Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 AM

241 posts, read 792,848 times

Advertisements

Hi.
My son is trying to get his first name legally changed. He got the "packet" from local court clerk, and has all the necessary forms. Has anyone ever done this? We have obtained the necessary papers from DSS & SLED, just find the actual court filing papers a bit confusing. The filing fee is only $150 if you do it yourself. We've contacted a couple of attorneys and they want over $1000. Basically we just need a little help making sure we fill things out correctly. He doesn't want the petition rejected because he was supposed to fill in 'A', not 'B' kind of thing. Not sure where to go for some help. We don't mind paying for the assistance, but not $1000.

Last edited by fraydnerv; 01-23-2013 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: Left out word in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
Hi.
My son is trying to get his first name legally changed. He got the "packet" from local court clerk, and has all the necessary forms. Has anyone ever done this? We have obtained the necessary papers from DSS & SLED, just find the actual court filing papers a bit confusing. The filing fee is only $150 if you do it yourself. We've contacted a couple of attorneys and they want over $1000. Basically we just need a little help making sure we fill things out correctly. He doesn't want the petition rejected because he was supposed to fill in 'A', not 'B' kind of thing. Not sure where to go for some help. We don't mind paying for the assistance, but not $1000.
Gosh........I know every state is different to some degree but this sounds so unnecessarily tedious. About seven years ago I walked into the Probate court offices of the County Court House and told the lady at the counter what I wanted; I filled out a few lines on maybe two papers and then showed some routine personal docs and paid less than a hundred. It was so simple it was amazing. I did have a glitch with my birth certificate but got that straightened out pretty easily also.
I realize this may not be of any help, but hoping it might remind you that you are dealing with civil servants and they all seem to hate their jobs and therefore do them in a lousy and resentful way. (generalization that holds to light). Maybe just for the heck of it walk into Probate and ask...........the answer might be quite different. It was so easy and quick for me that I am sceptical of what you have been told.
Very good luck,
just, raj

PS (I was in a court house serving 750,000 and the lady answered my questions concerning the paperwork and I was just a walk up mind you)

Last edited by raj kapoor; 01-26-2013 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 AM

241 posts, read 792,848 times
Thanks, but the packet he got came from the clerk of courts, and it was made clear that they can give no assistance in filling out anything. Everything is clear as to what is needed, it's just stuff on the actual court filing papers that he is nervous about. He was told to just bring it back to the clerk to file. I asked one of the attorneys why so much, they said filing fees ($150), paperwork ( he has this already), copies (he can copy everything ... $5 maybe), and time (aha!). Guess they have a set fee. He's going to attend a free family court clinic at the library in couple of weeks and see if they will perhaps help him. It says you may be able to get 5min of one on one with the attorney who is speaking

Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 AM

125 posts, read 206,569 times
Here are a couple of links that may provide help:

Legal Name Change in South Carolina | Tripp Atkins, Greenville Divorce Lawyer, Greenville, SC Divorce Lawyer

Changing Your Name With The South Carolina DMV - SC Drivers License Name Change at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Good luck - anytime you deal with the government, you'll need all the luck you can get....

Old 02-11-2014, 08:23 PM

231 posts, read 576,722 times
I'm also interested in knowing if anyone has gone through this process.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 AM

90 posts, read 277,622 times
I legally changed my name in Beaufort county SC, without an attorney. I got the packet that you have. I had filled everything out with a much more complex form, and when I brought it in with all of the documentation, the clerk at the court said I needed to fill out their one sheet name change form (thus requiring me to just throw away my much longer form). I did that, and hand wrote it all in. I gave it to her, paid the fee, and believe it or not, I only waited 30 minutes for my name change- she took it in to the judge, who was between cases, and he signed it right then and there. She notarized a few copies for me, and I was off. My first stop was the SS office to get my new SS card. Then DMV. Within 10 days I have all new documentation.

I only paid the filing fee, nothing more.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:23 PM

231 posts, read 576,722 times
Wow, you lucked out with that! If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason you gave for your name change on the paperwork?

I'm just confused with a couple parts of the form. It says they can't help you fill it out at all and that it's your responsibility to take all the follow up steps if you file without an attorney. As far as I know, after I submit it, I'm supposed to get something notifying me of when my hearing will be. I don't know what other steps I would have to take after that. Also, on the form there is a plaintiff section? I was thinking I would put my info under the defendant section, but who is the plaintiff or would I just leave that blank?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 PM

12,898 posts, read 18,751,931 times
I thought anyone could legally change their name in any state for whatever reason they wish, as long as the record shows they aren't trying to hide their identity for untoward reasons. I don't see why a hearing would be necessary. It seems to me it's none of a judge's business as long as the person filing to change their name has no ill intent.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:37 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
There was a story on tv last night a woman changed her name legally to Sexy. Doesnt help with the OPs question, just thought it was an unusual name change.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,185 times
Has anyone in Berkeley or Charleston county had a name change without a lawyer ? Could you tell me what you experience was it successful. I need to know cause I need to do a name change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area