Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,015 times

Advertisements

I'm in town for the next two days. I'm visiting mostly out of curiosity as I'm mulling possibly moving in the next couple of years (Greenville's on the short list based on internet research so far.). All I'm really looking for right now is to get a sense of the vibe downtown. Tomorrow I basically plan on spending several hours downtown just walking around, taking in the scene, casually checking things out, snapping some photos. I guess I'm just looking for a first impression. I have the legs to spend all day walking the streets, as I've done several times on the streets of my namesake, but I don't want to cover every inch of the city. Basically I want the core of downtown, and to not wander into an unsafe area. So what four streets should define the area of my stroll tomorrow?

Wednesday I'll be checking out a couple of Greenville's neighboring towns. I wish I had more time, but I couldn't get but so much time off. I don't live too, too far away (about six hours), so I can come back another time or two if I get a good impression.

Thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 05:46 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
Here's a really good map outlining the central business district: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/GIS/maps...ssDistrict.pdf The only real area I would avoid or not worth seeing is west of the red colored area with the exception of the Swamp Rabbit Trail: http://www.greenvillerec.com/swamprabbit Everything to the north, south, and east of the red colored area is fairly nice but mostly residential with some office space. Check out Cleveland Park (home to the Greenville Zoo) which is not in the red colored area but next to it on the east side if you get a chance: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/ParksRec...evelandmap.pdf

Old 11-04-2013, 05:58 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,762,351 times
Assuming broad daylight for this:

For the central core, Main Street from the Hyatt/NOMA Square to the ball park Fluor field.
From the ball park, go down Augusta Street to the Brick Street Cafe, then back toward Main Street.
At Falls Park walk up and down River Place / and the Swamp Rabbit Trail for a block or 2 each way.
Also Camperdown way to River Street
Continuing back: the cross street Broad Street from River to just past the Church St underpass
Cross street Court Street between River and Falls Streets

Other cross streets can be explored, roughly defined by Church St (US 29) to Academy (US 123).

Also walk down College Street to Heritage Green which houses some museums, etc. This area has some construction going on right now to improve signage, etc.

If you have time permitting, you can continue north on Main Street past the Hyatt until Stone Avenue - a bit hilly but you'll get a feel for some of the surroundings.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:27 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,015 times
Thank you! Very helpful!

And yes, broad daylight for walking around, roughly 10 am to 4 or 5 pm. Then I'll take in a nice dinner downtown, possibly visit some stores if I don't get to them when I'm walking. Not really a shopper, mostly books and record stores are what interest me most. Seems likely I'll be downtown just about all day. Are there any parking lots or decks that charge a flat or low all day rate?

Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,762,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Seems likely I'll be downtown just about all day. Are there any parking lots or decks that charge a flat or low all day rate?
For free daytime parking, there's University Square where the county offices are located, off University Ridge. It's only a block or 2 to Augusta Street from there.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:44 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Are there any parking lots or decks that charge a flat or low all day rate?
There are a number of flat lots on the West End (S Main St near Augusta) that are $5 flat fee.

Also many downtown garages have a max daily rate of $6.

There's a parking map on the page below, and each city owned facility has an icon that you can click on to get more info, including rates.

Downtown Parking Search

Old 11-05-2013, 01:13 PM

505 posts, read 940,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Here's a really good map outlining the central business district: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/GIS/maps...ssDistrict.pdf
That's a good map. I think that would be your best answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area