Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:40 AM

557 posts, read 607,528 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if the Swamp Rabbit is open for bike riding 24 hours a day, and if so how safe is it at night? By how safe, I know that biking at night has inherent risk, I'm more worried about getting mugged or raped or something else that is not fun.

For perspective, my wife and I are thinking of moving to the GSP area, and I would like to buy a house that is close to the SRT so that we can use it regularly for exercise and going to and from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 09:42 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
Can anyone tell me if the Swamp Rabbit is open for bike riding 24 hours a day, and if so how safe is it at night? By how safe, I know that biking at night has inherent risk, I'm more worried about getting mugged or raped or something else that is not fun.

For perspective, my wife and I are thinking of moving to the GSP area, and I would like to buy a house that is close to the SRT so that we can use it regularly for exercise and going to and from downtown.
I would advise to not use any trail at night in any city. That's just not safe. I think it has certain hours that you can use it.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:48 AM

958 posts, read 2,622,576 times
Google "swamp rabbit trail attack", and you'll see a few hits, not at night, and not that long ago. I wouldn't advise it at night.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:17 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,766,570 times
Within the city limits of Greenville, the trail is closed from 9PM to 5AM. It is technically open in the county 24 hrs, although you'd need to take the precautions considering that it is essentially an unlit and un-patrolled public park and anything could happen. Not generally recommended.

A very different situation in the daytime - well patrolled and plenty of other traffic to keep an eye on things.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
Google "swamp rabbit trail attack", and you'll see a few hits, not at night, and not that long ago. I wouldn't advise it at night.
Good grief.....maybe I don't want to leave NH!

Old 02-14-2015, 12:02 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
Quote:
Good grief.....maybe I don't want to leave NH!
As mentioned in my earlier post. I wouldn't use any trail in any city at night. Including NH. Every city has crime.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:02 PM

123 posts, read 241,241 times
Quote:

I feel you have a false impression of where you may be moving based on the above quote. I have lived in metro areas in the Southeast US for 18 years. If your question above is serious, the opportunists/criminals will eat you alive in Greenville!

Have you checked crime indexes of Greenville metro vs. where you are in NH?

Old 02-14-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
As mentioned in my earlier post. I wouldn't use any trail in any city at night. Including NH. Every city has crime.
The random murder rate in NH is pretty darn low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw75 View Post
I feel you have a false impression of where you may be moving based on the above quote. I have lived in metro areas in the Southeast US for 18 years. If your question above is serious, the opportunists/criminals will eat you alive in Greenville!

Have you checked crime indexes of Greenville metro vs. where you are in NH?
It was a serious question. I'd have no issue biking/walking on some of the "urban" trails we have here in NH. When I lived in Ft Lauderdale I didn't even like driving in some of the areas near where I lived, let alone bike/walk.

The crime rate appears to be quite a bit higher in SC than NH. Thank goodness for CCW being legal!

Old 02-14-2015, 04:17 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post

I agree with being aware about this but it doesn't occur all the time. I think it's good that you mentioned it though. To the OP, I wouldn't make my decision on my move based on this. That being said, we've walked on the SRT plenty of times and never felt unsafe.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:38 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,873,745 times
I walk on different sections of the SRT with my son almost every day and never feel unsafe. Akways during the day though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area