Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 06:36 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I definitely see where you're coming from. Just sharing one of many perspectives about moving from Florida...

Now back to the main topic. Greenville can be a nice place to land from Florida. You get a major change in so many ways and it will most certainly be a nice experience. I loved my time there obviously enough to suggest it to others like you.
True, they are both different in their ways. I think, moving from FL to GVL was a positive experience overall I definitely think the positives outweigh the negatives. No place is perfect either. I still recommend it to this day. I love the changes it's going through and how far it's come. It's definitely not a stagnant place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 06:57 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
Asking what church you attend in the Upstate is far from "rude". It's how folks simply are here. Sounds like someone needs to adapt....
I agree. People here tend to be a bit rude regarding religion.

Asking that question is an attempt to figure out if a person fits in or not - if they are one of us or one of them.

And the answer you give can affect your social and professional prospects going forward with the person asking the question.

I was asked a form of that question here DURING A JOB INTERVIEW.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:14 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I agree. People here tend to be a bit rude regarding religion.

Asking that question is an attempt to figure out if a person fits in or not - if they are one of us or one of them.

And the answer you give can affect your social and professional prospects going forward with the person asking the question.

I was asked a form of that question here DURING A JOB INTERVIEW.
I agree religion questions should never be asked during a job interview.

However, I see it differently about neighbors etc. The neighbor who asks this is usually very happy in their church (whatever flavor) and is only inquiring to share that happiness and sense of belonging.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I agree religion questions should never be asked during a job interview.

However, I see it differently about neighbors etc. The neighbor who asks this is usually very happy in their church (whatever flavor) and is only inquiring to share that happiness and sense of belonging.
Does that "flavor" include atheist's, buddhists, Muslims, etc...?

The people asking these questions do not understand the privileged position they are in as a part of the majority - a majority that frequently discriminates against people not in their religion.

I've only heard this question coming from Christians as non-Christians know what a loaded question this can be around here.

Although they may not realize it, their question is putting (some) people in a position where they either have to lie in order to not face the very real possibility of discrimination, or tell the truth and risk that possibility.

When you hear (many of) your neighbors openly mocking gays, non-Christians, liberals, etc. (like you read right here on this forum), you are putting yourself at very real-world risk of negative consequences for yourself and your family by answering that question honestly.

So stop asking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area