Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

home updates for homeowners

Group Created by ayw75

this group is for those who may have questions or who would just like to share their experience with other about their home update/remodeling experience. So, please feel free to share

View All Members Showing 10 of 18 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 7 of 7
  1. 04-12-2011 08:31 PM - permalink
    daturn
    Hi,
    We are buying a house, and have autoimmune issues and small children. We want to reduce chemical exposure as much as possible. We would like to put in some type of wood or wood-like flooring that will stand up to small kids and traffic. I've been researching low voc and low formaldehyde flooring, but the ratings systems are all different. I don't know what to trust. Does anyone know a source I can really trust on finding the least off-gassing floor that is not tile?
    Thank you!
  2. CharlotteRemodelingGuy
    04-09-2011 06:50 PM - permalink
    CharlotteRemodelingGuy
    Yes, if your home was built before 1980 then you should be careful about asbestos. Asbestos IS NOT dangerous unless tampered with to cause dust.

The tests are about $25 and take a couple weeks. If you do have asbestos you are planning on tampering with doing it right will cost a very noticeable amount more because of the regulations imposed.

My understanding is (I am a contractor, but I AM NOT certified to deal with asbestos) homeowners ARE NOT REQUIRED to use the process if doing DIY projects. Only contractors. Hope this helped!

Good luck all!
  3. Miss Debbie
    03-01-2010 02:03 PM - permalink
    Miss Debbie
    Just an FYI! Recently in our line of business we've discovered asbestos in popcorn ceilings. This is new for us. So...if you're a DIY person get an inexpensive tester at your local home improvement store,test it first.
  4. lizas979
    02-10-2010 03:29 PM - permalink
    lizas979
    Hi, I have a question, does anyone know my rights as a homeowner, today I came home and my neighbor was cutting my tree down. This is in my yard. He had a chain saw in his hands and I think there's something a little wrong with him. I asked him why and he just said it was crap. I asked him to stop but aside from 2 big branches its gone. Aside from the ins nightmare if he had hurt himself, what are the other problems I could have with this.This is my first house and I don't always know what I am doing. Please help
  5. lizas979
    02-10-2010 03:19 PM - permalink
    lizas979
    Hi, New to group. My mom had central put in in her So Cal house the house is approx 22-2300 sq ft and a local man helped her. He charged her approx 8000. She is very happy and it works well
  6. Mike Nap
    01-29-2010 04:22 PM - permalink
    Mike Nap
    Hello , i dont have direct experience since my house was purchased with central air already installed... i would suggest getting 3 to 4 estimates from people that live around you .. Check with you friends and family 1st to see if they can refer you to someone that is in the biz that they trust..... Hope this helps .. Mike
  7. ayw75
    01-29-2010 12:17 PM - permalink
    ayw75
    I recently purchased a home and I have a floor furnace and air condition window units, and I'm am in the process of switching over to a central heat and air unit, what is the going price for this type of update. PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to be scammed or over charged!