Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,874,369 times

Advertisements

Hey SR--
Yeah, I think the "belonging" statement is kind of a reach for most of us. For me, I have to drive about an hour to get to Costco and go about 8 times per year. I use the membership for my biz and personal use so I see multiple benefits. My perception of the value is that I can get better quality meats, cheeses and produce that what I typically buy at Bilo or Whole Foods (for some things) for the same amount or less. I enjoy walking through the special purchase/seasonal items...you know, those things you have always needed but never knew you did until you saw them? Anyway, my strategy is to go through the store and put everything in the buggy (yes, I'm Southern and say BUGGY!) and then "edit out" things at the end that we will not use (or freeze) in total or which we can live without until the next shopping trip. I get the immediate gratification of "owning" it while I walk through the store and then, frequently, my urge to really have it passes before I spend the money. My that's just my little trick......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:48 PM

275 posts, read 1,761,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I hear what you are saying SR, but for me, it has already been a savings. I bought a tv and glasses for less than I could have bought the same things otherwise, and I have saved on other things as well. My daughter is on my membership too and she says she saves a ton on diapers even compared to the price on base, she is in the army.

So, yeah, everyone should run the numbers. You make up your money fast if you are buying bigger ticket items, such as I mentioned and the tires mentioned earlier. I do agree that paper products are no bargain at SC. My rule of thumb for tp is not more than 25 cents per roll, and that has been my rule for 25 years! When I checked, the tp was more at SC and not as good quality.

So just like going to outlet stores or malls, you have to know your prices or you can end up paying the same as more as you would otherwise.
I have to agree on diapers and wipes. When my daughter was born in 2003 we priced diapers and wipes at Costco, Target, Walmart, and grocery stores. Costco had the lowest prices and the savings were significant (although I can't remember amounts). We bought name brand diapers and the Kirkland wipes and really liked buying these items in bulk since babies go through lots of diapers and wipes. I think the powdered formula was priced good at Costco as well, but we purchased ours at Walmart because Costco did not carry the brand we were using.

I happen to like Costco (no experience with Sams), and know you can save money there, but you have to be disciplined and not buy on impulse. We shop mainly at Walmart, Costco, and Target, and between these 3 stores I think we pretty much maximise our savings. Each store carries some items cheaper than the other and if we limited ourselves to just one store we would spend more money.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
I have to agree on diapers and wipes. When my daughter was born in 2003 we priced diapers and wipes at Costco, Target, Walmart, and grocery stores. Costco had the lowest prices and the savings were significant (although I can't remember amounts). We bought name brand diapers and the Kirkland wipes and really liked buying these items in bulk since babies go through lots of diapers and wipes. I think the powdered formula was priced good at Costco as well, but we purchased ours at Walmart because Costco did not carry the brand we were using.

I happen to like Costco (no experience with Sams), and know you can save money there, but you have to be disciplined and not buy on impulse. We shop mainly at Walmart, Costco, and Target, and between these 3 stores I think we pretty much maximise our savings. Each store carries some items cheaper than the other and if we limited ourselves to just one store we would spend more money.
Well, that's your mistake right there. Name brand is double the price of Target brand, and not twice as good.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
sams is smaller less choices but fresher stuff and a store warrenty that cant be beat.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 AM

275 posts, read 1,761,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Well, that's your mistake right there. Name brand is double the price of Target brand, and not twice as good.
Gee, thanks for pointing out my mistakes!

We actually tried out a variety of diapers, both name brand and generics, and chose the diaper that seemed to work best for our daughter. That diaper cost us less when we bought it in bulk at Costco.

I buy generic or store brands when I like them, otherwise I buy a name brand. A good example of this is paper towels. Most store brand paper towels I have tried seem to be too thin and small. The Kirkland brand in my opinion are thicker and larger. They also cost less than equivalent name brands I've priced at grocery stores. Therefore, I usually buy the Costco Kirkland paper towels. Its not just cost, but the right cost at the right quality for me and my family. Or, putting it another way, I won't buy cheap just because its cheap!

Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
I buy generic or store brands when I like them, otherwise I buy a name brand. A good example of this is paper towels. Most store brand paper towels I have tried seem to be too thin and small. The Kirkland brand in my opinion are thicker and larger. They also cost less than equivalent name brands I've priced at grocery stores. Therefore, I usually buy the Costco Kirkland paper towels. Its not just cost, but the right cost at the right quality for me and my family. Or, putting it another way, I won't buy cheap just because its cheap!
I calculated the per-sheet cost once and the Kirkland paper towels actually cost more per sheet than Bounty (both Costco prices) But as you say, they may be thicker.

I've found the Kirkland stuff to often be more expensive than brand-name stuff. This applies for Kirkland champagne as well. I guess they're pretty confident in their store brand.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:33 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
sams is smaller less choices but fresher stuff and a store warrenty that cant be beat.
I was a member of Sam's for five years and just recently switched over to Costco.

One of the things I hated about Sam's was the long lines when I visited. Usually only one person at each register and maybe one or two walking around scanning your items before you get to the register. Still wasn't easy to check out.

At Costco, there are usually two at each register one unloading, then reloading the carts, really speeds things up.

Costco's has a free 2-year warranty on all electronics it sells. Sure, you can't return that new LCD TV a few months later when the price drops anymore. Costco also has a concierge service that you can call for help with all electronics Costco sells.

They only use "choice" cuts of meat. Costco's meat is as fresh if not more fresher than Sam's.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 AM

199 posts, read 493,047 times
Default I love costco

I really do love Costco. It's true that everything is not cheaper in the store than at WM or other places. I never buy TP or Paper Towels there since it does seem more costly. Their computer people also bother me as they are not as helpful as Staples and when I don't have confidence in them, I don't buy from them. I'm not smart enough to know exactly what I'm buying when it comes to computers. I think they could double their computer sales if they would just set up a booth with some tech people who knew their stuff.

- I buy the Carnegie Deli pickles - if you haven't tried them I strongly suggest it.
- Books
- Their meats are always excellent
- Cheese quality / selection is better than Bloom.
- I do believe that the cereals are also cheaper there.
- The shampoo, Tylenol and toiletries seem cheaper to me as well.
- Cat litter is cheaper at Costco, though they don't carry a selection of cat food.
- I buy my coffee there, but I don't think it is much cheaper (if at all).
- I think they sell more TV's than Best Buy, WM, and Target combined.
- The flag on my front porch came from Costco too.

I was happy to see one person mention the $1.50 lunch. It may not be healthy, but you'll never find a cheaper lunch. Nobody mentioned all the free tastings on the weekends.

Here's something interesting that I have found:
I bought a vacuum at WM last year for $119.00. I brought it home and hadn't opened it yet. The next day, I went to Costco and found the "same" vacuum for the same price. The interesting thing is that it had another attachment for the stairs. I bought it and returned the WM one. WM is so tough on their suppliers that the suppliers come up with ways to cheapen the products that go to WM and supply the bells and whistles to other stores. Costco always has the higher end models on the shelves and not cheap stuff. I believe it is because they have the most liberal return policy I have ever seen in a store. They have to have quality stuff to support their policy.

Tip for the travelers out there:
Buy a Kirkland suitcase over a Samsonite and you won't be disappointed. It is a little heavier, but the quality is much higher.

Sorry for the long post, but I LOVE COSTCO!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Man View Post
Tip for the travelers out there:
Buy a Kirkland suitcase over a Samsonite and you won't be disappointed. It is a little heavier, but the quality is much higher.
The place to buy a good suitcase is TJ Maxx!

Old 08-18-2009, 05:50 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
The place to buy a good suitcase is TJ Maxx!
amen to that!! cheap and good quality!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area