Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 11:41 AM

188 posts, read 331,942 times

Advertisements

I think I know the things I'll like more about SC than FL, but I was curious to hear from someone who has actually made the move. We're coming from the suburbs of Tampa. Moving to Simpsonville at the end of May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 12:17 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native2UT View Post
I think I know the things I'll like more about SC than FL, but I was curious to hear from someone who has actually made the move. We're coming from the suburbs of Tampa. Moving to Simpsonville at the end of May.
I moved to Greenville (Taylors) from Orlando 4 years ago. I just recently moved to Asheville but I can give you my insight while I lived there. First of all, the downtown and Falls Park, this is why most people love Greenville at first. The downtown is pretty with restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Downtown has several events that go on throughout the year including live music Wed, Thurs, and Fri nights. There's a farmer's market on Saturdays. The next thing is the cost of living. It is somewhat less expensive than FL to live there. Houses are going up in price (still cheaper) and real estate taxes are similar. Car insurance is half and depending where you live in FL, the same maybe true for homeowners insurance. Groceries were slightly more here that I can remember. The next thing is the weather. For most of the year, it's nice. When they say humidity here, it's nothing compared to FL. The winters can get cold for a few months and a couple episodes of snow that shuts everything down for a day or two. That doesn't mean you can't get some warmer days in between. In FL, the oppressive heat started in March and went on through Oct. It's nice to have balanced seasons.

Simpsonville is about 20-30 minutes from downtown depending on where you live. It has just about everything you need on Woodruff Rd or Fairview Rd. Simpsonville had it's events yearly as well and Heritage Park. From what I have been told, more transplants are locating there but they are going to other areas as well.

I know I've said this before and I don't want to offend anyone. It was the hardest place, that I lived, to make close friends. I've never had this issue before either. People can be cliquey and standoffish. The few close friends that I did make were transplants. I did have more acquaintances. It seems that all the transplants that I talk to or hear from, their friends are transplants as well. I have nothing against the locals either. Maybe they already have their circle of friends? In FL, I made friends the first day that I moved there. (everyone was from somewhere else) The people in FL were very outgoing to me. It is a different culture up here and I respect that but it does take time to get used to it.

The next thing is religion. I have nothing against religion but I am not one to attend church every Sunday. You will be asked what church you attend but it usually stops there. Nobody tried to push religion on me. Most of the people attend church.

It is very conservative if that is an issue to you. I can get along with anyone no matter their political stance, race, religion, color, gay, LGBT, etc.

Overall, I really like Greenville.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind, it's just my honest opinion Good luck with your move Just curious, how did you discover Greenville?

Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 PM

143 posts, read 206,803 times
I agree with becky cat- same experience.

We moved from Brandon to Simpsonville 7 years ago. Things I didn't know then but wished I did:
1. Lottery assisted college education program in Florida is far superior to the one in South Carolina. I had two daughters participate in the Bright Futures program and they were awarded 100% tuition reimbursement ($21,000 value) due to good grades and volunteer work. In SC, they offer you $6700 - $7500 reduction, but in state tuition is $34,000 per year. It's actually cheaper to forget the SC "benefit" and to pay out of state tuition in the midwest where they don't monkey with lottery money.

http://www.sceducationlottery.com/im...y_Brochure.pdf
http://www.floridastudentfinancialai...AwardChart.pdf

2. Sidewalks are hard to find in Simpsonville. Brandon had sidewalks on 99% of main roads and they don't exist here. Use caution when driving on county roads, because bikers have limited shoulder options to stay out of traffic. During my first year year, a biker (with complete protective gear) was struck and killed by a car when she failed to notice him and turned right in front of him.

3. "Bless your heart" is not really a blessing, lol.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:07 PM

188 posts, read 331,942 times
It's a job transfer for my hubby. We hadn't been there before January when he was offered the position. We've only been back twice. Kind of whirlwind house-hunting trips. We like what we see so far. Especially noticeably less traffic! And I am really looking forward to having a basement (new house is being built) and seasons, but not too much winter. Everything you mentioned sounds like a pretty good fit for me, I think. Thanks for your reply. My daughter is actually heading to graduate school in Orlando in May. When she's finished there, she'll join us in again in SC.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:23 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,387 times
Pert, I didn't understand your post - where is in-state tuition 34K? (USC is 12K per year in-state; Clemson is 14K)

Old 03-29-2018, 01:28 PM

143 posts, read 206,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Pert, I didn't understand your post - where is in-state tuition 34K? (USC is 12K per year in-state; Clemson is 14K)
https://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/...?schoolId=1463

Old 03-29-2018, 02:53 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
We lived in the Tampa Bay Area for 20 years, and moved to the Upstate in 2011 (we left in 2016 to take advantage of another opportunity, but will likely live in Greenville again at some point in the future).

For us, the real highlights were:

Proximity to the mountains and the terrain in general. There's so much great hiking and other outdoor activities available in the region, and so many great views.

We loved having 4 seasons and appropriate seasonal weather (instead of "the heat", and those two weeks in January when it's kind of nice). Humidity isn't bad compared to FL (it can get a bit hotter), and winters are fairly mild.

The farmers markets in Greenville, and Travelers rest (we lived in both areas) are great, as is the annual farm tour.

Downtown Greenville, the park, local restaurants, breweries, etc (although that's more of a city vs. city comparison instead of Gulf Coast FL vs. Upstate SC comparison).

Additional bonuses:

No barrier islands / draw bridges to deal with (might not have been as big of an issue in Tampa as it was directly on the Gulf).

No season or snowbirds, and the economy isn't driven entirely around tourist and seasonal residents.

Every lake, river, and mud puddle doesn't have alligators in it.

Cost of living is generally better.

On the negative side: no Disney / Universal FL Resident deals (but our kids have grown, and now have left FL, so we might not have kept those anyway).

... can't really think of anything else that was a negative compared to FL.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
We lived in the Tampa Bay Area for 20 years, and moved to the Upstate in 2011 (we left in 2016 to take advantage of another opportunity, but will likely live in Greenville again at some point in the future).

For us, the real highlights were:

Proximity to the mountains and the terrain in general. There's so much great hiking and other outdoor activities available in the region, and so many great views.

We loved having 4 seasons and appropriate seasonal weather (instead of "the heat", and those two weeks in January when it's kind of nice). Humidity isn't bad compared to FL (it can get a bit hotter), and winters are fairly mild.

The farmers markets in Greenville, and Travelers rest (we lived in both areas) are great, as is the annual farm tour.

Downtown Greenville, the park, local restaurants, breweries, etc (although that's more of a city vs. city comparison instead of Gulf Coast FL vs. Upstate SC comparison).

Additional bonuses:

No barrier islands / draw bridges to deal with (might not have been as big of an issue in Tampa as it was directly on the Gulf).

No season or snowbirds, and the economy isn't driven entirely around tourist and seasonal residents.

Every lake, river, and mud puddle doesn't have alligators in it.

Cost of living is generally better.

On the negative side: no Disney / Universal FL Resident deals (but our kids have grown, and now have left FL, so we might not have kept those anyway).

... can't really think of anything else that was a negative compared to FL.
Hey Skunk Workz, I had no idea you moved. Good points to add

Old 03-29-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
I agree with beckycat- same experience.

We moved from Brandon to Simpsonville 7 years ago. Things I didn't know then but wished I did:
1. Lottery assisted college education program in Florida is far superior to the one in South Carolina. I had two daughters participate in the Bright Futures program and they were awarded 100% tuition reimbursement ($21,000 value) due to good grades and volunteer work. In SC, they offer you $6700 - $7500 reduction, but in state tuition is $34,000 per year. It's actually cheaper to forget the SC "benefit" and to pay out of state tuition in the midwest where they don't monkey with lottery money.

http://www.sceducationlottery.com/im...y_Brochure.pdf
http://www.floridastudentfinancialai...AwardChart.pdf

2. Sidewalks are hard to find in Simpsonville. Brandon had sidewalks on 99% of main roads and they don't exist here. Use caution when driving on county roads, because bikers have limited shoulder options to stay out of traffic. During my first year year, a biker (with complete protective gear) was struck and killed by a car when she failed to notice him and turned right in front of him.

3. "Bless your heart" is not really a blessing, lol.
Yes, I forgot the roads can be in pretty bad condition and don't have a shoulder. Bless your heart. lol It can go either way. Do you still like living in Simpsonville since you moved there?

Old 03-29-2018, 07:43 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
The only things I miss about Miami...my parents (but I get to see them all summer), authentic Cuban Food, fresh seafood, good Italian food (eggplant parm specifically), Shorty's BBQ...basically, different foods. Otherwise, as far as Miami itself, and what I miss about Miami...not a darn tootin thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area