Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:20 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times

Advertisements

I was talking to some Republican friends in Greenville the other day about if they talk about politics at work and they said that like me they would never bring it up at work because they would be worried somebody would pull a Jussie on them, frame them up as a racist and report you to company's HR.

It is not worth risking your job.

We got to stay in the closet even in a place that is majority Republican voter.

I don't think it will be long before Greenville will be one of the most liberal places in the country with the latest wave of transplants moving in because of the popularity of downtown. It seems to be pulling some people in that would have never considered Greenville in the past.

It seems like every city near the mountains or has some hills eventually goes dark blue.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:24 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,675 times
I get the connotation, but literally what's a "Jussie"?

Old 02-19-2019, 03:30 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
You haven't heard about the actor Jussie Smollet's race hoax.

I refer to race hoaxes in general as 'pulling a Jussie' now.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:14 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I was talking to some Republican friends in Greenville the other day about if they talk about politics at work and they said that like me they would never bring it up at work because they would be worried somebody would pull a Jussie on them, frame them up as a racist and report you to company's HR.

It is not worth risking your job.

We got to stay in the closet even in a place that is majority Republican voter.
Talk about politics and religion doesn't belong at work in any case -- unless you work for a political party or a religious organization. It's asking for trouble. People I knew and trusted at work I'd share my thoughts with, but those conversations belong off the clock and off premises.

Quote:
I don't think it will be long before Greenville will be one of the most liberal places in the country with the latest wave of transplants moving in because of the popularity of downtown. It seems to be pulling some people in that would have never considered Greenville in the past.

It seems like every city near the mountains or has some hills eventually goes dark blue.
I moved here because I'm a conservative with strong libertarian leanings and I got tired of my votes in a deep blue (and corrupt) state like Illinois counting for nothing. I suspect there are a lot of migrants that are like me. I don't buy that South Carolina will turn deep blue in my lifetime -- in fact I'm counting on it not happening. A 2014 article on migration and politics provides support for my belief:

Quote:
...as the Times noted, a number of red states (such as Idaho and South Carolina) are home to many blue state transplants yet continue to vote reliably Republican. There’s little sign that’s changing...
Article is here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...d-states-blue/

Old 02-19-2019, 04:17 PM

513 posts, read 576,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
plus at the same place of work (white collar large engineering firm), different co-workers spouting violent anti-Obama speech regularly and getting away with it, with management turning a blind eye. It does happen around here, and nowhere else I've ever lived have I had to deal with it. It's not everywhere around here, but it does happen.
Just curious, is it any kind of speech like this you that don't like, or just speech that is different from your own views? Yes, I heard anti Obama speech when he was pres, but I have never in my life heard as much hate for a pres as there is against Trump. It is literally EVERYWHERE. And not only is it tolerated it is promoted. Do you expect management to do something about that as well if you hear it? There was plenty to go around for Bush too, did that bother you as well? For the record, I'm conservative but did not vote for Trump and don't especially like his persona.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:28 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't think it is keeping the real to describe Greenville as 'the old south" which had slavery, lynching, segregation, an agricultural based economy, etc. That's fabulism not much different than what the guy in the news appears to have done.

You should preface your assertions about Greenville with a disclosure you have never lived in Greenville or SC. Unless you have a mind reading machine I don't see how you could know what people in Greenville think about race matters.

It seems that if what you say about true about Greenville being the "old south' than it would also be true for Hendersonville, a small town without much of a job market. You've said live in H'ville or plan to move there. I would describe H'ville as 'nothing special' across the board.

Big cities like ATL no doubt have more shopping than Greenville but will be worse in things like traffic and housing costs. I never go to another city to shop.
Very telling that your first thought was slavery, lynching, etc.. when I mentioned 'old south'. Quite frankly, this never crossed my mind. There's a whole lot more associated with the 'old south' than those horrific things. My guess is you probably didn't grow up in the south; you may have even moved here later in life. It is obvious you can't be objective when it comes to Greenville. I said it is one of the best places to live in the south, but certainly not perfect.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Talk about politics and religion doesn't belong at work in any case -- unless you work for a political party or a religious organization. It's asking for trouble. People I knew and trusted at work I'd share my thoughts with, but those conversations belong off the clock and off premises.

I moved here because I'm a conservative with strong libertarian leanings and I got tired of my votes in a deep blue (and corrupt) state like Illinois counting for nothing. I suspect there are a lot of migrants that are like me. I don't buy that South Carolina will turn deep blue in my lifetime -- in fact I'm counting on it not happening. A 2014 article on migration and politics provides support for my belief:

Article is here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...d-states-blue/
We need more people like you (but so does every state).

I don't think that the influx of people to Greenville will turn it Democratic; aren't people who move to Greenville probably relatively conservative, and they are self-selecting by moving to a conservative area? However, Democratic promises of "free stuff for all, with no strings attached" are pretty tough to beat, so that might do it.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I'm Eastern Orthodox, so I'm in that tiny 0.4%. Over my 72 years, I've only been approached by someone once - a bunch of high school kids with bibles approached me while I was eating at McDonalds in Chapel Hill to "save" me. I found it more amusing than anything.

I've seen the street preachers downtown, but I also used to see them outside the train station in Chicago when I was going to work, and in Naperville IL when I lived there they'd show up once and a while in the summer at our Riverwalk to "save" the teenagers who were hanging out. So there may be more of them here, but you can run into them anywhere. The JWs seem to be everywhere these days with their literature stands - but I haven't seen them harassing passersby. Never once in my life have I gotten a knock on the door by missionary Mormons or JWs. I've had coworkers who were evangelicals, but they didn't harrass coworkers who weren't. I'm amazed by the stories of people who say they're frequently approached by evangelizers. I've either lucked out, or I'm exuding a vibe of pure evil so they pass me by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
We had numerous visits from Mormon and Seventh Day Adventists over the years when we lived in the DC area.

When we moved here, I expected more of this but it’s actually been a lot less. Upon first moving in and meeting neighbors, several said “If you haven’t found a church, I’d love to have you visit ours”. But it wasn’t meant to be pushy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Agreed.

I've never been invited to church by anyone in Greenville. I've had that happen in other larger and more liberal cities, although I actually liked it.
The only two reasons I can come up with as to why a person would be offended by being asked to a non-violent social gathering (in an attempt to make them feel welcome) is that they (1) truly have a beef with the nature of the gathering, or (2) it just doesn't pertain to them (there are certainly social gatherings I would (and have) decline(d), for either or both reason(s) but I wasn't "offended"). As for the nature of being invited to a church; some simply want nothing to do with religion or God and that is their choice. However, to feel "offended" because someone is trying to connect with you just isn't logical; especially if you are going to turn around and talk about a place being unfriendly, hard to fit in, or judgemental. The good news is we have a choice about whether or not we want to be offended. If one wants to be offended by being asked to go to church, one certainly has that right. However, I would think it would be awfully hard to feel at ease anywhere if I chose to routinely be offended by those around me. My time living in Colorado could have been pretty miserable had I chosen to be offended everytime someone asked me which 14'er I had climbed, which ski resorts were my favorite, or who my favorite Bronco players were. As it turns out, even though I'm not a skier, not a Bronco's fan, and never got a chance to climb a 14'er; they were just trying to be friendly and get to know me; imagine that.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree with what you're saying but I think it's preposterous to describe Greenville as "old South" today based on that history. If that's the case, you'd have to say the same about Atlanta, Houston, Austin, Dallas, Charlotte, Raleigh, DC, Baltimore, etc.
Other than perhaps a few isolated and extreme pockets that may still reflect some of the activites of long ago, it doesn't make much sense to me for the South to still be compared to (and judged by) the standards (or lack thereof) of the "Old South." We don't do this with other parts of the country. Would it be fair or appropriate for the West to be judged on what took place there? The genocide of Native Americans and Mexicans, the lawlessness of the "Old West", or the greed of the Gold Rush? What about the North, with their history of intolerable factories featuring "slave like" conditions for immigrant workers and children, or their history of slave ownership and slave profiteering after they realized direct slavery was not as profitable for them? In truth, this nation has a lot of dark history, but if we're ever going to come together as a nation we have to see that we are no longer our forefathers. If the rest of the nation is insistent on holding the South hostage of it's history, perhaps they should look a little more at their own as well.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:27 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Other than perhaps a few isolated and extreme pockets that may still reflect some of the activites of long ago, it doesn't make much sense to me for the South to still be compared to (and judged by) the standards (or lack thereof) of the "Old South." We don't do this with other parts of the country. Would it be fair or appropriate for the West to be judged on what took place there? The genocide of Native Americans and Mexicans, the lawlessness of the "Old West", or the greed of the Gold Rush? What about the North, with their history of intolerable factories featuring "slave like" conditions for immigrant workers and children, or their history of slave ownership and slave profiteering after they realized direct slavery was not as profitable for them? In truth, this nation has a lot of dark history, but if we're ever going to come together as a nation we have to see that we are no longer our forefathers. If the rest of the nation is insistent on holding the South hostage of it's history, perhaps they should look a little more at their own as well.
There's a lot more to the 'Old South' than slavery. Actually, I was not meaning it in a derogatory way at all. The 'Old South' had/has unique customs, values, norms, clothing styles, cooking methods, etc.. These are things that were unique long ago, and in many cases, are still today. My ancestors go back to the 'Old South' as far back as I remember. We were raised to believe in equality and justice for everyone, regardless of skin color. Just because some, perhaps many, in the South had these feelings, doesn't mean all of our ancestors did. We need to be careful in making this accusation.

Last edited by Lizap; 02-19-2019 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area