Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 AM

116 posts, read 272,952 times

Advertisements

Having just completed a wonderful 6 weeks stay in Greenville with the goal of deciding that is where I would like to spend the next few years of my life, I have some questions that local residents hopefully can give me a feel for. I need to get a feel for additional costs compared to where I live now.

1. Regarding electricity, what are typical annual cost to heat and cool with electricity and/or with natural gas? If you could please provide a rough estimate with size of house and typical winter and summer thermostat settings, it would be great, and maybe age of house.

2. What are typical monthly costs for water and sewer?

3. Is is necessary to do bug extermination in summer and what is typical cost?
4. Do you use a home security system and what is the typical cost?

5. Just generally, if you moved to Greenville from a northern state, did you find living expenses less when including the things above and taxes, etc.

Thanks so much in advance for info, you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:38 PM

672 posts, read 1,418,046 times
1. We have an all electric house. 1600 s/f, 13 years old. Thermostat kept at 70 pretty much year-round. Our Spring and Fall bills are around $60 and our peak Summer and Winter bills around $120.

2. Our bill was recently changed from quarterly to monthly, and we are paying $25/mo.

3. We don't do any exterminating. I do keep busy with fire ant mounds and harmless spiders, though.

4. We don't use a home security system. We have a cute dog who will lick intruders to death.

5. I moved here from Illinois four years ago and I find the overall cost of living to be lower, especially gas and taxes. Insurance will be higher, unfortunately, but you can shop around for a comparable rate. Food is higher, too.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
1. We live in a 1,900 s.f. 2-story townhouse (neighbor on each side) with heat pump ... natural gas for heat, electric for cooling. Total annual electric/natural gas for 2010 & 2011 was $1500 ($125/mo) both years. We keep thermostat on 65-68 in winter and 72 in summer.

2. Water/sewer bill is roughly $30 +/- per month. Two adults in household, but hubby likes to wash our cars a lot.

3. Our HOA has an exterminator contract.

4. We don't have an alarm system.

5. We moved from North Carolina but I guess that doesn't count as a northern state.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:35 AM

116 posts, read 272,952 times
Great responses - thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area