Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:23 AM

12 posts, read 19,113 times

Advertisements

Have read these forums for a while, but never posted. I see that quite a few of the users on here know a good bit of what is going on around Greenville. I have a question for you then.
There was a Tesla Supercharger installation going on in the area of Whole Foods. They were going to be located just to the side of Yogurt Mountain. The construction was well under way when it just stopped. All the indications are that the owner of the old mill behind Whole Foods has filed a lawsuit against DDR (the company that leases the property Whole Foods is on) and has put everything on hold.
Does anyone know what the basis of the lawsuit is?
The court records show that there will be another hearing on 7/6 for this case as you can see in the picture I attached. I will be out of town or I would go and listen in.
I would appreciate any info anyone may have on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla Supercharger @ Whole Foods-tesla_court.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 11:47 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,627,271 times
Wow, didn't know they were building the charging station here yet (or were building it apparently...). But tesla has been planning a station in the Greenville Spartanburg area for awhile as they complete chargers all along i85.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:10 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
One of the coolest cars I've driven is the Tesla. The superchargers, which are free, are supposed to be for Tesla owners that are passing through an area, not for local Telsa owners. Tesla will send you a note if you abuse the free privilege.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:12 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,784,346 times
Moderator cut: orphaned -you were quoting a previously banned troll

I disagree with that. If we're being enough for a Maserati dealership then we should be big enough for a Tesla dealership also.

Last edited by Yac; 06-15-2015 at 05:56 AM..

Old 06-15-2015, 05:51 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I disagree with that. If we're being enough for a Maserati dealership then we should be big enough for a Tesla dealership also.
Tesla showrooms are nothing like traditional car dealerships. They’re modelled on Apple stores – located in large shopping malls and surrounded by state of the art technology. Instead of parking lots and pushy salesmen, Tesla showrooms are a place to experience the vehicles rather than buy them.

In fact, you can’t buy one even if you want to. You can view the models, learn about the engineering process and schedule a test drive, but purchasing a Tesla happens online – direct from the company’s website. As such, the bricks and mortar element of the process is more about stimulating interest, building desire and wooing the customer with an enjoyable brand technology experience while the digital aspect secures the sale.

Elon Musk said their current goals is to have at least 90% of Tesla owners within 100 miles of a service center.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 AM

Oh I know. I visited the Tesla store at Lenox in Atlanta on Saturday. It was actually the first time I have ever seen one of their stores so it came as a surprise. Loved the touch screen tv's and clothing items they had for sale.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:44 PM

7 posts, read 10,426 times
Quote:
Oh I know. I visited the Tesla store at Lenox in Atlanta on Saturday. It was actually the first time I have ever seen one of their stores so it came as a surprise. Loved the touch screen tv's and clothing items they had for sale.
So, after visiting a store, what makes you think that Tesla skipped a store in Raleigh, only a service center there, has one in Charlotte and will put one in Greenville. Greensboro has a Ferrari dealer but Tesla skipped them all together. What is the business case for Tesla in Greenville?

Old 06-15-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescentave View Post
So, after visiting a store, what makes you think that Tesla skipped a store in Raleigh, only a service center there, has one in Charlotte and will put one in Greenville. Greensboro has a Ferrari dealer but Tesla skipped them all together. What is the business case for Tesla in Greenville?
You could say the same thing about what is the business case for Ferrari in Greensboro and Maserati in Greenville? Things that make you go

Old 06-15-2015, 02:26 PM

57 posts, read 107,510 times
The existing auto industries do not welcome the new business model Tesla is implementing in regards to the sale of their vehicles.

Here is just one example.

Quote:
Companies such as Ford, General Motors and Honda sell through a network of independently owned dealers, and those dealers want to preserve the current system.
“This is the same kind of bullying from the dealers we’ve faced in other states,” said James Chen, Tesla’s vice president of regulatory affairs and associate general counsel. “The dealers, when they’re defeated in the court of public opinion, in the media and in the legislature, they then go to the courts.”

Ohio car dealers sue to block Tesla dealership | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 06-15-2015, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 10,426 times
Quote:
You could say the same thing about what is the business case for Ferrari in Greensboro and Maserati in Greenville? Things that make you go
There would not be a strong case for Ferrari in Greensboro today (they have Aston Martin too). But, years ago, the furniture industry was close by along with textiles. And, the location is central to Raleigh and Charlotte. But, without history, Ferrari would be in Charlotte. And, with a Charlotte Tesla store, the chances of putting one less than 100 miles away is low.

I just don't see any reason why Tesla would opt for Greenville when there are other markets with a stronger case.

Maserati in Greenville is s partly due to the operator and how he runs between Asheville and Greenville. The store meets the minimum, barely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area