Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 04:37 PM

635 posts, read 754,609 times

Advertisements

So I've really procrastinated with my taxes....

I know there are topics on this and I've posted before asking this but many suggested Turbotax and I don't think that's the best for me to use now.

I realize it's probably best to do them through an accountant, mainly because I have a duplex and rent one side out and have no idea how to input that information and make it that I don't pay thousands to the IRS. Also, I'm going through a divorce...don't know if that makes a difference but I can file single.

Can anyone recommend an accountant (near Greer) that will give you an estimate of what your return will be and how much you have to pay for the service? M&M tax does but H&R doesn't. M&M wasn't horrible with their fees, but I want to shop around so to speak.

Or is there advice from a landlord that can tell me how to file my own and not pay a ton back because part of my mortgage is being paid for by tenants?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:33 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,808 times
Just out of curiosity why do you say Turbotax isn't for you? I own two rental houses, have a ton of different investments (stocks, bonds, 401k, 529, etc) and it made things super easy, pretty much just prompted me for everything including all the info I needed about the rentals.

If you have even *slightly* complex taxes (like a rental) I would *NEVER* use one of the national tax shops like M&M, H&R, Jackson Hewitt, etc, as those people are basically just reading off of a program like turbotax and have almost 0 actual tax training.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:07 AM

635 posts, read 754,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
Just out of curiosity why do you say Turbotax isn't for you? I own two rental houses, have a ton of different investments (stocks, bonds, 401k, 529, etc) and it made things super easy, pretty much just prompted me for everything including all the info I needed about the rentals.

If you have even *slightly* complex taxes (like a rental) I would *NEVER* use one of the national tax shops like M&M, H&R, Jackson Hewitt, etc, as those people are basically just reading off of a program like turbotax and have almost 0 actual tax training.
I was putting in my taxes into Turbotax's website where it gave you the roundabout number of what your return would be. On it, it didn't say anything about if my property was a duplex. I'm assuming I have to buy the correct program for it to tell me that but I just thought since that part of the website wasn't being too helpful, I should forego using it. I'm just terrified of messing it up.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:58 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,808 times
I've never heard of the page you visited. When I log into the turbotax website it gives me an option to start my return. Once I do that, it asks if you want to start with the basic version or deluxe, premier etc. Once you're in the middle of your return if you go into any section that requires a higher end version it automatically tells you that you must upgrade to that version to get that assistance. So for example once you go to the rental income section it will immediately prompt you to upgrade to the premier version (doesn't cost anything until you actually file) and then it will guide you step by step through the rental section and how to handle depreciation, etc.

At least that's how it works with me every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: