Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Vacation to Greenville, 5 day itinerary, hotels, bed and breakfasts, possible relocation looking for neighborhood and resident’s feel of outlying suburbs

Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 AM

8 posts, read 22,613 times

Advertisements

Mr. TinyE and I will be taking our first trip to Greenville in a month or so. We have two goals in mind:

(1) We really want to get a realistic resident's feel of the city and the outlying areas. We are thinking about moving to the area in 1-2 years.

(2) At the same time, we are vacationing. We do need to stay at a hotel. A bed and breakfast is an option too.

Suggested itineraries for a 4-5 day trip?

Our end goal: It'll be good to experience and/or know of the best of the best (please suggest away there), but at the same time it'll also help to a feel of the area (e.g., different areas or neighborhoods) and daily life. We are both in our mid-30's and find the downtown area appealing but are also easily charmed by older areas with character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 19,397 times
Hi, and welcome to South Carolina! I moved here from West Palm Beach, FL about three years ago. I currently live in Spartanburg and will be moving to Greenville in May. My reason for moving? Spartanburg is o.k., but as far as activities, places to go, dining, sports - not much going for it. Greenville, on the other hand, is as close as you can get to fun and excitement in the Upstate, especially after experiencing South Florida.

Of course Greenville has a lot less crime, definently less expensive, and just enough southern charm so that you don't feel "home sick" for your previous location whether it be Florida, New Jersey (my original home) or California.

Just like any big city it has it's not-so-good areas. Driving around on a weekend they are easy to spot. I am moving closer to the Simpsonville area - just a short drive from downtown Greenville. My goal is to be able to enjoy the city on my own terms. Unlike West Palm Beach, I won't be constantly bombarded by the noise and activity of city life.

Because of it's vast educational institutions Greenville is full of young people. And being at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains (ant hills compared to the Rockies) makes for some great scenery if you just want to daydream the hours away. The city has more places to spend your money then any other area in the Upstate.

I hope this helps just a little bit. Like you, I am in the learning mode. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here once you find your niche.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:26 AM

65 posts, read 203,583 times
Before we moved here, we spent a day with a realtor and he showed us all around. It was very confusing and tiring, even though I had a map. At least you'll have a few days.

I think staying downtown would be fun and fulfill the "vacation" part of the trip. If you have any special interests, you'll want to check those out. You mentioned that you like older areas, so be sure to drive into the subdivisions off North Main. If you know where your job will be, you can concentrate on nearby residential areas, unless you don't mind a long commute. If you think you'll be into hiking or boating, you might want to spend some time at Paris Mountain or one of the lakes.

We've been here a year and are enjoying it very much. Our favorite things to do (away from the house) are walking/eating downtown, hiking Paris Mtn and going to cultural events. At home we enjoy bird-watching, walking, hobbies, etc. What don't we like? The traffic on Woodruff Rd, the large overall size of the metro area, and for me the winters are a bit cold even though I'm from MI (and have lived in LA, AZ and CA).

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2009, 02:45 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,994 times
In town, I recommend the Pettigru Place B&B. It's a lovely place, and an easy walk to Main Street. It makes a good base of operations for exploring the city. To enjoy the country aspects, try Sunrise Farms B&B, in Salem. Although it's an hour+ from Greenville, it's near the mountains and the lakes. That corner of SC has an unusual number of waterfalls to check out. If nothing else, drive along Hwy 11, which runs right at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and there are a number of beautiful parks all along the way. We stayed at both of those B&B's last April, and had a great time. Spring is unusual in the mountains, as the season 'changes' with altitude. It can be late spring in Columbus, but still early spring at 3000'. Have a great trip, and report back to us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area