Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 07:51 PM

7 posts, read 9,593 times

Advertisements

Moving to area soon and have considered homes in Pelham Falls area. We are, however, feeling quite dismayed by the distance that the elementary school is away from the neighborhood. We are particularly confused since Oakview is geographically closer. Anyone with experience doing the drive care to comment? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Pelham Fall's geocode, NTR1, is assigned Woodland Elementary, Riverside Middle and Riverside High schools. The School District of Greenville County lacks smarts for assigning students to schools way out of the way. The subdivision should be properly rezoned for Oakview Elementary indeed.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Pelham Fall's geocode, NTR1, is assigned Woodland Elementary, Riverside Middle and Riverside High schools. The School District of Greenville County lacks smarts for assigning students to schools way out of the way. The subdivision should be properly rezoned for Oakview Elementary indeed.
What would you propose? Send everyone to their closest school, regardless of the number of students that might include or what the facilities can handle? This is not unique to Greenville County Schools.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:31 PM

43 posts, read 67,773 times
Yes, this seems to be an issue in some districts in Greenville County. The drive won't be terrible, but the bus might be more convenient.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
What would you propose? Send everyone to their closest school, regardless of the number of students that might include or what the facilities can handle? This is not unique to Greenville County Schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerashby View Post
Yes, this seems to be an issue in some districts in Greenville County. The drive won't be terrible, but the bus might be more convenient.
Monarch Elementary was conceived to relieve Oakview Elementary. I do not know if another elementary school can be added.

Neither middle or high schools exist in the Five Forks community. I do not know where the School District of Greenville County stands in addressing new schools besides the new high school in Fountain Inn.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:18 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Again View Post
What I find weird about Greenville metro is kids assigned to an elementary school can end up going to a different middle school and /or high school than other kids at that elementary school. My hometown , any kids in your elmentary school went on with you to the same middle and high school as well. I think it is kind of good to have kids go through 1-12 as a group.

that only occurs in communities and district that don't have 70,000+ students in them. My hometown in Ohio had 12 k-5's, 3 6-8's, and 1 9-12. 4 of the k-5's fed into one middle school and then the 3 middle schools fed into the one high school. now this was only possible because it was a town of 45,000 residents.

it's financially easier to rezone than it is to keep building new k-5's every few years in one part of the district.

lil off topic but somewhat on topic - GCSD and k-5's down here in general are WAY too big. some go over 1,000 students. IMPO that's not positive. k-5's should go no higher than half that. but again if you had 500 max caps on each k-5 you'd have to build a dozen more k-5's and well that then necessitates more operational costs as well.

Go up to Charlotte Meck and check out their school situation sometime or hec try Wake County as well.

Union County Public Schools (suburban district of charlotte) is currently going through a parent activist group versus BOE crisis over rezoning.

my point is it's not that weird. go to ANY mid to major metro area in america and you'll find similar if not identical situations when it comes to zoning and rezoning.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:22 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Monarch Elementary was conceived to relieve Oakview Elementary. I do not know if another elementary school can be added.

Neither middle or high schools exist in the Five Forks community. I do not know where the School District of Greenville County stands in addressing new schools besides the new high school in Fountain Inn.

the new one Ft. Inn is on the back burner. and i mean wayyyy back burner. it was announced 1 or 2 years ago that they were going to open one in 2017. yea that was done to patronize the community.

there is no need for a high school out that way......at least not in the present era. 10 years from now maybe???? as long as there are seats in the schools that run along 14 (Greer, Riverside, Hillcrest, etc..) and the schools right next to them there will be no need to build another high school.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
the new one Ft. Inn is on the back burner. and i mean wayyyy back burner. it was announced 1 or 2 years ago that they were going to open one in 2017. yea that was done to patronize the community.

there is no need for a high school out that way......at least not in the present era. 10 years from now maybe???? as long as there are seats in the schools that run along 14 (Greer, Riverside, Hillcrest, etc..) and the schools right next to them there will be no need to build another high school.
I find it difficult to believe another high school in southeastern Greenville County is not needed when schools like Hillcrest, Mauldin and Woodmont have more students that it can support. The School District of Greenville County needs to prioritize its needs better to accommodate growth.

Several high schools in Greenville County have seen so much growth they have changed classification from AAA to AAAA: Greenville (2014), J.L. Mann (2012), Riverside (2012), Wade Hampton (2012). Eastside and Greer remain AAA, but I wonder if they will move up to AAAA in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area