Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 11:04 AM

7 posts, read 65,524 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Greenville a little over 3 months ago from Missouri. My mom and sister are coming to visit in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to think of things we can do together. They will be here for only a few days.

I frequent downtown with my friends, but we tend to go to the same spots over and over again, which is fine for me, but I want to explore downtown a little bit more while my family is here. I already planned on taking them to the following places, but I'm not familiar with the area enough to know where else we could go: Pour Tap Room, Sip Whiskey and Wine, Ink and Ivy, Tupelo Honey (or Green Room) for brunch, Barley's, and possibly Smoke on the Water. Obviously I'll take them down to Falls Park, but are there any neat places to shop or something low key we could do? My sister is in her early 20s, and my mom likes not-so-crowded hang out places, which is why we'll be going to places like Sip.

I'm not really understanding where the Swamp Rabbit Trail leads to. I know it branches into Traveler's Rest, but I haven't been there yet, so I don't know how far of a walk/bike ride it is. Is that a trail we can access from downtown?

Any suggestions are much appreciated! However, I would like to stay near the downtown area since I live close, and I don't want to spend their entire visit at bars/restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,998 times
Re: casual visit to Swamp Rabbit trail - from Falls Park, just head under the Main Street Bridge and then keep going under the bridge next to the Embassy Suites until you have seen enough. Travelers Rest will be too far for a casual walk. A robust walk might go about 2 miles to the Swamp Rabbit Cafe & Grocery , a casual walk might not go much further than just past the Children's garden under the bridge, about 1/2 mile.

A casual bike ride to Travelers Rest would be about 1 1/2 hours each way, but it should be easy to find a restaurant at the other end.

For other ideas: a Hockey game, if it's in town (get tickets at The Well ticket office to avoid the Ticketmaster fees), baseball game at Fluor Field, or one of the "Escape room" challenges near downtown. For some local humor, take in a show at The Cafe & Then Some. Spend some time at Thursday / Friday Downtown Live at the Hyatt Plaza / NOMA Square at any interesting act.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:16 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Hockey or baseball are good ideas for sports fans. If they like quieter places, you could visit Table Rock State Park, or any of the state owned lands in the mountains. You could take a drive up towards the Blue Ridge Parkway and catch some waterfalls (Looking Glass Falls, Dry Falls, Cullasaja Falls, Whitewater Falls, etc.). You could drive up to Walhalla and visit the old train tunnel at Stumphouse Mountain (and see the waterfall while you are there). The State Botanical Garden in Clemson has a lot of pretty plants in bloom in the spring and early summer. There is a covered bridge at a small park called Campbell Covered Bridge in the Tigerville area of Northern Greenville County. Caesar's Head has a beautiful view of the Upstate and is just off of the highway. You could also go to Dupont State Forest with several waterfalls up that way.

I could make a list a mile long - tons of stuff to do in the area........

Old 04-05-2017, 08:56 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,536 times
Go to Charleston. Lots more to do there.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:16 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,409,249 times
Greenville Zoo is a nice small zoo.

there is a free mini-golf course at McPherson Park but you need your own clubs and balls.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 65,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Go to Charleston. Lots more to do there.

Charleston isn't exactly close to downtown Greenville but thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:27 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,409,249 times
here is the Greenville tourism website

Downtown Attractions : VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source

here is the 2017 Greenville Visitors Guide

https://issuu.com/visitgreenvillesc/docs/yeahthat

Old 04-06-2017, 10:25 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
The BMW factory tour is very cool -- all the robotics and explanations of how everything is arranged on the delivery belts to put the cars out so smoothly. We really had a great time but you do need to make arrangements ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area