Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 5,021 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My family and I are considering a move to the Upstate SC area and not really sure where exactly yet. She may be getting transferred to Spartanburg, SC. We need to make a trip, but so far I like what I see online about Simpsonville, SC. Although, I'm really not too sure what the travel for her would be like with traffic and distance.

I work as a Sr. Software Engineer in NY and if we decide to relocate due to my wife's job, I would most likely be working remote for my current employer. However, nothing is ever guaranteed and that brings up the question of what the Upstate SC job market is like for the tech industry? Can anyone fill me in on what that part of the market is like in that neck of the woods?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 08:34 AM

696 posts, read 1,335,265 times
A lot of the market revolves around manufacturing, so if you have experience in manufacturing, I imagine you would have an easier time finding work. A quick job search turned up more than a few software engineering opportunities.

On a side note, driving from Simpsonville to Spartanburg every day would probably not be much fun.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:53 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,762,941 times
Consider Greer for a more convenient commute to Spartanburg.

The software job market is decent for an area of this size. It has transitioned from mostly in support of manufacturing to a much wider market, also driven by think tanks like the Next and Iron Yard. There are also many opportunities for networking - see GSA Technology Council , check out the events calendar.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:18 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,627,271 times
As was previously stated, the majority of tech jobs would revolve around manufacturing aspects. This may include, but not limited to, database development and integration with supplier systems, logistics services, and equipment automation.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 AM

503 posts, read 530,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
There are also many opportunities for networking - see GSA Technology Council , check out the events calendar.
I'm a network engineer (routing & switching, firewalls, etc) and was excited to read this, until I realized you meant the other kind of networking...

Old 04-16-2015, 02:24 PM

690 posts, read 1,146,287 times
Hey and welcome!

We need more software peeps! What is your skill set? The big ones here in the Upstate are Java, .NET, Sharepoint, DB work, and lots of Business Intelligence.

Yes, lots of manufacturing but a ton of the software companies around here are not manufacturing related. Fluor is a big .NET house. Infor is a huge Java house. Benefit Focus is Java. Windstream is Java. We're .NET and PHP here at Erwin Penland (45+ devs strong and growing!). Canal Insurance is .NET. AMEC is Sharepoint and .NET. M33 is who knows what...they keep changing.

Shoot, there are even at least 2 RoR shops here to my knowledge. And of course a bunch of small PHP and niche shops.

Let me know if I can help in anyways. I work in software and I also used to do Tech recruiting so I know this market quite well.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,784,346 times
Talk about really good timing: IT company to expand in Upstate, create 150 jobs | Local News - Home

Old 04-16-2015, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 5,021 times
Thanks for all the replies. I used to work for a few different manufacturing companies (GE, Philips, Albany International) so I know alot about Manufacturing Execution and Work flow related systems.

However, I've also worked for Healthcare companies, like the one I'm at now, participating on a team of software engineers using agile/scrum practices where we cater to hospitals providing learning management solutions for training and compliance while also providing a talent management suite to manage succession planning and employee reviews. It pretty exciting and I enjoy it.

My background has primarily been deep in Microsoft technologies and software engineering practices (.NET, SQL Server, TDD, Inversion of Control/Dependancy Injection, etc)

Most likely if/when my wife decides she wants to relocate if the opportunity pans out, I'll most likely keep my job and work remote. But I always like to hear about opportunities in and around where I'd be living.

Thanks for all the replies. It's interesting to hear all about what other companies are doing in Upstate SC.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:07 AM

321 posts, read 406,621 times
+1 for Greer or maybe Boiling Springs. I-85 South is a parking lot most days between Hwy14 and I-385 so the afternoon commute back to Simpsonville would suck more than a little.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:16 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,287 times
I live in Greer and so I'm biased. Think it's a great area to live/work/play/commute. I work downtown G'ville so my commute is 20-25 in/out typically.

Remote work is quote popular. I have a neighbor that has been working remotely for 9+ years doing cobol work! AW yeah!

If you do need a solid recruiter to look at the waters here let me know and I'll hook you up with the fine folks at FGP Technology (my former company).

With a .NET background you will have 0 issues finding gainful employment here in the Upstate. We've had to farm out some work recently because we could not find enough .NET people (and we have 12 .NET guys right now booked solid).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area