Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 AM

8 posts, read 26,940 times

Advertisements

I have been doing some research on Chick Springs in Taylors (former resort, hotel, military academy among other things) and I'm wondering where the old hotels were physically located. I know that the spring house and gazebo are still standing, but I'm not 100% where the hotels once stood..

Since the resort area was originally 117 acres, I am almost certain that the hotels once stood where the current Theological Seminary is. I know that building used to be a high school and stood abandoned for years and it does resemble some of the old photos I have seen here:

Photo Gallery

To add more evidence to my case, the old post card below looks to have been drawn from a view on top of the old train trestle that runs over main street (still there today of course) and the view seems to line up pretty close to where the current Seminary is located.

Does anyone have any information confirming my suspicion, or have I presented enough evidence to confirm it myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 03:52 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,757,407 times
There are several great pictures of Chick Springs hanging in the lobby of Greer State Bank in Taylors. The hotel was closer to where Wade Hampton Blvd. is now.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
There are several great pictures of Chick Springs hanging in the lobby of Greer State Bank in Taylors. The hotel was closer to where Wade Hampton Blvd. is now.
Interesting.. I thought for sure I had it pinpointed to the location of the current Theo Seminary. I'll have to go and check out those pictures now. Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 15,399 times
Default Where the Chick springs hotel once stood.

My whole family lives on chick springs road and have dating back to the 1920's. I ride by the place the Hotel stood everyday with my Grandfather. His fater use to own a large farm on chick springs road and he tells of the stories of him swimming at chick springs and tells me everything he remembered, and let me tell you he remembers every detail. If you turn off of E. main st. on to Chick springs as your going up the hill there is a road to the left if you look down that road or even drive up it you can see a white house to the right. That house was built right on top of the hotel foundation after is was torn down. The lake was directly in front of it down the hill you drove up. I hope this helped out and if you have any other questions about Taylors S.C. or Chick Springs just let me know.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 15,399 times
Im sorry the road is to the right not the left at the top of the hill. The road is even called Old Hotel Rd.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Excellent, thanks for the reply! Time for me to go do some exploring (of course I'll try not to go on any private land).

Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 6,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAculpepper42 View Post
My whole family lives on chick springs road and have dating back to the 1920's. I ride by the place the Hotel stood everyday with my Grandfather. His fater use to own a large farm on chick springs road and he tells of the stories of him swimming at chick springs and tells me everything he remembered, and let me tell you he remembers every detail. If you turn off of E. main st. on to Chick springs as your going up the hill there is a road to the left if you look down that road or even drive up it you can see a white house to the right. That house was built right on top of the hotel foundation after is was torn down. The lake was directly in front of it down the hill you drove up. I hope this helped out and if you have any other questions about Taylors S.C. or Chick Springs just let me know.
Yes, I have visited my friends that live in the house where the Chick Springs hotels once stood and also own the land surrounding the Springs. They have cleared the brush enough to get down to the spring and pump. We also used a machete to reveal the remains of an old fountain. Very interesting reminders of a bygone era.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:26 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,096,453 times
What happened to the actual swimming hole/lake?

Old 05-03-2014, 05:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
What happened to the actual swimming hole/lake?
I think it was filled up. It was located on Wade Hampton Boulevard on the southeast side between Saint Mark Road and Highland Way.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:25 PM

632 posts, read 748,157 times
For a short time, someone refilled the old pool and stocked it with trout. You could catch the fish, then you paid by the pound or by the count, if memory serves me correctly. That was the last commercial use that I can recall. I was amazed to discover the spring house was still active, as late as a few years ago.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area