Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Retired Singles

Group Created by ConeyIsBabe

Now that you have retired from work, either because of years/age eligibility or health issues, what do you plan on doing the rest of your life? It's easier when you have a built-in support system as a married couple, but starting a new life as a single person is more daunting. Do you plan on relocation? Where? How do you make new friends? Let's share ideas. Are you counting the days to retirement? Wannabees are welcome to join this social group and share your concerns. Please post something to keep our group on the top of the list. Please post your favorite photos !

View All Members Showing 10 of 116 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 9 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 211 to 220 of 240
  1. ConeyIsBabe
    09-13-2008 08:24 PM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    I don't got no smilies.......... WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !
  2. East Coast Wanderer
    09-13-2008 08:01 PM - permalink
    East Coast Wanderer
    ConeyIsBabe, After clicking on Go Advance, there should be "smilies" on the right of the text box.
  3. ConeyIsBabe
    09-13-2008 07:30 PM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    Welcome Tesaje and Knoxgarden !

MN2CO............. HELP ! I click on Go Advanced..... and - no smilies ! Someone..... HELP me find the smilies !
  4. knoxgarden
    09-13-2008 12:11 PM - permalink
    knoxgarden
    SeeBee, Knoxville is just the right place. It's got natural beauty and the nicest people I've ever lived around. You can go weeks here without running into anyone with an attitude problem. Strangers smile and say hello, they don't hesitate to help.
    We're in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains and the scenery is breathtaking. Lots of rivers, lakes, streams. Very mild climate. Four real seasons but nothing drastic. No hurricanes, no earthquakes, no wildfires. After growing up in Los Angeles and living in Washington, D.C. I appreciate that. No ice.
    The University of Tennessee keeps the population young and lively and the cost of living down. I've got city services but it's a small city with few crowds and short rush hours. Lots of Starbucks, Borders but also independent book stores and tons of great restaurants. People visit here, fall in love with it, retire from their first job and pursue their dream of opening a store or a restaurant or business or farm making cheese, etc. The farmers markets are incredible.
    Great medical services. UT has a teaching hospital for both people and animals. I've taken a lot of classes at UT and learned new crafts or just interesting subjects.
    It's just a real nice community and a low cost of living. I may live along but I don't feel alone.
  5. Tesaje
    09-12-2008 04:54 PM - permalink
    Tesaje
    Hi everybody. I'm not yet retired - 15 1/2 more months to go - but it is almost all I think about anymore. I've been single for a long time and given my temperament, I expect I will remain so. I will have my 54th birthday next week. Last year, it was 53 and debt free (paid off my mortgage). This year it will be 54 and one more. Next year it will be 55 and bye bye! I keep checking my budgets and calculations and it looks like it will work for me, so I see no reason to stay. I can hardly wait until every day is a Saturday.

I garden a lot too - 1.6 acres in the mid-Atlantic. I have 3 cats now. 1 elderly, 1 middle aged, and the extra cat who decided he would live here too. My dog died last spring and I'm trying hard not to get another one until after I retire and relocate.

I grew up in the west and I miss real mountains so I want to move back west after I finish up remodeling my house and sell it. Hopefully by then, the market will be doing better.
  6. Keeper
    09-12-2008 06:29 AM - permalink
    Keeper
    Hello everyone! I took early retirement in 04 after my co. offered all of us olde timers a pkg to leave. My DH passed away in 03.
    I lived in FL for 30 years. My DD moved to N. AL in 05 and kept telling me how I needed to move to the small town she lived in because it was so safe. I sold my house and bought a really nice older home with the proceeds which weren't that much but houses are very reasonable here. I met another CD person who moved up here from LI.
    I have dogs and cats that keep me company. I do some volunteer work and have a few friends here. I have dated a few men here but just haven't met 'the one'.
  7. Umbria
    09-11-2008 08:50 PM - permalink
    Umbria
    OH, and Coney - if your 70, I'm 100 - you look very young!!
  8. Umbria
    09-11-2008 08:49 PM - permalink
    Umbria
    Coney - When posting go to "Go Advanced" and you get all the smileys you want

Re furniture - I like really good stuff - now I bought it a long-g-g time ago but it's excellent quality and I won't sell it for a dime. It's coming with me. I also have a few antiques. I've already given tons of stuff away. I had a garage sale once - advised my friends to just shoot me if I ever discussed it again, so - if I can't give it away, I'm bringing it with. I will post pics when I get a chance - fall really caught me by surprise - lots to do before old man winter shows up.
  9. ConeyIsBabe
    09-11-2008 05:49 PM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    WELCOME to the group, Keeper ! Please post something, introduce yourself, post a pic!

MN2CO..... yes, it is expensive to move anywhere. When I relocated from Miami Florida to the west coast (with a friend)..... I left behind my house, furniture and all possessions and rented a house in Napa CA for one year. Most possessions are easy and fun to replace from yard sales, thrift shops, etc. That's how the Napa house was furnished. Then rented a house in Grants Pass OR for 2 years before I returned to Miami to sell & then purchased my Oregon home. By renting, you get a feeling for the location & community without risking buying in a location you don't like. HAha..... the joke's on me..... cuz after 3 years in my Oregon Dream Home, I'm considering relocating to a more warmer climate. I still love the area... low stress, very friendly people, lots of retirees, low cost of living (from my perspective) - it's only the cold bleak winters that get me down. Besides, the issue is now MOOT - nothing is selling unless it's a steal and mine won't be.

P.S. you guys who are posting those smilies.............. where are they coming from ??
  10. Umbria
    09-11-2008 12:17 PM - permalink
    Umbria
    I spend too much time - maybe 3 hrs also - spread out. I find the internet incredibly valuable in getting info about different places. How else would you get so many different opinions on so many different topics?? I've been doing the "where oh where to retire......." for about 6 years. That's right - 6. It's a hugh financial commitment and I do not want to move and then move again. I have a house full of furniture that must go with me. With the housng market as it is, one can't afford to buy a house, decide you don't like the locale and then go through the selling, and moving again - at least I can't. It's just not the way I want to spend my $$. So many buddies have also moved that it is a good way to keepin touch.