Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
LOL It can't be your job. If I get it, I will be putting everything in storage, and I'm not sure when I will make it back here.
Can I have your house and car then? PLEASE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Bear in mind the time of day. In the mornings, the TSA lines can tend to back up.

Good point. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Can I have your house and car then? PLEASE?
My landlord might be a bit peeved if I gave her place away!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:02 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
My landlord might be a bit peeved if I gave her place away!
You can blame it on Sonrise.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,858,461 times
Quote:
I'm flying out of GSP to BWI tomorrow morning, early, like 7:30 and am wondering what time they are going to expect me to show up. I am going up for a job interview, just for the day, and so will have no luggage. I would think that an hour before take off would be fine, but maybe not?

The other thing is, a co worker said that in years past it was not unusual for later flights from Charlotte to GSP to be cancelled. Is that true? Anyone know? I am flying US Airways.

TIA
Wanted to comment on the last flight / last connection of the day. I fly weekly (just flew out of GSP yesterday) and my general rule of thumb is to never book the last flight / last connection of the day on any airline, through any hub, period. Go for late afternoon flights so you still have 2 or 3 later flights should something happen.

Late evening flights are cancelled on a regular basis around the country due to numerous factors.........delays of the day snowball, impacting evening flights......working pilots run over their allowed hours due to delays throughout the day........any mechanical problems make a changeout of planes harder as its the end of the flying day and most planes are already at their overnight location.........etc, etc.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 PM

I really had no choice in the matter, and there were quite a few canceled flights today. When I got to the airport, the Charlotte to Baltimore leg had been canceled and I was put on a flight to Philly then on to BWI. The second leg was delayed and I was an hour late for my interview. I let them know what was going on and that I would be late, so they were able to reschedule another meeting and see me later. On the way back, I realized I was flying through Philly not Charlotte and the flight out of there was about an hour and a half late too. <sigh> It was a long day, but I think the interview went well. If it did, I have a great two bedroom townhouse near Cleveland Park I can highly recommend as a rental in a couple of months! :-)

Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Quote:
I really had no choice in the matter, and there were quite a few canceled flights today. When I got to the airport, the Charlotte to Baltimore leg had been canceled and I was put on a flight to Philly then on to BWI. The second leg was delayed and I was an hour late for my interview. I let them know what was going on and that I would be late, so they were able to reschedule another meeting and see me later. On the way back, I realized I was flying through Philly not Charlotte and the flight out of there was about an hour and a half late too. <sigh> It was a long day, but I think the interview went well. If it did, I have a great two bedroom townhouse near Cleveland Park I can highly recommend as a rental in a couple of months! :-)
Would you be leaving us? I believe you said you'd be working "all over the country" or something similar, so would you necessarily need to move?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Yes, actually, if I get it, everything will go in storage and I will be on the road all year long except for two vacation breaks a year. So, I won't be here, but all my stuff will be!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:54 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,392 times
Sorry to hear about the flight! It always happens at the most inconvenient time. I hope you get the job! Keep us posted and if you do you can always keep a check on us to see what's happening and be ready when you return! Good Luck.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Wanted to comment on the last flight / last connection of the day. I fly weekly (just flew out of GSP yesterday) and my general rule of thumb is to never book the last flight / last connection of the day on any airline, through any hub, period. Go for late afternoon flights so you still have 2 or 3 later flights should something happen.

Late evening flights are cancelled on a regular basis around the country due to numerous factors.........delays of the day snowball, impacting evening flights......working pilots run over their allowed hours due to delays throughout the day........any mechanical problems make a changeout of planes harder as its the end of the flying day and most planes are already at their overnight location.........etc, etc.
I like this advice. I also don't like to take the first flight out, because my perception (whether accurate or not) is that people are just arriving for their shifts, are still "waking up" and are more likely to make mistakes. What if a plane has been sitting in the cold and has ice on the wings, but nobody thought to clear it? Are all of the proper checks performed before departing? Was enough fuel put in the tank? Plus, if a plane has already made at least one trip that day then it seems more likely that it is mechanically sound and will be fine for your flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area