Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I am noticing this to be common. No one opposes additional residences. They request retail, then complain where a retail development wants to locate. The result is the proposed retail development being cancelled, and more residences, storage facilities, Mattress Firm stores, money stores, etc. open.
Actually over by the Standing Springs Park in Simpsonville, the local residents there were protesting a proposed sub-division on a old horse farm. They had signs up and seemed pretty angry about it. One of their biggest concerns was traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
There was a plan to implement a sales tax to do road improvements, including widening Butler Road, but the voters of Greenville County resoundingly rejected it.
Well there is that gas tax increase that went through.

And why should the sales tax be on everyone in Greenville county even though they are not using these roads for this project? I think developers should be held liable to put some money towards improvements, since these developments put money in their pockets.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

And why should the sales tax be on everyone in Greenville county even though they are not using these roads for this project? I think developers should be held liable to put some money towards improvements, since these developments put money in their pockets.
Butler Road is used by a lot of people throughout Greenville County who already live here, and it's already a pretty busy road.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:21 AM

308 posts, read 270,231 times
Quote:

2 very good points:

1) A gas tax increase has gone through since the referendum was defeated, so I'm not sure why people keep bringing it up.

2) As a part of Greenville county council's new attitude towards development, they realize they are charging drastically less in developer's fees compared to Richland and Charleston counties. Why should it be all on the taxpayers to fund major improvements?

Old 08-09-2018, 08:21 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
As someone who lives right near the corner of Ashmore Bridge and Butler road I can tell you first hand every day between 5pm and 6pm traffic is a NIGHTMARE. Laurens road heading from Greenville into Mauldin is pretty horrible too.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
2 very good points:

1) A gas tax increase has gone through since the referendum was defeated, so I'm not sure why people keep bringing it up.

2) As a part of Greenville county council's new attitude towards development, they realize they are charging drastically less in developer's fees compared to Richland and Charleston counties. Why should it be all on the taxpayers to fund major improvements?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
As someone who lives right near the corner of Ashmore Bridge and Butler road I can tell you first hand every day between 5pm and 6pm traffic is a NIGHTMARE. Laurens road heading from Greenville into Mauldin is pretty horrible too.
There are just not enough residents speaking up at the planning commission meetings. I've seen a few attempts to organize large presences at these meetings, but even when that happens the board ignores the pleas.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:09 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I’m getting a new house built right off Ashmore Bridge Road. Lol...oops.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:13 AM

604 posts, read 584,467 times
It's really funny- these discussions sound exactly like ones I heard in FL for years. As soon as someone arrives, they want the borders closed and the construction stopped so it won't get too crowded. Like FL, most areas are actively encouraging rampant growth without any regard to where people are going to live, and how they're going to get from one place to another. Where I lived, my commute was 5 miles, featured 11 traffic lights, and could take up to 40 minutes during evening rush. It did NOT go through a retail area! That's why we live out in the country (for now).

Old 08-12-2018, 06:19 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Butler Road is used by a lot of people throughout Greenville County who already live here, and it's already a pretty busy road.
East Butler Road from Main Street to Woodruff Road needs to be four lanes. It is complete from Bridges Road/Corn Road to Verdin Road/Holland Road.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:25 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:

Though I wish they were more proactive, York County's program has been pretty successful:

https://www.penniesforprogress.net/

As to your suggestion that developers should contribute to road improvements, I couldn't agree more. I doubt that a developer would turn down the opportunity to build 1,000 homes, if the County stipulated that they need to participate in the addition of turning lanes, etc.

Once the buildings/housing is built, significant road improvements become a very expensive endeavor. At the very minimum, the builder/developer should donate a tract of land that parallels the existing road, so that future road widening can occur.

The alternative is for the area to grow into a congested mess.

Who wants that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area