Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 07:59 PM

26 posts, read 33,764 times

Advertisements

Hey there!
My family and I are relocating to the Greenville area in July. We are struggling to decide between Greer and Five Forks. During our visit there, I felt like I was able to get a good feel for Greer but couldn't quite get a good read on the Five Forks area. Please tell me what you love (and don't love)! Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 08:30 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,283 times
Don't love the traffic There is a lot of shopping nearby. (thus the traffic!).

Old 05-21-2016, 07:13 AM

143 posts, read 206,803 times
I chose Five Forks area initially because of the schools. It is about the same distance to get to shopping on Woodruff or on Fairview Rd. The Sportsclub on Scuffletown is close/convenient and there is a good variety of restaurants to choose from. Yes, the traffic can get bad at rush hour, but once you learn the traffic patterns, you can find your own shortcuts to avoid it (I use the app "WAZE").
What I don't like is the lack of sidewalks.
There are very few roads that even have shoulders for pedestrians or bikers to use.... sadly, this is everywhere in Greenville County and not just the Five Forks area. Hope this helps.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:19 AM

80 posts, read 114,488 times
Homes are lower priced in Five Forks compared to Greer.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:23 AM

26 posts, read 33,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
I chose Five Forks area initially because of the schools. It is about the same distance to get to shopping on Woodruff or on Fairview Rd. The Sportsclub on Scuffletown is close/convenient and there is a good variety of restaurants to choose from. Yes, the traffic can get bad at rush hour, but once you learn the traffic patterns, you can find your own shortcuts to avoid it (I use the app "WAZE").
What I don't like is the lack of sidewalks.
There are very few roads that even have shoulders for pedestrians or bikers to use.... sadly, this is everywhere in Greenville County and not just the Five Forks area. Hope this helps.

Which schools did you choose? I have been torn between Buena Vista/Woodland and Riverside in Greer versus Monarch/Oakview/Bells Crossing/other with what SEEM to be not as great high schools in Five Forks (at least according to greatschools.org). Would love input you have being there! It's difficult to tell from just online ratings and being so far away.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:44 AM

143 posts, read 206,803 times
My sons were in middle and high school, so I'm not familiar with the elementary schools. They attended Hillcrest Middle and Mauldin High School. Both schools are excellent- the Principal at Mauldin High has been there for about 4 years and he's great.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:27 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
Five Forks is definitely growing. I like that it's out of all the hustle bustle, yet close enough to shopping. It's close to Woodruff Rd or Fairview Rd (depending where you live) for shopping, etc. It feels newer to me than Greer. Greer has a cute downtown with lots of activities. Five Forks doesn't have a downtown. Heritage Park in Simpsonville has lots of activities as well. All in all, I like the FF area right off 14 and Woodruff Rd for convenience. It also extends farther out where it is less congested.

Last edited by beckycat; 05-21-2016 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 09:30 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
The Sportsclub fitness club in Five Forks is a fantastic facility and I think it is in the top 3 in the state. I have lived all over the state.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,171 times
A new branch of the public library is being built in Five Forks. Also, a few doctor's and dental offices are in the area. Parkside Pediatrics has been there awhile and we like them a lot. We do not live in Five Forks, but close. If you prefer newer communities of homes and do not mind the rush hour traffic jam, then you will like it there.

Greer has many different areas, and even extends into Spartanburg County. The school zone in Greer that you mentioned has a very good reputation, however.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:39 AM

11 posts, read 10,169 times
None, Go up towards Furman and TR. Beautiful area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area