Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 AM

10,134 posts, read 7,803,134 times

Advertisements

How do you care for your yard during the year?

I didn't put anything on my grass this past winter except I did spray some weeds using a spray weed killer and I did pull up a lot of the weeds by the roots myself.

I now have some Scotts Plus 2 Weed Control but I will probably wait a couple of weeks before putting that down.

My grass is starting to turn green and I can see it has quite a lot of weeds.

How do you control weeds and get pretty green grass for the spring and summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,850,433 times
Bermuda – Weed Control | Walter Reeves: The Georgia Gardener

HGIC 1216 Bermudagrass Maintenance Calendar : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

Over the years I used Scott's Lawn Service and had good results. I tried the past few years to tackle it myself buying Scott's from Home Depot and the results were not as good. So this year I went with Nature Scape, a new service here in the upstate. They are charging $159 for 6 treatments at under $5k sf.

http://www.naturescapelawncare.com/

Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM

477 posts, read 842,316 times
We have Bermuda grass and I have been trying to get rid of all the crabgrass myself for 2 years.

Result: Crapgrass 2 , Toto 0

I am letting the Scott's people deal with it now. They are actually out for the second treatment right now.
I am paying about $300 for the year.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM

684 posts, read 1,188,461 times
Only 100% way is to pull every weed out by hand! Hard work, but that's what kids are for.

Don't forget to aerate too!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:19 PM

10,134 posts, read 7,803,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
Result: Crapgrass 2 , Toto 0
lol

Good to know I'm not the only one have hardly any luck on my own. Every year it's a challenge.

Mohtalim,

You're right about that. I remember pulling weeds myself as a kid. Unfortunately I never had children to carry on the tradition so I do it all myself. Lucky you.

USNRET04,

Thanks for the links.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM

672 posts, read 1,419,687 times
Last year, we planted a new tree, and after constant watering, my weed-filled front lawn transformed into a lush, weed-free sea of green. After I started watering the entire yard, and treating a couple times with some Scott's granules, it really came together. It seems that Bermuda grass is very aggressive when it's watered properly, and I can't wait until it starts growing again so I can get my back yard looking as good.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:40 PM

826 posts, read 1,128,717 times
I use nutrigreen. $45 a treatment 6-7 times a year. Its the only thing that worked for me, DIY wasn't doing it. My grass was thickest and greenest its ever been last year and mother nature did all the watering. I also noticed that last year I didn't have any ant hills either. Not sure if that is byproduct of the thicker grass or something else.

One misconception is that people think the dormant/brown bermuda grass turns green again which not the case. The green stuff is all new growth. I cut the grass super short late feb/early march, my backyard is almost completely green now, front still has quite bit of brown but it doesn't get as much sun. I've been told that this also helps with the weeds because bermuda starts will start fighting off the weeds.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,850,433 times
Also, if you have Poa Annua (the green grass that grows in Bermuda with all the seeds on top), then make sure you use pre-emergent in mid-Setember and again in early November.

A good pre-emergent is Amaze or Dimension.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,671,605 times
I am using just weed Spray and fertilizers. The most important thing is weed Control applications in November / December and early March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area