Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 01:50 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,700 posts, read 2,532,164 times

Advertisements

Those words are still foreign to me...almost like someone took control of my keyboard and ordered me to hit the enter key. Anyway...I'm finding that the person I need most right now to grieve her loss and navigate all the stuff (paperwork) that comes after is her.

Watching my dad walk his path through this is the hardest by far of everything I'm encountering. How does one go from round-the-clock caregiver, with a schedule filled with feedings and bedding changes and catheter emptying and oxygen compressor maintenance to one with no structure and almost nothing to. I know he'll find his new normal, as will we all, but at least my brother and I have work to occupy our time. Dad's 77, long retired, and has dedicated the last 4 years of his life to caring for Mom.

Mom's pre-needs arrangement covered 10 death certificates. Even the funeral director questioned her need for this many. She has only one insurance policy that I know of. To whom do we send the others? It is exactly this reason that those in a fight for their lives MUST communicate with the surviving family members about their affairs.

Another oddity I encountered: Mom and Dad opted not to be embalmed, a fact we learned AFTER her body left home, unfortunately. When we met with the funeral director, Dad asked him if he could see her one last time. Of course, the director advised against it. I know they were only thinking of the savings at the time, but it's unfortunate Dad didn't get to see her again. My sister-in-law wasn't home when she passed, so she didn't get to say goodbye, either. And why pay for a $3K casket if your decaying remains are going to muck it up the minute they lay you in it?

Just venting...sorry. For some reason, I can't bring myself to journal about it, but it's easy to post about it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 03:12 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,546,283 times
I am so sorry for your loss. I understand how trying a time it is after the death of a loved one. I wish you peace and strength in the coming months.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:48 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Sorry for your loss.

You never really know how many death certificates you will need. Some places require originals and some make a copy and give you the original back.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:10 PM

510 posts, read 716,904 times
We ended up getting (and needing) 8 for my dad. Sorry to hear about your mother. It is a very very hard thing to adjust to but it does eventually get better. I think eventually you can also remember the good moments, before they got ill and not just focus on them being gone.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:29 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Those words are still foreign to me...almost like someone took control of my keyboard and ordered me to hit the enter key. Anyway...I'm finding that the person I need most right now to grieve her loss and navigate all the stuff (paperwork) that comes after is her.

Watching my dad walk his path through this is the hardest by far of everything I'm encountering. How does one go from round-the-clock caregiver, with a schedule filled with feedings and bedding changes and catheter emptying and oxygen compressor maintenance to one with no structure and almost nothing to. I know he'll find his new normal, as will we all, but at least my brother and I have work to occupy our time. Dad's 77, long retired, and has dedicated the last 4 years of his life to caring for Mom.

Mom's pre-needs arrangement covered 10 death certificates. Even the funeral director questioned her need for this many. She has only one insurance policy that I know of. To whom do we send the others? It is exactly this reason that those in a fight for their lives MUST communicate with the surviving family members about their affairs.

Another oddity I encountered: Mom and Dad opted not to be embalmed, a fact we learned AFTER her body left home, unfortunately. When we met with the funeral director, Dad asked him if he could see her one last time. Of course, the director advised against it. I know they were only thinking of the savings at the time, but it's unfortunate Dad didn't get to see her again. My sister-in-law wasn't home when she passed, so she didn't get to say goodbye, either. And why pay for a $3K casket if your decaying remains are going to muck it up the minute they lay you in it?

Just venting...sorry. For some reason, I can't bring myself to journal about it, but it's easy to post about it here.
The extra death certificates will be useful should any unexpected issues comes up dealing with any aspect of your mother personal business, or things you were not aware of pertaining to her. My mother had a few insurance policies that I was not aware of and I had to send them an original copy of the DC. My mother was a cosigner on a home for my sister and I had to send a copy to them also.
So sorry for your lost, I know what you are going through. Trust your mother on this one, things may come up months or even a year down the road where you may need those extra certificates. Best of luck to you and your father.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
So sorry for your loss, even when you're expecting it still shakes you to your core.

As others have said you may need those extra certificates. I ended up having to bring one into the electric company of all places.

Again, sorry for the loss of your mom, and keep an eye on dad.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:24 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
your parents decision to not be embalmed meant that the body would not be preserved, & it would not be pleasant to view. If you want your father to be viewed you will have to circumvent his wishes.

The beauty is that their spirit has already risen & it is only their shell we see. Please embrace that knowledge.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:49 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times
Very sorry for your loss. You may or may not need 10, but it is best to take them, because they are much more expensive and take time to get if you should need one later. I had to either send a copy or original to every bank or financial institution. Had to go through probate, so needed one for that (you may not need this, depending on state laws, etc.) I also had to submit one when I sold the house, since my husband's name was still on the deed. He also had long term care insurance - had to send them one. (I don't remember which required originals and which accepted copies.) How many you need will depend on lots of things, but better to have a few extras than to run short.

I was with my husband through the process of dying. And when he had finally gone, I had no desire to stay with his body. My immediate thought was "He's not here." And after touching his cold hands, I wanted no more contact. Everyone is different, I suppose. Condolences to you and your family.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:47 AM

13,281 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Sorry for your loss at least you still have your father with you.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:05 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post

The reason for the death certificates are to respond to attempts at collection (you are not required to personally pay for her medical bills although her estate might) and notifications to banks, property tax departments, and so on.

I urge you to include her husband in the process of winding up affairs as a method of closure and caring. After that, he will need structure and regular and varied contact.

Prepping the body is something that has been mostly lost in our culture. I washed and prepped my wife with the assistance of a daughter and we delayed contacting hospice and the funeral home to allow some time before she was taken. The repose of the body before rigor lasts for a while.

Keep all cards and envelopes (with return addresses) for a response. Both you and your father can write letters to her in notebooks. You know you have things to say, things you want to remember, and writing them down does help.

Much peace to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning