Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times

Advertisements

Just wondering the general consensus on putting a scope on a 10/22. If you do use a scope which one would you recommend?

Thanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Nothing over 4X.One problem is that most scopes made for .22 ranges are not focused for that close unless 3/4 inch tube last I checked. I use a leupold 1.5-5X I have had for years which has 1 inch tube. Never found any 3/4 tube satisfactory really.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:22 AM

338 posts, read 384,662 times
I have this Bushnell nickel 3x9x40 on my stainless with deluxe walnut stock.

https://www.scopesnmore.com/bushnell...x40-mx-sl.aspx

I traded the birch stock and some SKS stripper clips even up for the walnut deluxe stock that a guy was putting a folding stock on. What a deal.......

I also wanted a nickel scope so it didn't look mismatched and dorky.

I have a real leather 1" military sling and Uncle Mike's quick detach sling swivels on it as well.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Just wondering the general consensus on putting a scope on a 10/22. If you do use a scope which one would you recommend?

Thanks.....
Spend the money on high quality mounts while you are at it. Those $9.99 POS ones at Wal-Mart aren't worth a dink!

Good ones will be $30+

Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
I don't like scopes on rim fires much. The ranges they are effective to doesn't rate them IMHO. For range use and cutting tiny groups they are great though. So there is merit in them for some uses. Mine vet used for pest control mostly, so I just use iron. Far easier to line up fast and keep reference poi ts on the target for moving shots.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I don't like scopes on rim fires much. The ranges they are effective to doesn't rate them IMHO. For range use and cutting tiny groups they are great though. So there is merit in them for some uses. Mine vet used for pest control mostly, so I just use iron. Far easier to line up fast and keep reference poi ts on the target for moving shots.
Gophers and chipmunks can be tricky without a scope. That is if you like head shots and single round instant kills. Gophers are so fast, I think they actually can duck a .22LR if it isn't one at or around 1,600 fps.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:25 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
I have a 3x9x40 which makes it good for around 100 yards allowing for wind and a drop of approx 3 inches. Rangefinder scopes make it much easier for distance shooting. There are many inexpensive ones on the market that work well, mine is from a hunting rifle I got rid of, so it cost as much as the rifle would.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:05 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
If allowed in your State, instead of a scope install a red dot sight with 2x (power). I am referring not necessarily about a brand, but to an electronic sight such as the Red Dot, including one with an open display (not a tube). That's all you will ever need.

A few years ago Burris made a 4x compact riflescope that was just about perfect for the Ruger 10-22. Most scopes out there are just too bulky, and make this rifle look off balance.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-10-2014 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 10:34 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
There are many reasons to scope a 22. Some people live to be more than 40 and their eyesight starts to wan a bit. Others like to hunt tiny game like gophers. There is no excuse for gut shooting or wounding any animal because you either couldn't see it well enough or the distance for the shot was greater than the iron sights were good for.

A 1.5x6 makes for a good short to medium distance scope. As for the focus at shorter distances, parallax is the bigger consideration and for that just get a quality scope that features parallax adjustment. That way you can use the scope effectively down to 10 yards/meters if you like.

Stay away from cheap scopes or those made for 22s, they are mostly junk. If you have an accurate rifle, regardless of how much it cost, inexpensive or many thousands, get a high quality scope. Often, a good scope will cost more than the rifle but you're only buying it once and using it often.

If you like to shoot the greater distances for the 22, say out to 150 yards, a 4-10 or 4-12 works too. A 12 power scope isn't too much for the 22 and if the image shakes are too much, then working on your hold might help because at 75-100 yards you should be able to get a very steady image. The greater the distance with the 22 the more accurate you need to be and while that is true of any rifle, more so with the 22 since it is at the low end of the mistake margin.

The other thing a good scope on a 22 does it extend your range. While you can shoot very accurately with iron sights, sorry, when it gets past 50 yards a scope beats iron sights for precision shooting.

An adjustable scope lets you go down in magnification to just 1.5x and that is like putting on some reader glasses except you can use it for any range you want. Then when you need more magnification, zoom it up.

Another reason for a good scope is target identification. While some people will shoot anything out in the field, really knowing is valid, guessing is not even if they are pests. Sure, you can get closer but there is a lot of enjoyment from knowing the ballistics of the 22 and making good accurate shots at the extreme range of the 22 makes a good scope worth every penny.

There are a multitude of quick detachable scope mounts and the good ones return to zero every time. Some of the H&K claw QD mounts are wonderful and very rugged and return to zero. You can get (gotta look around) the adapter plates that are screw down onto the receiver. With a good scope, if you have multiple rifles, one scope can work for all of them, the key again is quality.

It all comes down to what you want to do, target shoot, plink or hunt. I must say though, plinking at extreme distances with a 22 is a blast. Sure a flat shooting 20 or something like that can reach out to hundreds of yards, big deal. Now do it with a 22 rimfire and skill becomes far more important.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
There are many reasons to scope a 22. Some people live to be more than 40 and their eyesight starts to wan a bit. Others like to hunt tiny game like gophers. There is no excuse for gut shooting or wounding any animal because you either couldn't see it well enough or the distance for the shot was greater than the iron sights were good for.

A 1.5x6 makes for a good short to medium distance scope. As for the focus at shorter distances, parallax is the bigger consideration and for that just get a quality scope that features parallax adjustment. That way you can use the scope effectively down to 10 yards/meters if you like.

Stay away from cheap scopes or those made for 22s, they are mostly junk. If you have an accurate rifle, regardless of how much it cost, inexpensive or many thousands, get a high quality scope. Often, a good scope will cost more than the rifle but you're only buying it once and using it often.

If you like to shoot the greater distances for the 22, say out to 150 yards, a 4-10 or 4-12 works too. A 12 power scope isn't too much for the 22 and if the image shakes are too much, then working on your hold might help because at 75-100 yards you should be able to get a very steady image. The greater the distance with the 22 the more accurate you need to be and while that is true of any rifle, more so with the 22 since it is at the low end of the mistake margin.

The other thing a good scope on a 22 does it extend your range. While you can shoot very accurately with iron sights, sorry, when it gets past 50 yards a scope beats iron sights for precision shooting.

An adjustable scope lets you go down in magnification to just 1.5x and that is like putting on some reader glasses except you can use it for any range you want. Then when you need more magnification, zoom it up.

Another reason for a good scope is target identification. While some people will shoot anything out in the field, really knowing is valid, guessing is not even if they are pests. Sure, you can get closer but there is a lot of enjoyment from knowing the ballistics of the 22 and making good accurate shots at the extreme range of the 22 makes a good scope worth every penny.

There are a multitude of quick detachable scope mounts and the good ones return to zero every time. Some of the H&K claw QD mounts are wonderful and very rugged and return to zero. You can get (gotta look around) the adapter plates that are screw down onto the receiver. With a good scope, if you have multiple rifles, one scope can work for all of them, the key again is quality.

It all comes down to what you want to do, target shoot, plink or hunt. I must say though, plinking at extreme distances with a 22 is a blast. Sure a flat shooting 20 or something like that can reach out to hundreds of yards, big deal. Now do it with a 22 rimfire and skill becomes far more important.
I agree...after a few of these little stinkers put about 100 holes in your lawn, you don't want to take any chances missing. You're shooting at a head that is smaller than a U.S. .25 cent quarter. They are lightning quick and can duck all but the most well placed shots from a .22 LR rifle. Pick 'em off and let the barn cats have their way with them. Most of all TAKE BACK YOUR OWN YARD!!

gopher pics - Bing Images
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting