Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:53 AM

31 posts, read 45,170 times

Advertisements

Moving into our new apartment in just under three weeks and I need your help. Which is better At&t U-Verse or Direct tv? We like to have fast internet, streaming movies and videos, secure network, food network, Yes network, national geographic, weather, family, USA, Disney, Hallmark, Animal Planet, TV Land some movie channels and I am sure there are others but these are the basic MUST HAVES.
Of these two companies, who has better products, services, customer service and pricing.
Any and all information is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 11:55 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
If you have access to U-verse, take it! Few in the area do, but I believe there are some places where it is available

Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times
We had and liked U-Verse (better channel selection for us than Charter). We have Charter for internet only now, and while it's a bit faster, it's not nearly as stable as U-Verse was (this is at the only place that we've lived in the Upstate, so it doesn't represent much experience, or the experience that you'll have).

We've never had sattelite, so I can't really compare them.

Keep in mind that Direct TV won't provide you with internet, so it may be cheaper to bundle internet and TV from U-Verse (it may not be, you'll just have to run the numbers).

Old 01-02-2014, 12:30 PM

DirecTV is running an ad in the paper promoting their high speed internet. Last time I checked (years ago) it was very expensive and was satellite driven. Charter isn't the best internet but it is the best high speed option in town.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Charter. **runs and hides**

Old 01-02-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Charter. **runs and hides**
lol

OP, in case you don't know, Charter is the worst rated company in the nation.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 PM

423 posts, read 899,261 times
Most apartment complexes and multi-family housing prohibits installation of satellite dishes. I would check with the property manager before signing a contract.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:47 PM

467 posts, read 542,296 times
the bad thing about Uverse is you are locked into a contract with them and have to pay a penalty to get out of it.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
Most apartment complexes and multi-family housing prohibits installation of satellite dishes. I would check with the property manager before signing a contract.
Good catch gvlgal! I didn't even notice that. OP did you notice if other units have a satellite dish outside? If not you probably cannot go that route. The complex my daughter used to live at off Haywood Rd. is exclusively Charter; I suppose that is possible where you are moving too. Best check with the rental office first.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
the bad thing about Uverse is you are locked into a contract with them and have to pay a penalty to get out of it.
I believe they all do it now. Dtv does AND apperently they can renew it when ever they want. Our box broke after 2 yrs and we needed a new one, no word of a new contract was ever mentioned until we tried to cancel this week. In reading about their deceptive practices many said if they tried to get Directv but a satellite couldn't be installed they were still charged the huge cancellation fee. OP, be very careful. Charter was the only company that didnt require a contract but doesn't give discounts if you do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area