Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 08:22 PM

13,044 posts, read 18,911,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Kinda weird as the Greenville metro added slightly more people. I'll look at my own MLS before I read those articles. Can't get more concrete than that. I have all the access to the numbers I want being in the business.
Someone in the Greenville forum a while back said their insider figures showed the area’s median price was as high as the Charleston area’s. That wasn’t true and still isn’t. So I’m not sure where these discrepancies are coming from. Oh well, not that important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 07:25 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,377,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Someone in the Greenville forum a while back said their insider figures showed the area’s median price was as high as the Charleston area’s. That wasn’t true and still isn’t. So I’m not sure where these discrepancies are coming from. Oh well, not that important.
Charleston is higher, but it isn't San Francisco higher. Greenville has gotten pretty pricey for just a regular city with no beach. Truth be known Charleston should be much bigger and populated than every city with it's age and being on the coast. I can live in each area comfortably with no strain to my finances. San Fran is a different story.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Charleston is higher, but it isn't San Francisco higher. Greenville has gotten pretty pricey for just a regular city with no beach. Truth be known Charleston should be much bigger and populated than every city with it's age and being on the coast. I can live in each area comfortably with no strain to my finances. San Fran is a different story.
"Charleston is 24.2% more expensive than Greenville. Charleston housing costs are 68.8% more expensive than Greenville housing costs. Health related expenses are 3.3% less in Charleston."

-2022 Compare Cities Cost of Living: Greenville, SC vs ...h

The Charleston metro grew faster then Greenville's, not only from 2010 to 2020 but from 2020 to 2021. But that's beside the point. The point I was making was that Charleston's inventory has fallen dramatically, partly because would-be sellers are afraid they wouldn't be able to find another house they could afford, and partly because a high percentage of the young people here can't afford to buy in this market and are renting, although enough young people have bought in the area to have been featured in an article about young people buying homes here. I'm not saying no young people here are buying.

Charleston metro's median price was $385,000 in December 2021 (Charleston Trident Association of Realtors, Jan. 2022) to Greenville metro's $280,000 (Greater Greenville Association of Realtors, Jan. 2022). Greenville's total inventory had risen from the prior December. Charleston's had tanked. Whether the recent stats are a blip, a trend, or a turning point for the long haul remains to be seen. Charleston is in the middle of a media blitz about the need to build lots of houses at prices more people can afford. We'll see.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:18 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,487,656 times
Spartanburg has apparently been discovered. Article says buyers competing, all cash offers, prices rising rapidly, low inventory, quick turnarounds, new developments

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news...me/9357975002/

Old 03-30-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
"Charleston is 24.2% more expensive than Greenville. Charleston housing costs are 68.8% more expensive than Greenville housing costs. Health related expenses are 3.3% less in Charleston."

-2022 Compare Cities Cost of Living: Greenville, SC vs ...h

The Charleston metro grew faster then Greenville's, not only from 2010 to 2020 but from 2020 to 2021. But that's beside the point. The point I was making was that Charleston's inventory has fallen dramatically, partly because would-be sellers are afraid they wouldn't be able to find another house they could afford, and partly because a high percentage of the young people here can't afford to buy in this market and are renting, although enough young people have bought in the area to have been featured in an article about young people buying homes here. I'm not saying no young people here are buying.

Charleston metro's median price was $385,000 in December 2021 (Charleston Trident Association of Realtors, Jan. 2022) to Greenville metro's $280,000 (Greater Greenville Association of Realtors, Jan. 2022). Greenville's total inventory had risen from the prior December. Charleston's had tanked. Whether the recent stats are a blip, a trend, or a turning point for the long haul remains to be seen. Charleston is in the middle of a media blitz about the need to build lots of houses at prices more people can afford. We'll see.
And I can still live comfortably in either. And I chose Greenville. It ain't San Francisco. I have the current numbers. I'm in the business, so I didn't need the January numbers sir. Both cities are in a media blitz. I guess Charleston should be the largest metro too given it's age and being a port city. But it isn't, it's 3rd. Sometimes I think you guys can't see outside of Charleston. Other places are growing in the state too.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
And I can still live comfortably in either. And I chose Greenville. It ain't San Francisco. I have the current numbers. I'm in the business, so I didn't need the January numbers sir. Both cities are in a media blitz. I guess Charleston should be the largest metro too given it's age and being a port city. But it isn't, it's 3rd. Sometimes I think you guys can't see outside of Charleston. Other places are growing in the state too.
I'm a native South Carolinian raised in the Midlands. I lived in Columbia 31 years. I'm 63. I moved to Charleston only seven years ago.

I know the whole state and can "see" all of it. Charleston's the state's largest city, the third largest metropolitan statistical area (growing at the fastest rate).

I wasn't comparing cities or metros. I was just giving a reason why Charleston metro's real estate stats showed a decrease (while still leading the state significantly) in sales. I'm not a city vs. city poster.

Old 03-31-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I'm a native South Carolinian raised in the Midlands. I lived in Columbia 31 years. I'm 63. I moved to Charleston only seven years ago.

I know the whole state and can "see" all of it. Charleston's the state's largest city, the third largest metropolitan statistical area (growing at the fastest rate).

I wasn't comparing cities or metros. I was just giving a reason why Charleston metro's real estate stats showed a decrease (while still leading the state significantly) in sales. I'm not a city vs. city poster.
Sure you are sir. Lol. We've both been here a minute. You do get involved in versus. That's sorta what this is. Lol. All of that you just said and lil ole Greenville is still the largest metro. With a coast, lots of history; and its age shouldn't this be Charleston sir? Greenville was just a sleepy textile town. City population? Meh. No annexation up here. Only 29 square miles. Rate? If you're raw number isn't more you still aren't eclipsing the area that has more people.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:42 PM

I don’t mind joining the discussion for some clarification when a thread title or post says this city did this great thing but look at these other cities. Again, I was only offering an explanation for Charleston metro’s decline in sales: a majorly tanked inventory and a $125,000-higher (and more) median price than other comparably sized SC housing markets. As for why Charleston’s not a megapolis, it’s in SC and there was a civil war.

Old 04-02-2022, 02:24 PM

13 posts, read 8,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Spartanburg has apparently been discovered. Article says buyers competing, all cash offers, prices rising rapidly, low inventory, quick turnarounds, new developments

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news...me/9357975002/
I guess it's going to be tough trying to find housing in the greater Spartanburg area. I am hoping to buy a townhouse near Boiling Springs, SC but with all this buying frenzy not sure if I can match all cash offers. With the Fed raising rates this year, maybe rising mortgage rates will temper some of that enthusiasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area