Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 9,457 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating from Greenville, NC to theGreenville SC area in early November for my job transfer. We are very excited to be an hour from Asheville and to be finally in a city where we’d like tolive long term.

A little background on us: We are in our mid 20’s, college educated with no children, just a spoiled black lab! We enjoy the outdoors, eating out and trying new things.

We are looking to rent for approximately six months to get to know the area before we purchase our first home. As long as we are 20 or so minutes from Greenville we don’t have to be IN Greenville. Simpsonville,Easley, Maudlin, Travelers Rest, Taylors etc all seemed like very nice area’s during our last visit. We plan to make a second trip to Greenville on Labor Day weekend to look at places to rent. We are currently renting a 1100 sq ft duplex with fenced in backyard and 1 car garage for $795/month. From what I have seen there is not anything close to this in the Greenville, SC market.

My wife may or may not be employed at first. This all depends on if she can find something she enjoys doing. That being said we are trying to put away as much as we can for our first home so our rental budget is somewhat low. We are looking in the sub $800 per month which I know isn’t very high in this area. We don’t need a large place but we do require a few things. The main ones are a fairly safe place to live and places that allow 55 lb adult labs. Safe is subjective obviously but prefer to stay away from Section 8 housing etc

We could buy a place with 20% down in our price range but don’t know if that would be the wisest choice until I am 100% sure the new position is stable. I expect it to go very well but you never know.

Does anyone have some suggestions on apartments/townhomes/duplex’s we should take a look at during our next visit? We have looked at Craigslist/Zillow etc but haven’t found anything we love

Thank you ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 04:21 AM

123 posts, read 241,139 times
There are a few apartments on the Eastside that would probably work - on Old Spartanburg Rd. between Cunningham Rd and the intersection with Brushy Creek Rd. They are older complexes but most have been recently updated, you should find a 1 or 2 bedroom apt. in your price range. Greyeagle, Palmetto Place, the Chimneys are a few but there are a lot more. There is a GREAT gym next to the Chimneys (Pivotal Fitness).

This area is very nice and safe, the homes in the area are 150-200K and around the corner they go up to 300K+. Every type of store and restaurant is right in the area also. Downtown Greenville is only about 12 minutes away in low traffic, 20 minutes in high traffic times.

The kicker is that there is an awesome rec center with parks right there, The Pavillion, which has a big dog park right behind it!

I used to see clients in Greenville, NC a few years ago. I remember thinking the women there were exceptionally/unusually GREAT looking for some reason! On that note you are moving from college town to a hot retirement area that has become full of people 60+ the past few years, you will notice this, the oldsters run Greenville SC!

Old 08-28-2015, 04:53 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
This is the better Greenville, by far - esp if you like outdoor activities - and Greenville, SC has more amenities (Trader Joe's, Apple Store, REI, Total Wine, etc etc) - you need to visit downtown Greenville/Falls Park (if you haven't already) - welcome

Old 08-28-2015, 05:14 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Welcome to Greenville!

Old 08-29-2015, 03:10 PM

6 posts, read 9,457 times
Thank you! Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Working not but will post more later

Old 08-29-2015, 07:37 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19994Runner5Spd View Post
Thank you! Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Working not but will post more later
May I recommend Easley? Small Town feel but some great new shopping here! Gas is cheapest here, I might add, $1.85 a gallon right now

Old 09-05-2015, 08:20 AM

6 posts, read 7,529 times
Welcome to Greenville!

My Wife and I originally came to Greenville, SC from Greenville, NC for business and absolutely fell in love with the area. After a bit more traveling over the last year and a half, we have just relocated back to the area. We are in a similar position as you and our leasing a town home while we decide on where we want to purchase. We find a nice town home is Mauldin that suited our needs.

During our rental search, I believe I noted quite a few options within your price but the areas were within question. My Wife was very particular about the neighborhoods so we ended up spending a little more in order for her to feel safe. Considering we came from Boston last, the prices in Greenville were a dream!

Based on what we looked at, I would think your better option would be to go with an apartment complex. There are plenty to choose from. Far more then in Greenville, NC. We stayed in a complex right near Pelham and Haywood. It was reasonably priced, well maintained and in a great location.

Hope you have success in finding what your looking for!

Old 09-05-2015, 08:48 AM

16 posts, read 27,917 times
There seems to be a lot of NC to SC migration the past 5 years.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,048 times
My son is looking to move to the Greenville area due to a job transfer. Can anyone recommend a safe but reasonably priced 1 bedroom apartment that accepts large dogs. Concerned Mom.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:15 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Welcome to the better Greenville! I moved here from Raleigh, NC and just love it here. There are many, many apartment complexes here, although you are correct that rents are higher than where you are currently living. There is a concierge service- not very expensive- that can be a one-stop shop for finding an apartment. Let me know if you would like the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area