Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:29 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,761,819 times

Advertisements

And to think, a few vocal idiots were against this wonderful addition to Greenville. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ge/2245663001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 06:02 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,412,138 times
How is it stupid for taxpayers to question if a pedestrian bridge over a waterfall is a good use of tax revenue.

There was no functional need for the bridge.

There are homeless people downtown. The money spent on a pedestrian bridge could have helped those people.

I like the bridge but to argue it was the best use of tax revenue is kind of a stretch.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:30 AM

605 posts, read 585,382 times
It would be impossible to calculate, but I'm pretty sure that the bridge has brought enough revenue to downtown to pay for itself. Little to none of that additional revenue was likely used to help the homeless, but it certainly has been a major component of the revitalization.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:08 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,761,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
How is it stupid for taxpayers to question if a pedestrian bridge over a waterfall is a good use of tax revenue.

There was no functional need for the bridge.

There are homeless people downtown. The money spent on a pedestrian bridge could have helped those people.

I like the bridge but to argue it was the best use of tax revenue is kind of a stretch.
How stupid is it to not see the return on that bridge. Obviously you did not read the article. “Of course, the Main Street didn't go all the way, I remember. Now you've extended the Main Street and have all of this new development. The bridge cost $4.5 million. I think you have $200 million of development so the bargain, the payoff, is enormous.”

There is plenty of private money to take of our homeless. Have you ever heard of Triune or attended a worship service there? By the way, a worship service at Triune is what church is supposed to look like. Rich, poor, white and black all there to worship our Lord. It is beautiful.

Last edited by furmanpals; 09-08-2019 at 04:40 AM..

Old 09-08-2019, 08:20 AM

A lot of people don't go to Falls Park or downtown but they've been forced to subsidize a pedestrian bridge.

I'm confused as to why you call people stupid if they have a difference of opinion than you on the use of tax revenue. It doesn't seem like an IQ test to me.

What does that worship service have to do with the bridge.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:12 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,651,586 times
Quote:
A lot of people don't go to Falls Park or downtown but they've been forced to subsidize a pedestrian bridge.

I'm confused as to why you call people stupid if they have a difference of opinion than you on the use of tax revenue. It doesn't seem like an IQ test to me.

The pedestrian bridge and downtown actually subsidizes the entire area by attracting investment, jobs and visitors. The taxes collected downtown is used throughout the city limits and I'm actually impressed on how each year they budget different types of projects across the city in each district. Why are you so salty?

Old 09-08-2019, 11:14 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
Quote:

How do you know a lot of people don’t go to Falls Park or downtown? Did you go around and ask every single person living here? I’m curious how you come up with facts without any proof to back it up. Every penny that was spent on building Falls Park was worth it.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
The pedestrian bridge and downtown actually subsidizes the entire area by attracting investment, jobs and visitors. The taxes collected downtown is used throughout the city limits and I'm actually impressed on how each year they budget different types of projects across the city in each district. Why are you so salty?
I would say you are salty , projecting onto me

I was responding to a person who randomly insulted the people who didn't support using tax dollars for a pedestrian bridge over a waterfall.

The waterfall alone draws a crowd and it was free

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-08-2019 at 12:45 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 12:36 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
How do you know a lot of people don’t go to Falls Park or downtown? Did you go around and ask every single person living here? I’m curious how you come up with facts without any proof to back it up. Every penny that was spent on building Falls Park was worth it.
I wonder how many tourism dollars go into Downtown Greenville; the area is literally flooded with people almost every evening.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
What evidence do you have everybody goes to falls park and downtown. Did you ask everyone in Greenville.

My point is people are not stupid because they have a different view on best use of tax dollars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area