Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,807,662 times

Advertisements

Opening this month in downtown Greenville: Growler Station | Fresh Craft Beer to Go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,444,623 times
Never heard of the place but it's excellent to see they have a location in NYC and out of all the places in the US they could've chosen for a 2nd location, they decided Downtown Greenville. Great!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 AM

81 posts, read 203,949 times
Does Greenville have the craft beer drinking population to support Community Tap, Greenville Beer Exchange, What's on Tap?, the new place off Church (forget the name), and now The Growler Station?

I enjoy craft beer and frequently visit The Community Tap. I just can't imagine all 5 of these places being successful (esp. with Publix, Total Wine, Greens also carrying craft beer).

Best of luck to all of them!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,845,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockside View Post
Does Greenville have the craft beer drinking population to support Community Tap, Greenville Beer Exchange, What's on Tap?, the new place off Church (forget the name), and now The Growler Station?

I enjoy craft beer and frequently visit The Community Tap. I just can't imagine all 5 of these places being successful (esp. with Publix, Total Wine, Greens also carrying craft beer).

Best of luck to all of them!
Publix? Publix carries a very limited selection of craft beer compared to these places. And i've never been to Greens, but I will give you that Total Wine does carry a good selection of some pretty great craft breweries.

The short answer to your question is no, I don't think that all of these places will be able to survive, but they do have some significant differences from one another.

The Gvl Beer Xchange has the amazing location directly behind Barleys and The Trappe Door, so someone can go have a great lunch/dinner and grab what ever crazy/amazing/rare brew they tried on the way home. They also are located close to many high end condos and apartments in the area, so i'm assuming they get a lot of repeat business from the neighborhood. They have about 12 taps, which isn't a ton, but enough for the smaller location they have. they do have a TON of rare bottles and cans though, and continue to update all the time. small store NO BAR takeout only

The Community Tap (from my perspective) is a little more hipster, a little more boutique, has the same amount of taps but less bottled beer and cans, while also selling wines. its location is in a developing artsy area, and I think their style fits their location well. small store but a little larger than the beer exchange I think. Maybe someone else can say more about it but I haven't been there enough to comment any more than that. NO BAR takeout only

Cork and Tap is very different. more of a relaxed beer and wine bar, front of the store is a few bottled beers and wine bottles with a tasting bar, back side is a full bar with 16 beers on tap and a dozen or so wines. and is an actual bar.they also have a food menu(Tapas) and tv's for sports or whatever. The difference from a regular bar being you can have a beer, then buy a growler to take home with you! great idea, I would say the location is ok, near that mill loft place.

Looks like this new Growler Station is almost exclusively growlers? their NYC store has like 70 beers on tap? that would be a cool place to check out. I don't know anything about it other than that as of yet.

Anyone have insight to Whats on Tap? I've not been there, not really near anywhere I visit I guess looks like about 20 taps, some wines in the middle of the store, a cooler with bottled beer, says they have a lounge but it looks like a couple couches set up in the corner with a tv... no bar that I can see.... near mauldin, simpsonville, five forks, and thats really all I know.

Anyway as you can see they do have some significant differences depending on your tastes, but I do think its a rather small market.

What I wish we would get? an Alamo Drafthouse

Old 05-10-2012, 04:03 PM

81 posts, read 203,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Publix? Publix carries a very limited selection of craft beer compared to these places. And i've never been to Greens, but I will give you that Total Wine does carry a good selection of some pretty great craft breweries.

The short answer to your question is no, I don't think that all of these places will be able to survive, but they do have some significant differences from one another.

The Gvl Beer Xchange has the amazing location directly behind Barleys and The Trappe Door, so someone can go have a great lunch/dinner and grab what ever crazy/amazing/rare brew they tried on the way home. They also are located close to many high end condos and apartments in the area, so i'm assuming they get a lot of repeat business from the neighborhood. They have about 12 taps, which isn't a ton, but enough for the smaller location they have. they do have a TON of rare bottles and cans though, and continue to update all the time. small store NO BAR takeout only

The Community Tap (from my perspective) is a little more hipster, a little more boutique, has the same amount of taps but less bottled beer and cans, while also selling wines. its location is in a developing artsy area, and I think their style fits their location well. small store but a little larger than the beer exchange I think. Maybe someone else can say more about it but I haven't been there enough to comment any more than that. NO BAR takeout only

Cork and Tap is very different. more of a relaxed beer and wine bar, front of the store is a few bottled beers and wine bottles with a tasting bar, back side is a full bar with 16 beers on tap and a dozen or so wines. and is an actual bar.they also have a food menu(Tapas) and tv's for sports or whatever. The difference from a regular bar being you can have a beer, then buy a growler to take home with you! great idea, I would say the location is ok, near that mill loft place.

Looks like this new Growler Station is almost exclusively growlers? their NYC store has like 70 beers on tap? that would be a cool place to check out. I don't know anything about it other than that as of yet.

Anyone have insight to Whats on Tap? I've not been there, not really near anywhere I visit I guess looks like about 20 taps, some wines in the middle of the store, a cooler with bottled beer, says they have a lounge but it looks like a couple couches set up in the corner with a tv... no bar that I can see.... near mauldin, simpsonville, five forks, and thats really all I know.

Anyway as you can see they do have some significant differences depending on your tastes, but I do think its a rather small market.

What I wish we would get? an Alamo Drafthouse
I would agree with your descriptions of the listed establishments. I mentioned Publix because regardless of their selection size they do carry some of the same brands. If I'm at Publix three times a week... I'm more likely to buy a six-pack there. That's a lost sale for the small guys.

I ultimately hope they are all successful. The one thing going for them is they are spread around town.

I also wish we had a concept like Alamo Drafthouse. I've known about them for years and their operation is top notch.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:53 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,766,570 times
The Growler Station opens today. Looks like they have a pretty decent promo for the first customers: Greenville Growler Station

Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,388,671 times
Here is an informative article about the unique taps at The Growler Station.

Growler Station opens in Greenville, but it's not just another beer store » Anderson Independent Mail

Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 AM

506 posts, read 1,223,423 times
Where is Cork and Tap? I did a google map search and nothing with that name came up at all, but it sounds like the type of place my wife and I would love to go to with friends to hang out and have some wine.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 AM

18 posts, read 30,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
See this thread:

New craft beer store - Woodruff Road/14

Old 05-25-2012, 07:40 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,766,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
Where is Cork and Tap? I did a google map search and nothing with that name came up at all,
See this thread: Cork & Tap - Mills Avenue

And their web site: Cork & Tap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area