Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Communal living...people interested in such...

Group Created by Time and Space

For people who see the benefit of communal living...(not communism, but communal living)

In a day and age when so many seem strapped for resorces, accept the wealthy, I'd like to form a group where discusions on communal living take place, the pro's and con's...

View All Members Showing 7 of 7 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 9 of 9
  1. twinlesstwin81
    12-27-2012 12:46 AM - permalink
    twinlesstwin81
    I would like to Join this commune group were do i need to go?
  2. Van Tripper
    12-11-2012 10:23 PM - permalink
    Van Tripper
    Just came by to check ya'll out. The Farm is a commune that has been going in Tn. since the 70s, still going strong. Group of people moved from Cal. What area are you talking about doing this in, some folks call it a intentional community, to avoid commune, me, just say get over it. I have always seen the sense in the idea, just never found people I could trust to do their share. Currently working full time but living in my van to save up money. Will be watching, hope the best for ya'll.
  3. Time and Space
    11-08-2011 03:57 PM - permalink
    Time and Space
    I don't know how these groups are suppose to work, or if I'm at liberty to post whenever I feel like it...but I have something to say...

I just don't understand how we've all been brainwashed to suffer as induvisuals, instead of succeeding as a group...I just don't get it....

What are people waiting for?
    When will it get better?

I single income or unemployment will do what for you?

I just don't get it...

What castle, or land, or ranch, will you ever aquire on your own?

I just don't get it...

Why not try something different?
    Combined, we could by land, a lodge, give each other support....

Induvisually...most, many, are destined for hardship and low wage, and living in a cramped apt...and not having anything left over after pay check...

Wake up folks...please wake up...
  4. Time and Space
    11-06-2011 07:48 AM - permalink
    Time and Space
    Show me where trading a typewriter for a microwave is 'illegal'...people do that all the the time...and write it in adds...I see it all the time...

example: Will trade RV for old fishing boat' ect ect...

Bartering is kind of a side issue or concept...

Society would have to totally break down for that to come into place again...so that doesn't really apply here...

Communal living can only work if the people there already have good, decent, work ethic...people who have a skill, a trade. And people who want a purpose in life, people who see the value in helping others, who see the whole picture, benefit of co-optive living.

One pretty much has to already have been in the mindset to be apart of such a place...or I doubt it would work for them...

And you have to value 'community' and all the dynamics that come with it.

But if ones a millionare, and could afford to by their own ranch, and buy their own tranquility...than communes would not much appeal to them...
  5. KJD17011
    11-06-2011 12:02 AM - permalink
    KJD17011
    I think bartering is a good idea, too. However, I think that is illegal.
  6. Time and Space
    11-05-2011 10:53 PM - permalink
    Time and Space
    Hello KJD17011

i need to check back here more often...

But check it out...(clears throat)....

We can all either continue to struggle induvisually...or pool resorces and carve a better more meaningful meaning out of life...

On another forum tonight...I did some math...at current...a walmart employee earing 15,000 a year...would have to save up for 321 years...just to buy a Bell 429 Helicopter....

http://www.decartsnews.com/wp-conten...9-For-Sale.jpg

where as there are many in the banking and paper trading industries who routinley recieve 4.5 million a quarter in just bonus money...that right there puts them 321 years ahead of a common wage earner...

How can most of us compete with that?
    We can't even live long enough to earn that...but yet we work and toil probably longer and harder than your average paper manipulator...

We can all continue to crawel along induvisually buying into this 'dream' idea...this Normal Rockwell 1940's vision of America...or we can carve out a better meaning of life for ourselves...one thats not just based on wage earning...

As far as 'crazy' people...background checks would be required for all...

Financial matters would matter...just criminal...
    Not that that would nessicarily rule anyone out...weed, misdimeaners, Jay walking...parking tickets...no big deal...

But felons, with violent pasts...no...they would not be allowed into the community...

trust would be key...everyone would have to trust everyone...without trust...it would be just like regular society...trust is key...motive is key also...

I myself am just getting tired of working the same mundane jobs...meaningless tasks...knowing it will take 321 years just to save 4.5 million...and that's if you save every penny...

it's a different world now...strategies for happiness must change...ever wonder why there's so many depressed adults...like 1-6 are on depressent medication, or something like that...

People are not happy with their mundane lives...pretending that if they just work 'hard' enough they'll get that big house on the hill...

No they won't...and if they do, they'll be a slave to the bank for 20 more years...

Now realize...I'm talking common wage earners...not salaried executives who earn well about 60,000 a year...

For most of us, our bodies will wear out, before we ever achieve our dreams...
    Keeping us divided and seperated only serves a few at the top....

But by pooling...we can become something...and have a voice...
    Right now the government already pools our money and resorces for it's own benifit...

Who do you think pays every single elected officials salary?

They pool our resorces as citizens...but we don't really reap the rewards of that...
  7. KJD17011
    11-03-2011 06:56 PM - permalink
    KJD17011
    Being that it is no longer 1960, that time when people were more likely to be able to live in harmony in one area, I wonder if people can do that in these times. People are so different from each other. There are more pervert and drunks today. How do you really know you can trust the people you are going to live with? There are different kinds of communes today. Trust is a big issue.
  8. Time and Space
    10-22-2011 11:35 AM - permalink
    Time and Space
    Hi SifuPhil...

I'm going to be on the radio soon, within two weeks....
    And I want the first show to be about end time economic times, and the advantages of living in a commune, or group living or all the other names it's known by...

I want you to be apart of my first show...you and a few others...
    when I get the scheduale down..I'll be leaving you contact info....

It will kind of be like the Art Bell show....with theme music and all...

I don't know if your a author or not, or have a book...or website...but if you have anything to promote, feel free to do it while on....

More info soon...thanks...
  9. Time and Space
    10-16-2011 12:00 AM - permalink
    Time and Space
    Hi, I know the word 'commune' is often associated with Jim Jones, and other wierd odd cultish phenominas of the 60's and 70's.

But in this day and age, where only the rich seem to collectively have enough to get by, I wonder how many have thought of communal living again?
    Where people, 20-100, pool resorces, by land and create their own etopia of sorts...

I mean it just seems near impossible for an induvisual earning 7-10 an hour to make it anymore...
    And 20 incomes seem a lot better than one....

$7.00 X 20 = $140

$140 X 8 hrs = $1120 a day

$1120 X 20 = $22400 a month vs $1120 (induvisual pay check)...

Again, I realize communes have negitave connitations in some peoples minds, but if done right, I wonder if it could work.

Land, dwellings, people bringing various skills...could it work?