Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 PM

98 posts, read 321,426 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My fiance and I are looking to move to Greenville either this Fall or next Spring. I have been researching the area for close to a year now and I really like what I see. However, I want to make sure that Greenville is what I am dreaming it up to be and I was hoping someone who moved from MI could help me. Basically I'd like to know what town in MI you would compare Greenville to. I live in Canton now, which is nice, but way too crowded. If I had to pick a city in MI to live it would be Traverse City (just for what they offer - lakes, cute and clean downtown, small town feel with everything you need, very friendly people - not for how far away it is from everything)

Can anyone that moved to Greenville from MI tell me what city they would compare Greenville too - or at least a close comparison. Thanks, I really appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 PM

128 posts, read 613,342 times
Yup, my bf and I moved down in June. We absolutely love it. I would compare it to Ann Arbor, maybe, smaller downtown and much less pretentious.

I'd recommend it absolutely.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 AM

Thanks jpoole52
I do like Ann Arbor a lot so that's good to know. I'm wondering what you think about the summers there - are they too hot?? All my Michigander friends and family tell me the summers there are brutal. What do you think?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:30 AM

Well, I really love the heat, so for the most part, I was fine, I was just happy I had a pool at my apartment, which I'll greatly miss this year since we moved. My boyfriend, however, hates the heat, and he doesn't think it was too bad. The humidity in Michigan kind of evens out with the slightly drier heat you get here.

Regardless, the beautiful fall, winter, and spring will more than make up for the hot 3 months you'll get. I think you love it

As for the crowdedness, Greenville is certainly growing, that you should be aware of. Rush hour on Ford Rd. in Canton could be comprarble to Woodruff Rd. in Greenville. Where are you looking to live?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoole52 View Post
The humidity in Michigan kind of evens out with the slightly drier heat you get here.
Interesting....

I had gotten the impression the humidity in Greenville was extremely oppressive, so I'm very glad to read your comments. On the retirement forum, a person from Lenoir NC said she couldn't take SC because of the high humidity. I was surprised that SC humidity would be even higher than NC humidity but I never got a reply, so I wasn't sure what to make of the comment. Of course, sometimes people just make angry comments because they're mad at the world.

I know the thread is about Michigan, but by any chance do you have any idea how the weather in Greenville compares with Asheville? I used to live in Asheville, so it's a good gauge for me.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the info. I think we will be fine in the heat too. This past winter in MI we had record cold and snowfall - and it's still going! Snow today, cold outside - I need to move!

I'm not too sure about where we will end up yet. Some places we are thinking are: Five Forks, Simpsonville, Mauldin. I'd like to live in an area where you have neighbors but it is not one sub after the other like it is in this area. We want to be close to stores and things but not too close. We also want to be within about 20 minutes or so of the downtown area. Of course all of this will depend on the jobs we get! Where do you live and what would you recommend?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:45 AM

oh, that's a hard one. i just bought in greer, in the riverside area, which has the best schools around. a lot of people like simpsonville, it's just not my cup of tea for some reason, i don't see the draw.

i really like the area i bought in, certain parts of taylors that go to eastside high are really nice, and i also like certain areas of powdersville, it's a little more rural, but that's just me.

you can search for discussions about areas of greenville to live to hear what others have said

Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 AM

548 posts, read 1,980,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Interesting....

I had gotten the impression the humidity in Greenville was extremely oppressive, so I'm very glad to read your comments. On the retirement forum, a person from Lenoir NC said she couldn't take SC because of the high humidity. I was surprised that SC humidity would be even higher than NC humidity but I never got a reply, so I wasn't sure what to make of the comment. Of course, sometimes people just make angry comments because they're mad at the world.

I know the thread is about Michigan, but by any chance do you have any idea how the weather in Greenville compares with Asheville? I used to live in Asheville, so it's a good gauge for me.

Asheville is usually 5-10 degrees cooler gets more snow then Greenville. It can be hot and humid in Greenville but not unbearable because it doesn't last all that long and as others said the spring and falls make up for it and the winters are short and sweet. Now the coast on the other hand can be hot and humid during the summer months which may be what one hears when someone mentions that South Carolina is hot and humid.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM

I know of someone who used to live in Kentucky and said the summer hummidity was unbearable - does anyone know how the summers in Greenville compare to other cities in the south?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 12,059 times
Default Summers and Places to Live

Hey Michigan!

I am originally from Northville, then lived in Indianapolis for 8 years, and now am absolutely happy that I live in Greenville,SC. The heat is quite tolerable here, especially compared to the Low Country (Columbia). Greenville's close proximity to the mountains helps protect the area from the 'bad heat'. Plus, since is hotter longer than we would be used to in Michigan, you adapt to it quicker here... not a lot a up and down in temps.

As for places to live, we live in the Powdersville/Easley area, which has less traffic, is 15 minutes from downtown Greenville, has great schools, and more property/home for your money. Simpsonville, Mauldin and Greer is not much different than Canton, Northville and Livonia as far as traffic and 'build-up' goes... just think smaller scale traffic compared to Metro Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area