Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:09 AM

3 posts, read 3,329 times

Advertisements

I've grown up in California and I've had a few family members move to the Greenville, South Carolina area. My question is, is the culture as different as I've heard, from what I'm used to in California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:28 AM

21,031 posts, read 27,354,703 times
What has been your culture in California?

Old 03-30-2016, 07:31 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,811,099 times
I've really only travelled through California, but have family there. The short answer to your short question is yes. The culture is very much different here.

You'll have to get more specific with the question to get more specific answers, I think.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:57 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,041,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSquared82 View Post
I've grown up in California and I've had a few family members move to the Greenville, South Carolina area. My question is, is the culture as different as I've heard, from what I'm used to in California?
What have you heard?

I will say this though.. Don't come here with the attitude of everything is better in California. If I've seen it once, I've seen it a dozen times.. My own sister came to visit from CA a couple of years ago and as we were hanging out downtown, she had to "top" everything and tell me how much better it was there.

"Barley's Taproom only has 100 beers on tap? So & so in Walnut Creek has more than that!"

..and she's not even a beer drinker. Don't be that person.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:01 AM

123 posts, read 241,788 times
I have lots of friends currently living in SoCal, Vegas, and AZ.

Greenville SC is the polar opposite of everything Californian. Name a topic or concept and it is the polar opposite.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:12 AM

730 posts, read 778,329 times
It is more Inland Empire than either SoCal or Bay Area. But you will find plenty of people interested in a healthy outdoor lifestyle.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:17 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,436,879 times
I didn't find the DC metro or NYC, northern NJ to be any different from living in Greenville other than things like weather, even though you hear the same kind of 'culture shock' things about living in those places compared to here.

I would think the differences coming from a place like California would be good things, like less traffic, much lower cost of living, etc.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:15 AM

4,250 posts, read 6,936,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I didn't find the DC metro or NYC, northern NJ to be any different from living in Greenville other than things like weather, even though you hear the same kind of 'culture shock' things about living in those places compared to here.

I would think the differences coming from a place like California would be good things, like less traffic, much lower cost of living, etc.
It all depends on your personal taste and what you do for work and outside of work I suppose. I wouldnt necessarily say people would experience "culture shock" unless they were really sheltered, but I am surprised you would say you don't find something like NYC any different than Greenville. Having spent some extended time in NYC for work and also visiting plenty (and almost moving there last there) I find NYC to be a completely different living environment than Greenville in many ways. Furthermore, I just moved to Dallas for a new job opportunity this year and similarly find living here in Dallas to be very different than Greenville. There is nothing wrong with places being different and there are usually both pros and cons of course, but it's very interesting to see someone say they don't find NYC different than Greenville...

Old 03-30-2016, 10:43 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,436,879 times
other than number of people, traffic, and the weather differences and cost of living, what is different about daily life in NYC or Dallas compared to Greenville? I worked in Houston for a week and it was no big deal to me.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-30-2016 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 10:50 AM

293 posts, read 346,515 times
I only knew one person who moved here from California and they did not like it here. They eventually moved back to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area