It's too young for me. I know there have been problems there occasionally but I think it depends on who's performing.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I've never been to Sweet Caroline's. It's too young for me. I know there have been problems there occasionally but I think it depends on who's performing.
I was thinking more of possibly eating there earlier in the evening. The reviews look decent.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I would also stop by the Roy Rogers when you pass by the Hagerstown, MD exit of I-81. And if you had time, you could take I-66 from I-81 and venture into the DC area, as you are already on the periphary.
It would be nice but I'm not sure we'd have enough time for a big city this time. Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area