Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 01:09 PM

300 posts, read 254,667 times

Advertisements

Spartanburg is a very large County. Spartanburg is very spread out. Yes there is a huge middle class and a lot of very wealthy people. The annexation laws are not like the annexation laws in N.C. So most of the middle class and upper middle class live outside the city limits. The city limits probably have not changed since the 1950's.(I am just guessing) In South Carolina we have double taxation. If you live in the county you pay just county tax. If you live in a city you pay city and county taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 01:16 PM

300 posts, read 254,667 times
But also there is a large middle class and very wealthy people that live in the city too. I do not know where you went but you surely didn't see much of Spartanburg.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:10 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
I don’t know much about the west side but I’ve been told that tends to be more transplants and more transient.

Regarding the Eastside, if you start at the corner of East Main and South Pine and make a triangle to the Fernwood Glendale Road area, you will have the “nice” parts of town. Some neighborhoods are on the east side of Fernwood-Glendale Road but for the most part, it’s inside that triangle.

Converse Heights, Fernwood, Montgomery, Hillcrest etc are lovely areas.

Keep in mind there is a LOT of money in what appears to be small, unpretentious houses. I have found Spartanburg to be very quiet, “old” money types. We left the DC area where everything was “in your face” new money. The bigger, the gawdier, the McMansion— the better. Not so in Spartanburg — quiet, understated, lovely.

Best of luck.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:42 PM

Thanks, Beckycat. We really do love Spartanburg. For whatever reason, it seems to “fit” us or vice versa. Hope you’re happy where you are now, too.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:46 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Thanks, Beckycat. We really do love Spartanburg. For whatever reason, it seems to “fit” us or vice versa. Hope you’re happy where you are now, too.
Great to hear and yes I am happy here Seems like there is alot of talk about upcoming Spartanburg. I think it's the next hot spot.

To the OP, there are some specific neighborhoods people trick or treat. Off the top of my head, Silver Lake, Half Mile, Pelham Falls, Neely Farms and North Main are a few.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,283 times
As far as trick or treating we get hordes of kids in our neighborhood every year. Usually run out of candy.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:54 PM

132 posts, read 113,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne77 View Post
I am wondering if there are any people new to the Greenville area on here that would be kind enough to share your move experience.
Where did you settle?
What schools are your kids attending?
Where did you relocate from?
Advice what to do, what not to do??

Thank you in advance!

No offense to everyone who has already been answering my many questions. I am just not seeing where people who may have posted earlier with their own questions are back on here after a move.
So we moved from NY, about 60 miles north of NYC, 6 months ago. We settled on the Westside of Spartanburg (it may be Wellford, but we have a Spartanburg address). Our kids are grown so I don’t know about schools. We are in our early 40’s.

We were originally going to rent for a year to get the lay of the land and see where we’d end up. I had been watching home prices for 2 years and with the prices going up so quickly, we decided that we might as well just buy. All I wanted was to be as close to Greenville as possible and Spartanburg was never on the radar. I suggest renting first, if you can.

We were limited as to where we could buy as we didn’t want a restrictive HOA, and we needed a bit more property to build an additional garage (which now is not going to happen, but that’s neither here nor there now). We ended up in a small development. There are only 9 homes (all adults with grown kids) and most residents own more than one lot. Homes average about 3,000 sq ft, with 2 homes over 6,000 sq ft (locals). If I left it to my husband we’d be on the top of a mountain without any other people around, but I still want neighbors so this was a compromise.

We really love the area. We are close enough to Greenville to go when we want and Spartanburg is a skip away. We can be at Target and Grocery store in 7 mins and most other daily needs within 10 mins. We find that we don’t frequent Greenville as much as we thought we would since we have everything we need here and we enjoy going to Downtown Spartanburg.

There is plenty to do as long as you put yourself out and look for things to do. There are plenty events going on- Dickins of a Christmas was beautiful. We are not church people and we have not been invited by anyone to church, which was a common complaint I heard when researching the move. We have found most people to be friendly and welcoming. We have met most of the neighbors, but most of the people we have met are from different social media groups. If you get invited for a gathering, go and meet new people, but also reciprocate and host a gathering yourself. We were invited to Thanksgiving by another transplant family. They don’t have family down here and neither do we. We will be hosting Christmas Eve with them as well.

Come down, look around, find where you are comfortable, and embrace the culture. Say hello to others when you are out. I find that I smile more when I’m out since we moved down.

I don’t find that the westside is worse that the eastside or that Greenville is better than Spartanburg, but that is definitely the opinion of some.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:08 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nans123 View Post
Spartanburg is a very large County. Spartanburg is very spread out. Yes there is a huge middle class and a lot of very wealthy people. The annexation laws are not like the annexation laws in N.C. So most of the middle class and upper middle class live outside the city limits. The city limits probably have not changed since the 1950's.(I am just guessing) In South Carolina we have double taxation. If you live in the county you pay just county tax. If you live in a city you pay city and county taxes.
Appreciate the reply Nans

You're right about me not having seen much of Spartanburg. The few times I went, I headed around the shopping districts, and went to the Beacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I don’t know much about the west side but I’ve been told that tends to be more transplants and more transient.

Regarding the Eastside, if you start at the corner of East Main and South Pine and make a triangle to the Fernwood Glendale Road area, you will have the “nice” parts of town. Some neighborhoods are on the east side of Fernwood-Glendale Road but for the most part, it’s inside that triangle.

Converse Heights, Fernwood, Montgomery, Hillcrest etc are lovely areas.

Keep in mind there is a LOT of money in what appears to be small, unpretentious houses. I have found Spartanburg to be very quiet, “old” money types. We left the DC area where everything was “in your face” new money. The bigger, the gawdier, the McMansion— the better. Not so in Spartanburg — quiet, understated, lovely.

Best of luck.
Thanks LL, for the very helpful reply. Having originally come from NY, I too, have had my fill of the nouveau riche.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:14 AM

NDL - forgot to answer your other question regarding the Wine Party. I did give out written invitations to people because I find people are more likely to come if dates, times, details are there for a reminder. I formally invited about five neighbors but the key was asking each of them to bring a friend. I think I ended up with about 15 ladies. This particular party was just ladies but it would work with couples, too.

I think I spent about $50/60 on wine and make two cakes, a cheese and grapes tray and some cookies. Nothing too fancy.

I did it on a Monday evening from 7-9 (husband had a commitment that night) and the only problem I had was getting people to leave! Lol. It was great fun.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:15 AM

22 posts, read 12,832 times
Question: When certain areas are mentioned like Converse Heights, are these neighborhoods developments or towns? I see a lot of places in the forums referencing what seems like neighborhoods?
How are Reidsville schools? Is the area safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area