Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:49 PM

10,085 posts, read 7,761,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I don't think anyone is saying Simpsonville is the ONLY area with cookie cutter homes, as a matter of fact I live in what might be considered a cookie cutter subdivision in Easley and i'm fine with it.

Simpsonville seems to have a lot of these homes, its something people might want to know about when they consider the area. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing, it fills a need. you seem to be bothered by it.
Just trying to understand why people describe it that way is all. It doesn't make much sense. There is so much more to the area than concentrating on small things like a few subdivisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 AM

212 posts, read 423,177 times
I worked in construction for a couple years right before the so-called collapse of the housing market. I was a finish carpenter, and worked on what would be considered custom homes. I must say that what a lot of people call "custom homes" are not as custom as people want to believe. They are NOT unique. There may not be two of the same house in the same subdivision, but the floor plans come out of books that are used all over the place. Honestly, I call them cookie-cutter, also. Maybe the cutter is a little more elaborate in some subdivisions, but that still means they aren't unique.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
So what as long as you have a roof over your head and its nice and isn't falling apart.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
So what as long as you have a roof over your head and its nice and isn't falling apart.
What do mean, so what? I am sticking to the topic. Feel free to disagree with my opinion, but we all have opinions, and that's what this forum is all about.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,917 times
I agree, So What. I am working with several families now that can not afford a custom home. They will end up in a subdivision where the homes are very much alike. But, they will own a home and be able to move up one day.
Do you people not think there are "cookie cutter homes" in Greenville. Give me a break.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Never said it was wrong to have cookie-cutter. I just think that a lot of the people who hold their noses so high because they think their homes were labeled as "custom" are a bit deluded.

FWIW, my house is a 1600 sq ft brick ranch that is almost 50 years old. It's nothing special, but I am not acting like it's something that it isn't. I like it, because it's mine. If people like their cookie-cutters, then I am glad, but don't act like it's something that it isn't.

Also, none of my comments have been specific to Simpsonville. Yes, there are cookie-cutters everywhere.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,858 times
Hi Guys,
Just came across this conversation and noticed that it was realitively recent. I am new to Simpsonville and SC in general. I was planning a short trip this week to Murrells Inlet, SC/ Myrtle Beach. Anyone have any good suggestions on where to stop on the drive along the way for local interesting attractions? I don't care how offbeat or quirky they are- just want to explore the countryside! Thanks for any assistance!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:45 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,917 times
The state museum in Columbia. It is in an old cotton mill and in an hour you will know a basic history of our great state.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
I think the word "custom" was born out of the post WWII era to differentiate it from the pre-fabricated house that was popular when the war ended. I worked for a builder/contractor/realtor/broker-owner. I was able to witness as houses came alive from the floor plan to the laying of sod and placement of a tree. Most subdivision builders offered 4 or 5 floor plans, basement, crawl or slab, 2 or 3 choices of exteriors, 3 or 4 choices of wood finish and cabinet design, choices of light fixtures, plumbing, door knobs, garage or not, shingle type, and carpet/linoleum colors. Generally speaking rafters and walls were pre-formed before it was delivered to the site. In this context it was less expensive for the buyer than building as needed on site.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 AM

271 posts, read 797,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post

Sure there is traffic on Fairview but what town doesn't have traffic in the main area? Even with the heavier traffic, it really isn't an issue or that much a bother.

There's more to the upstate than just Downtown Greenville.

So Fairview road is your main area? Ick...that's urban sprawl of the worst kind. That's the icing on the cookie-cutter....built a bunch of houses, where every 3rd house has the same floor plan, all with in an arm's reach of each other, then built a bunch of commmercial stuff around the corner, all within the same 3 block strip, and that's the main area. Ya can't get any more cookie cutter than that.

And from the areas that I've seen closer to downtown Simpsonville....it's alot of cookie-cutter neighborhoods right in town too.

I get that there are pockets here or there of "country" and pockets here and there of "big beautiful houses", and even a stand-alone, non-cookie cutter house here and there too....but the majority of Simpsonville IS Cookie-cutter. Wonder if OP lives in a cookie-cutter subdivision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area