Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM

348 posts, read 497,368 times

Advertisements

Has anyone signed up for the Verizon Bundle package? I spoke to them today and they are offering me a package for Phone, TV HD-DVR and Internet (7mg) for $114.99/month for a one year contract. The customer service rep. said it will go up $11.00 after one year. The phone service is unlimited calling,called ID, voice mail etc. The TV service would be Direct TV with a NFL Sunday Ticket ( a $275.00 value) for one year free. They kick in a free Net Book as well. I was concerned with the area they covered and they assured me my area off Laurens/Bethel Road has the service. Charter charges us way more/month!! Thinking about switching from Charter!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:34 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuguy2 View Post
Has anyone signed up for the Verizon Bundle package? I spoke to them today and they are offering me a package for Phone, TV HD-DVR and Internet (7mg) for $114.99/month for a one year contract. The customer service rep. said it will go up $11.00 after one year. The phone service is unlimited calling,called ID, voice mail etc. The TV service would be Direct TV with a NFL Sunday Ticket ( a $275.00 value) for one year free. They kick in a free Net Book as well. I was concerned with the area they covered and they assured me my area off Laurens/Bethel Road has the service. Charter charges us way more/month!! Thinking about switching from Charter!!
Ask them when they are installing Fios. Now, that is when the bargain is truly real.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
I am a new DirecTV subscriber; NFL Sunday ticket and all premium movie channels and DVR for $59.99/mo for 5 months is the deal that I got just 2 weeks ago. At the end of 5 months we'll downgrade our service to something just below premium.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:41 PM

156 posts, read 356,482 times
What's the diff between this Verizon and Verizon FiOS? We have FiOS here in Va but are moving there soon. Thx!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:03 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,667,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyk298 View Post
What's the diff between this Verizon and Verizon FiOS? We have FiOS here in Va but are moving there soon. Thx!
FiOS is fiber optic to the building. That's what we have here in FL as well.

From the internet side, it's an entirely different product than DSL (which is what you get from Verizon if you don't get FiOS). FiOS is at least 2 times faster than the fasted DSL line and that's for the downstream speed. The upstream speed is at least 10 times faster than DSL. If all you do is check email, and do some light browsing, then you probably won't notice it, but if you have a lot of equipment with heavy internet usage, then you probably will.

For instance you get about .3 to .4 Mbps upstream with Cable and DSL, and we get 8 Mbps upstream (even though we pay for 15). Downstream we get 25, where DSL is about 10 on the highest package, and cable may be 15 or so depending upon your neighborhood.

From the TV side, FiOS is super hi quality digital data to the house. I can't compare it to satellite, but it's head and shoulders above the cable signal we had before. I know it can push 4 HD TVs from one connection.

Phone is no much different, other than the fact that it's fiber optic, instead of copper lines, but I can't compare since I've had Vonage for years.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
FiOS won't be coming to Simpsonville anytime soon. There are no fiber optic lines installed here yet, and the way the current economy is, it's not feasable for them to start laying lines. No cities in South Carolina have FiOS right now.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
FiOS won't be coming to Simpsonville anytime soon. There are no fiber optic lines installed here yet, and the way the current economy is, it's not feasable for them to start laying lines. No cities in South Carolina have FiOS right now.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't live there, but I am under the impression that AT&T is the primary carrier in the upstate area so FiOS won't be coming into the area at all.

From what I have read Verizon leases equipment from AT&T in the areas that they offer home phone and DSL services.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:33 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
I'm sure others will chime in here but no AT&T is not the primary carrier unless you are talking about landline phone service. AT&T bought Bell South and part of that agreement was to get Uverse into the Upstate. They have begun rolling Uverse out to select communities but it is not all over yet. I still can't get it in Mauldin.

On the other hand, Verizon is the primary landline carrier for a select few in Simpsonville and Woodruff for certain areas and I believe they offer TV and Internet service as well.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I'm sure others will chime in here but no AT&T is not the primary carrier unless you are talking about landline phone service. AT&T bought Bell South and part of that agreement was to get Uverse into the Upstate. They have begun rolling Uverse out to select communities but it is not all over yet. I still can't get it in Mauldin.

On the other hand, Verizon is the primary landline carrier for a select few in Simpsonville and Woodruff for certain areas and I believe they offer TV and Internet service as well.
From what I read, Verizon would have to be the land line provider to get FiOS, since they would own all the lines. If At&T is the primary land line provider, then I would think that Verizon wouldn't have a big enough financial incentive to run all of the fiber.

For TV they are selling Direct TV, that's what they did here before FiOS was available.

U-verse offers me some hope, but I know that it has some limits, like only being able to provide signal for 2 HD TV's (Not that I even have two at this point, but SD is becoming scarce, and will eventually be replaced with HD).

The U-verse internet packages are nowhere near what we have with FiOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area