Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:30 AM

57 posts, read 141,931 times

Advertisements

I've noticed lately that alot of women in the Greenville area wear ankle bracelets. What is the significance of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
My own off-the-cuff (so to speak) answer: It's a fashion trend that has been around for quite a while. To the best of my knowledge, it's not geographic-specific, except that it would seem logical that it might be more prevalent in warmer climates where the ankle is more exposed more of the time.

I googled it and found:

From wiki.answers: Although some people may like to think there is a meaning (such as one side representing heterosexuality and the other the opposite), there is no common definition. It simply means that is the ankle you prefer to wear the bracelet on.

Though the above may be true for most people one should note that in some circles/lifestyles the wearing of an ankle bracelet DOES have significant meaning. In somewhat recent history (20-30yrs) the wearing of an anklet was generally considered to indicate the wearer was "available" for the right price. More recently however, if someone is involved in the "swinging" lifestyle you may find a piece of jewelry around an ankle, generally the right but not always, indicating that she is available & looking (even if there is a ring on her finger). But of course sometimes, in fact, most times, the ankle bracelet is just another piece of jewelry because it makes her feel pretty.

From bjbead dot com: An anklet or ankle bracelet is a chain or other material worn around the ankle. There are specific ankle bracelet meanings attached to this fashion jewelry in many countries depending on their traditions and beliefs.

The ancient Sumerians lived in the Mesopotamian region about 4500 years ago. Unearthed Sumerian graves show that this civilization was the first in recorded history to leave evidence of wearing ankle bracelets. The ankle bracelets meaning that the ancient Sumerian civilization attached to this jewelry was that when worn by a woman it was an indication of the wealth of her husband. It is recorded the Sumerians wore finger rings, toe rings and necklaces. In ancient Egypt, people enjoyed wearing jewelry. The upper classes were well known for coveting beautiful pieces of jewelry and were very trendy and interested in fashion. The poorer classes resorted to wearing ankle bracelets which they believed to bring good luck and fortune. The ankle bracelet became popular in the United States in the twentieth century. A common belief is that wearing the ankle on one side represents heterosexuality and wearing it on the other side represents homosexuality.

Today, people enjoy the sparkle of a dainty ankle bracelet and wear all types, from a slim silver one to a more chunky costume jewelry anklet.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:42 AM

212 posts, read 423,034 times
meh. They aren't really THAT common.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:46 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
I've seen them sold on QVC for years, but I've never owned or worn one. Probably a generational thing to a certain extent... I'm a Boomer.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:02 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Great post, roadpony. Yes, jewelry as adornment has been around since early times, including ankle jewelry. Most museums have wonderful pieces on view. Check out Egyptian paintings and sculpture...they adored jewelry and in that case, it did have significant meaning.

There can be specific reasons, or not.... just like wearing earrings etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
My own off-the-cuff (so to speak) answer: It's a fashion trend that has been around for quite a while. To the best of my knowledge, it's not geographic-specific, except that it would seem logical that it might be more prevalent in warmer climates where the ankle is more exposed more of the time.

I googled it and found:

From wiki.answers: Although some people may like to think there is a meaning (such as one side representing heterosexuality and the other the opposite), there is no common definition. It simply means that is the ankle you prefer to wear the bracelet on.

Though the above may be true for most people one should note that in some circles/lifestyles the wearing of an ankle bracelet DOES have significant meaning. In somewhat recent history (20-30yrs) the wearing of an anklet was generally considered to indicate the wearer was "available" for the right price. More recently however, if someone is involved in the "swinging" lifestyle you may find a piece of jewelry around an ankle, generally the right but not always, indicating that she is available & looking (even if there is a ring on her finger). But of course sometimes, in fact, most times, the ankle bracelet is just another piece of jewelry because it makes her feel pretty.

From bjbead dot com: An anklet or ankle bracelet is a chain or other material worn around the ankle. There are specific ankle bracelet meanings attached to this fashion jewelry in many countries depending on their traditions and beliefs.

The ancient Sumerians lived in the Mesopotamian region about 4500 years ago. Unearthed Sumerian graves show that this civilization was the first in recorded history to leave evidence of wearing ankle bracelets. The ankle bracelets meaning that the ancient Sumerian civilization attached to this jewelry was that when worn by a woman it was an indication of the wealth of her husband. It is recorded the Sumerians wore finger rings, toe rings and necklaces. In ancient Egypt, people enjoyed wearing jewelry. The upper classes were well known for coveting beautiful pieces of jewelry and were very trendy and interested in fashion. The poorer classes resorted to wearing ankle bracelets which they believed to bring good luck and fortune. The ankle bracelet became popular in the United States in the twentieth century. A common belief is that wearing the ankle on one side represents heterosexuality and wearing it on the other side represents homosexuality.

Today, people enjoy the sparkle of a dainty ankle bracelet and wear all types, from a slim silver one to a more chunky costume jewelry anklet.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:55 PM

121 posts, read 244,536 times
I've worn them for years (warmer weather only) and if there's a meaning, then I'm completely clueless. I just like them because they are pretty.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:44 PM

807 posts, read 1,783,880 times
I am with Elizza. My husband bought me one years ago & had a Mickey Mouse head made for it. It is small and most people wouldn't know it as anything but a gold chain. I like it and at least I can take it off, unlike a tatoo. LOL.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 PM

306 posts, read 689,368 times
Ditto for me Elizzza. As soon as I stop wearing socks for the winter, the ankle bracelets go on. It has no meaning for me either.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 PM

271 posts, read 796,815 times
It's jewelry, same as any other. It's like asking why do women wear bracelets, or necklaces. It's pretty.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:15 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
I still have a set of ankle bracelets. [they match my sets of WRIST bracelets]

Hand and ankle restraints for anyone who didn't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area