Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:04 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

That map has Jackson between Lyman and Startex. I think many years have passed by where the mill has been demolished and redeveloped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
That map has Jackson between Lyman and Startex. I think many years have passed by where the mill has been demolished and redeveloped.
Wellford area

Old 02-23-2016, 09:48 PM

Perhaps I have mistaken Jackson as Wellford.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:08 AM

13 posts, read 12,113 times
I may have to visit the Hub City museum or the SCHA. Im going to go crazy if I cant find out lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know the history around Duncan/Startex area-1.jpg   Anyone know the history around Duncan/Startex area-2.jpg   Anyone know the history around Duncan/Startex area-3.jpg  

Old 02-24-2016, 08:06 AM

Default 506 Gap Creek Road, Duncan, South Carolina 29334-9104

Doing quick research on the Beaumont Cable Drag Scraper, it was used for coal storage. This should support the idea the site was once a coal fired power plant before being razed and replaced by a substation.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:17 AM

Yes and the rail car in the pictures above was a part of the drag scraper system. That combined with the coal and coal waste still on site makes that piece of it obvious. The burning question remains though, was it a power plant? A mill? It was a very large complex. The rail bed leading up to the coal yard is very wide, leading me to believe there were multiple tracks, possibly a small yard. There has to be pictures of the place.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:12 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
It was, and Im guessing here, both a mill and power plant, which wasnt uncommon back then for mills and factories to have their own "power". Duke probably set up the power plant to run a mill and surrounding homes. The generators would have most likely been steam powered by burning coal to either turn the gennys directly or via a steam engine. The closet one of those mills to me is Mills Mill, and though its been years since I have been down to it, they did have their own power plant at one time. As I recall, the dam supplied water to what is basically a big water wheel which turned the gennys. As I said, its been years since Ive been there, so it may be completely gone by now.

From Dukes website:

They took the first big step toward this goal in 1904 when the first power plant, Catawba Hydro Station in South Carolina, began providing electricity to Victoria Cotton Mills in Rock Hill, S.C. Over the next several years, the company's hydroelectric fleet continued to grow to serve not only commercial textile mills, but the region's growing appetite for the conveniences that electricity could provide.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:46 PM

I could see that scenario.....as I mentioned there are remains of a dam and pump house complex on the site as well. There are 4 giant valves labeled "Coffin Valve Boston" with levels still intact. I had pictures but cant locate them now.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:29 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
You keep mentioning that there is coal ash present on the site. If true, it needs to be removed and placed in a lined landfill. You would think Duke would have inventoried all of their property for coal ash storage at this point since it has caused them so many problems.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:43 PM

^you would think huh? Oh well, I dont work for the EPA, Im just a history buff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area