Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:28 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

Just sitting here thinking. As we all know, Asheville has become become expensive to live compared to say 10 years ago. I just wanted to use Asheville as an example because people are familiar with it's trend. It seems, to me, that Greenville is following a similar trend. It's becoming more and more popular and people are relocating to here. Many times it's because there are more job opportunities than other areas or the cost of living is affordable. It feels, to me, that Greenville is on a trend where it's getting more expensive. More specifically, real estate, is on a steady climb. I understand real estate fluctuates but it just feels with the growth, Greenville is becoming the next "hot spot". Look at West Greenville that boarders downtown. (This is what West Asheville used to be like) These areas are gentrifying and real estate prices are going through the roof. I still think you can get a house in Greenville for a decent price but I have a feeling that won't be the case forever.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 05:32 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,707 times
I get what you're saying about Asheville - I lived there 20 years ago, so don't get me started lol.

But isn't one of the reason's for Asheville being so pricey the lack of room for growth? That coupled with people swarming to move there drove it's prices up.. Greenville has a lot of people moving in, but we at least have room to grow - and we have the economy to support it, unlike Asheville.

So I dunno.... interesting topic though. As a homeowner I kinda hope so.. Although I had an appraisal a couple of years ago that came in kinda flat.

Last edited by Upstate67; 08-24-2017 at 05:50 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 06:21 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Yes, once things become "popular", look out . . . Supply and demand.

That's why we chose Spartanburg. Slightly slower growth and we picked an area that is already developed.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:36 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Greenville's been popular for a while. Even after being discovered, Greenville has managed to stay level headed. Nashville was discovered and yikes. $1450 for 500 sq feet to live next to car washes and warehouses with no grocery stores or walkability what so ever.

Greenville's price point will depend on jobs. Jobs is #1 what makes people move. Nashville is suddenly getting them in abundance. People think Austin's so popular because of the culture, but truthfully, they're creating more and more jobs left and right, and good jobs. Once that stops, the Austin hip factor stops.

Greenville will get more expensive, but I don't count on it getting unreasonable anytime soon. The COL is still comfortably below the median. Not many places that offer Greenville level of amenities can say that.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:31 AM

604 posts, read 584,636 times
Pay rates for many jobs, esp. manufacturing are way below national averages. That's why so many big manufacturers are setting up shop here. I believe more money will move into the area, and drive prices up, but there has to be housing for us great unwashed masses as well. People with less income may be forced to move further out in the future. I already live 'further out', and hope the development takes its sweet time getting here.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:42 PM

94 posts, read 111,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Greenville's been popular for a while. Even after being discovered, Greenville has managed to stay level headed. Nashville was discovered and yikes. $1450 for 500 sq feet to live next to car washes and warehouses with no grocery stores or walkability what so ever.

Greenville's price point will depend on jobs. Jobs is #1 what makes people move. Nashville is suddenly getting them in abundance. People think Austin's so popular because of the culture, but truthfully, they're creating more and more jobs left and right, and good jobs. Once that stops, the Austin hip factor stops.

Greenville will get more expensive, but I don't count on it getting unreasonable anytime soon. The COL is still comfortably below the median. Not many places that offer Greenville level of amenities can say that.
I don't know. I first came to Greenville to check it out about three years ago. At the time, we were checking out houses just off of Augusta and they were in our price range. We finally moved here about a year later and that area had crept up a lot. We rented for a year while we decided where we wanted to buy. In the year that we rented, we were completely priced out of the Augusta Rd area. Not. Even. Close. Everything pretty much doubled between us first checking it out and now. We are now renovating our fixer upper in Easley.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:13 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman39 View Post
I don't know. I first came to Greenville to check it out about three years ago. At the time, we were checking out houses just off of Augusta and they were in our price range. We finally moved here about a year later and that area had crept up a lot. We rented for a year while we decided where we wanted to buy. In the year that we rented, we were completely priced out of the Augusta Rd area. Not. Even. Close. Everything pretty much doubled between us first checking it out and now. We are now renovating our fixer upper in Easley.
I agree with you. We moved here four years ago and I watch the real estate market closely. There were homes available in the North Main area in the mid to upper 100's. (mainly the Summit area) Now, they are going for over $200K and well beyond. There was a tear down on the end of N. Main and Rutherford that was asking $200K and sold for $180K. It has been purchased and torn down. The homes in that area sell for over $500K. It used to be affordable to me but times have changed for sure.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:20 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
real estate within the city of Greenville is on fire - I live off Parkins Mills Road in a 1960's subdivision (Gower) - my home is a modest single story, 2400 sqft (4 small, original bedrooms) with a significant (but definitely not complete) renovation several years ago - it just appraised for near 450K - crazy; a home nearby/on the same street (larger home) was on the market for 530K and sold within a month; the "Augusta Road" area is even worse/bubble-like

West Greenville ("Village of West Greenville"; within the city limits only) is being transformed and prices are skyrocketing

real estate values in Greenville County are due to a few factors:
proximity to DT Greenville
public schools
safety
proximity to upscale shopping

of course, there are other minor factors: traffic noise (it baffles me that people purchase homes near I-85); work commute; parks nearby (Verdae/Hollingsworth); proximity to SRT; etc

I will always buy existing, older homes in this area (new construction lots are tiny) - IMO, existing homes hold their value much better than new

I'm itching to get out of the city and buy on a lake nearby (I really like Lake Robinson) - I will be able to get more for my money - my friends/colleagues think I'm crazy and advise me to stay put

Last edited by drfranklin; 08-25-2017 at 09:43 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 09:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman39 View Post
Unfortunately that's happening all over the country. Now that the economy is healthy, prices are spiking. And one thing that's spiked along with demand is construction costs. But still for what Greenville offers and for it's location and size, it's still pretty affordable.

My opinion is Greenville is safe until the jobs start flooding in in full force, like Nashville, with a lack of supply. Nashville's job market is on fire, but they're playing catch up in terms of housing, hence the ridiculous prices for what you get.

Downtown Greenville will probably get absurd, especially without building higher, but not the area as a whole. Things hopefully will cool down a bit soon.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:14 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Another factor is retirees. We lived in one of the wealthiest counties in America near DC (I think #1 for last few years) . The cost of living was prohibitive to stay during retirement. Our real estate taxes were horrible but still not as bad as NY, NJ etc. Many, many people are selling $500,000+ homes and relocating to smaller Southern cities for the cost of living and the weather. We think we're getting a steal for a $250k house with $1800/taxes. It's only going to continue and drive up prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area