Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 AM

49 posts, read 167,601 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Greenville from Lake Norman area in NC. We would like to keep our boat and wondered where is the closed recreational lake for skiing and boating. Is there any cheap real estate for a weekend cabin on these lakes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Lake Hartwell is the closest large lake to Greenville.....about 45 minutes southeast of the city. Note, due to the recent ongoing drought, some inlets around Hartwell are dry. If you buy land, know your depth and if you choose a marina, choose a deepwater marina. We have a boat docked at Harbor Light Marina, which is right at I-85 and very convenient. The best thing about Harbor Light is that it is right on the main portion of the Tugaloo River and is a deep water marina. Normally the depth finder on our boat registers 52 ft when in the slip during full pool at the lake.......even when the lake reached its low point in early December, our depth finder registered 38 ft in our slip. Be careful of Hartwell Marina or Portman Marina.....both are which are much more shallow.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 AM

49 posts, read 167,601 times
How much does it cost to keep your boat there. Do you pack for the day when you go up and spend the whole day there, or what do you do. Are there restaurants on the lake, parks to pull up to?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
The marina has various size slips up to 50 ft. Both covered and uncovered. Prices vary according to slip size / cover. Additionally, we got a good deal as the marina wanted to move us to a different slip last year and I negotiated a lower rate to agree to move. The owners are nice guys. You can check out Harbor Light just by "googling". The current rates are listed on the website.

Starting in spring, we usually head down on Friday afternoon and stay to Sunday evening (or sometimes Monday morning) and head home. We store most everything we need on the boat as we a have a good sized boat. For groceries, we stop on the way down.....there is a Bloom grocery store just off I-85 at the highway 81 exit. For other little things, the marina has a store.

Yes, there are several restaurants that dot the lake. One is just a few minutes north of the marina. "T-60" is the name (it is at buoy T60). Famous for great "low country boils". Great margarita's. Outside decks. A very fun place on a Saturday evening after a day on the lake.

There are numerous state parks that dot around the lake.....the lake is right at 1,000 miles of shoreline.....huge lake. Most all parks have docks and sandy beaches where you can beach your boat.

The most fun at Hartwell are the islands. Hartwell has hundreds of islands....most with pretty soft sandy soil so you can beach your boat (be careful though). We have a few favorite islands and meet the same group of friends week after week at the same spots. A real sense of community and family on Hartwell.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:57 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,616 times
don't forget the galley and nami at portman! yum!!

Old 01-30-2009, 01:37 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times
I live on a small lake near Greenville called Saluda, not even a pond compared to Hartwell, but boating fishing, waterskiing and tubing are possible, thought it was worth mentioning, also Lake Cunningham, Appalache, Keowee, Lyman, Robinson, Greenwood, all decent lakes in the area, I think that pretty much covers SC, near greenville anyway, I might be forgetting one or two. oh Lake Lanier is within a couple hours in Georgia, as well as Lake Burton, Chatuge lake, Lake Nottely and Lake Blue Ridge, these are all within a few hours of Greenville. Wow, I didn't even realize there were that many til I started typing this

Old 02-01-2009, 03:23 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,616 times
jocassee too

Old 02-01-2009, 09:27 PM

282 posts, read 750,964 times
What do you call "cheap" real estate? There are some options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area