Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 04:09 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,190,505 times

Advertisements

This is the time where we start going to all the beautiful waterfalls in our area. With all the wonderful hiking we have around here, and the waterfalls, I was wondering how the trails have faired, and who may check them to see if they are indeed passable. Considering there are trees within all these trails, they may not be accessible. I would hate to travel an hour (or more) to come find out we can't hike a particular trail. I don't know how fast those who maintain these areas are to find out if the trails are safe. We also go on trails that we know are not maintained, which may be harder to find this information.

It would be great for people to update their findings after they hike on a trail or to a waterfall in the coming months. Also, if you know of a website that gives the conditions of certain trails/waterfalls, please post them here.

Also, if you are looking for information on a certain hike/waterfall, please post them here as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 09:42 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,038,519 times
I would imagine the Forestry Commission maintains all the trails. I don't understand though... If you're hiking, and a tree has fallen in your path, can't you go over/around it?

Old 09-14-2017, 05:38 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,873,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
I would imagine the Forestry Commission maintains all the trails. I don't understand though... If you're hiking, and a tree has fallen in your path, can't you go over/around it?
Not always possible, depending on the size of the tree and the terrain.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
What BigRedBeth said. Could be a footbridge downed, could be a lot of brushed branches where you are unaware of the terrain below and possibly can't even get over. Some trails are very narrow and you have to be very careful where you step.

With heavy rains there could be a complete washout in an area where you can no
longer access the trail.

With all the trails around I don't think any agency has the manpower to hike all the miles that incorporate all these trails. More popular sites will probably by checked but I'm guessing others may depend on hikers for feedback.

Some of the waterfalls we have been on are very little known and/or traveled.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:55 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,038,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Not always possible, depending on the size of the tree and the terrain.
Lol that's where we're gonna have to disagree then lol.. I grew up in WNC and know a thing or two about hiking in mountainous terrain. I can't imagine any tree so big that I couldn't get around it.. Over it, sure.. but as a totally insurmountable obstacle?

Old 09-14-2017, 06:59 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times
Good timing on this post!

Cottonwood Trail cleanup this Saturday, 9/16.

Meet at the lower parking lot of Spartanburg HS across from Fernwood Pool

Registration starts at 8:45 am. Wear old clothes and boots to wade in the stream.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:04 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,875,708 times
This is a GREAT post! I'm going to search to see if I can find a resource dedicated to communicating trail conditions in our region. If there is not one, it seems like a great idea to generate one I'll circle back with an update.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:12 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,297,240 times
Quote:
There are a lot of trails on state lands that don't really such much of anything in the way of maintenance. The Foothills and Palmetto Trails are largely maintained by volunteers. Most of the lesser known trails don't see any significant maintenance.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Lol that's where we're gonna have to disagree then lol.. I grew up in WNC and know a thing or two about hiking in mountainous terrain. I can't imagine any tree so big that I couldn't get around it.. Over it, sure.. but as a totally insurmountable obstacle?
Get around a tree...what if you can't access right or left. Right/left a drop off, otherside tons of poison ivy. I've had many times where I'd have to limbo or pommel horse a tree to get over.

It would be very easy, and probable, that 1 tree could take put multiple trees along with it.

Many times I've had to grab on to branches to go up or down a step terrain.

We have been on trails we have had to go over logs as foot bridges. Tree could tale that out.

I commend those who do maintain the trails they do. I can't even imagine welding a chainsaw up and down some of these trails!

Old 09-14-2017, 12:26 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Good timing on this post!

Cottonwood Trail cleanup this Saturday, 9/16.

Meet at the lower parking lot of Spartanburg HS across from Fernwood Pool

Registration starts at 8:45 am. Wear old clothes and boots to wade in the stream.
Just found out, the event has been cancelled because the water level is too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area