Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 AM

506 posts, read 1,223,254 times

Advertisements

Our house is 19 years old and the roof is about done - we are going to have it replaced in April and we've been getting estimates. So far we have 3 estimates and Davis Roofing came in far below every other estimate for the exact same service - remove existing roof, replace plywood panels if needed, lay down new roof with 30 year architectural shingles.

Most of the estimates are in the $7000 range, but Davis came in at just over $5800. Anyone have experience with them? They also say they will finish the entire job in 1 day with a crew of 5-6. Other places will take 2-3 days. They've been in business for awhile and they seem genuine but as always I'm leery whenever I have to have something done that costs a lot of money.

Hopefully someone here has already used this company and can share their experience, or if anyone else has had their roof redone and had a good or bad experience with a company, please share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 AM

288 posts, read 949,541 times
We used B & F Roofing Company twice in the past two years. They do roofing and also vinyl siding. We used them for siding and were very happy with the final result. They sided the back of our two-story house and also a large garden house. They came in way under our other estimates and did a good job. They didn't always show up exactly on time and delayed the project a couple times due to illness, funeral, etc. but the price and work were so good that I was able to accept that. I got their name from a friend who also had them do a great job on their siding. If you call them, ask for references regarding their roofing work.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelcat View Post
We used B & F Roofing Company twice in the past two years. They do roofing and also vinyl siding. We used them for siding and were very happy with the final result. They sided the back of our two-story house and also a large garden house. They came in way under our other estimates and did a good job. They didn't always show up exactly on time and delayed the project a couple times due to illness, funeral, etc. but the price and work were so good that I was able to accept that. I got their name from a friend who also had them do a great job on their siding. If you call them, ask for references regarding their roofing work.
I actually did get a quote from B&F - it was $7100 compared to the $5885 from Davis Roofing. B&F did come in under the other quote I got from another roofing company by about $600 though. Still, Davis is looking like the cheapest option by far - it just makes me a bit nervous!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 PM

In my experience, it's usually better to go with a company that's reasonably priced and has good recommendations than it is to just go with the cheapest. I've been burned a couple of times and discovered that recommendations from unbiased people are worth their weight in gold. Davis may be fine, I don't know anything about them. Their low price and seemingly unrealistic turnaround time would make me nervous too. I'd definitely check them out on the Better Business Bureau web site and ask for references. A good roof job is pretty important. I am an experienced home remodeler and generally keep a close eye on any work that I'm not doing myself. With a roof, that's not really an option. Unless you feel like shimmying up that ladder anyway. :-) If you really wanted to compare the estimates, you could get the companies to list a breakdown of the costs, shingles, labor, flashing, etc., along with a detailed description of what's being done. For example, on a house the age of yours, you probably want to have all the vent boots replaced. Yet, I've seen new roofs put on with the old, weathered, cracked vent boots left. And, if you don't have a ridge vent, this might also be a good time have that installed. Little things like that are what cheap companies often skimp on.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM

234 posts, read 1,270,475 times
I too used B & F roofing. Had them do my roof end of December. They were the most expensive, but they really seemed to know what they are doing. They used top notch materials, excellent cleanup, and are great to talk with.

The difference between your quotes is 1215$ - but divide that by 30 years - your are talking around 40$ a year.

food for thought.
Leggo

Old 03-12-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
I too used B & F roofing. Had them do my roof end of December. They were the most expensive, but they really seemed to know what they are doing. They used top notch materials, excellent cleanup, and are great to talk with.

The difference between your quotes is 1215$ - but divide that by 30 years - your are talking around 40$ a year.

food for thought.
Leggo
I do think I'm going to call B&F back and see if I can negotiate the quote down a bit... I figure if I can get it within $500-600 of the other quote that would be nice, we'll see! While in theory the $40/yr thing is true, I doubt I'll be in this house more than another 5 years, so if I went with that its more like $243/yr. I've never had to replace a roof before, I wonder how it affects home value - I'm guessing it does some but not nearly by as much as it costs.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:48 PM

7 posts, read 21,959 times
I am also looking for a roofer in the Easley area. Of the three companies I called, Davis is the only one to show up and give me a quote. The other two made appointments to come and give estimates, and they never bothered to show up!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:40 PM

84 posts, read 203,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl1031 View Post
I am also looking for a roofer in the Easley area. Of the three companies I called, Davis is the only one to show up and give me a quote. The other two made appointments to come and give estimates, and they never bothered to show up!

I had the same problem in easley with tree guys. One showed out of 3 or 4 called with appointments!

Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl1031 View Post
Funny that you should mention that - I've called/scheduled estimates from 4 roofers so far, and only Davis and B&F showed up. Davis showed up the same day and left the estimate with me right then on the spot, B&F showed up randomly about a week later when I wasn't home and then mailed me the estimate a week or so after that (2 week turnaround).

Davis also accepts credit cards (B&F doesn't) so I'm tempted to have the roof done via CC and pay the 2% extra up front which is $105 or so, just to have the safety of being able to dispute charges with my credit card company if the work isn't satisfactory... I still have a few weeks to decide as I won't get my bonus until April 9th.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:16 PM

Concerning Davis Roofing -- buyer beware. They have an "F" rating on the Better Business Bureau web site, resulting from numerous complaints. People have to go out of their way to report to the BBB so I'd say of all the complaints actually registered, there are probably a lot more that go unreported. I don't know Davis Roofing and have nothing against them but feel everybody should be informed before making such an expensive decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area