Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:27 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,891,640 times

Advertisements

Most of the time I always use paper targets when practicing, but I think I'm going to start using them less. I'm nowhere near as good a shooter as I'd like to be and paper targets show you how inaccurate you really are right down to the centimeter. I am always glad to get an opportunity to have a little fun and do some target shooting but I always come away a little discouraged because I'm not as good as I'd like to be. This was the case today when I finished up my paper shooting and decided to use some reactive targets. It was like I couldn't miss! I shook up a couple full off brand soda cans up and made them pop open. I set a couple clay pigeons out and blew them to smitherenes, and I ended the session on a high note. Not to mention imo, there is no better confidence booster than seeing your targets explode. So, depending on just what it is you are practicing for, being able to cut bullet holes in the middle of a shoot-n-c target isn't the most important thing in the world.

How does your experiences differ from paper targets to other targets?

I've seen threads on ideas for reactive targets on other forums, but never on this one, so do any of you have ideas for reactive targets? Tennis balls and soda cans are all I've got so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,041,616 times
We shoot paper, Shoot-N-C, steel plates, gallon milk jugs, ballons, clay trap/skeet, tennis balls and sometimes pop cans.

Milk jugs can be filled with water and drug along the ground with a rope tied to the handle. The person pulling the rope stands BEHIND the shooter. Ballons can be tied to RC cars and driven around in front of your backstop. Both are a good cheap way to practice hitting moving targets.

I like steel too...there's no fudge factor in it...either you hit it and ring the bell or you don't. Practice strong hand, weak hand shooting with them too. Can you hit one using only your left hand if you are a right handed person? Better yet, can you hit a 1 1/2"? Three, four and five inch is not easy if you aren't up on your technique and game. I've seen newbs unload a whole mag and not hit a damn thing. lol

These are some of ours.... 1 1/2", 3", 4". Just pulled these out to repaint them.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 PM

Here ya go Whippersnapper..... It isn't easy....better be on your game day today. lol

Edward Wilks - Birthday Shooting Party - RC Car & Balloon (or) Bad-guy Charging with Knife - YouTube

Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
Depends on what you shoot, but shoot steel. I don't know what you are shooting but you can get a steel dueling tree and other steel targets that pop back up. Steel gives a bit more feedback when you hit it. Keep a can of white paint around and just slap a fresh coat of paint on occasionally. You just need to watch as some steel targets only handle certain types of rounds, some for pistol, some for rifle. I'd also wear good shooting glasses to protect your eyes and for pistol stand at least 7 meters back(sometimes even then you'll get some kickback).

The other thing I use sometimes for fun is the orange round disk clays used for trap/skeet that are biodegradable. Crossman also makes some for airguns that are a lot smaller and harder to hit.

I'd have a look at Hickok45's range. This is what I am working to make my range look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vme90gayUzc

Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
We shoot paper, Shoot-N-C, steel plates, gallon milk jugs, ballons, clay trap/skeet, tennis balls and sometimes pop cans.

Milk jugs can be filled with water and drug along the ground with a rope tied to the handle. The person pulling the rope stands BEHIND the shooter. Ballons can be tied to RC cars and driven around in front of your backstop. Both are a good cheap way to practice hitting moving targets.

I like steel too...there's no fudge factor in it...either you hit it and ring the bell or you don't. Practice strong hand, weak hand shooting with them too. Can you hit one using only your left hand if you are a right handed person? Better yet, can you hit a 1 1/2"? Three, four and five inch is not easy if you aren't up on your technique and game. I've seen newbs unload a whole mag and not hit a damn thing. lol

These are some of ours.... 1 1/2", 3", 4". Just pulled these out to repaint them.

I have one of those rigs like you have in the picture there. It's only recommended for .22 and bb guns though. Can you buy ones rated for higher calibers?

And I'll have to watch your video when I have access to a better internet connection, thanks for posting it.

I have some steel that I wanted to cut up with torches and make different sized targets, but I haven't got around to doing it yet.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I have one of those rigs like you have in the picture there. It's only recommended for .22 and bb guns though. Can you buy ones rated for higher calibers?

And I'll have to watch your video when I have access to a better internet connection, thanks for posting it.

I have some steel that I wanted to cut up with torches and make different sized targets, but I haven't got around to doing it yet.
You don't have one of these....they are 1/2" thick.

.44 Mag, .500 S&W?

No problem.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Depends on what you shoot, but shoot steel. I don't know what you are shooting but you can get a steel dueling tree and other steel targets that pop back up. Steel gives a bit more feedback when you hit it. Keep a can of white paint around and just slap a fresh coat of paint on occasionally. You just need to watch as some steel targets only handle certain types of rounds, some for pistol, some for rifle. I'd also wear good shooting glasses to protect your eyes and for pistol stand at least 7 meters back(sometimes even then you'll get some kickback).

The other thing I use sometimes for fun is the orange round disk clays used for trap/skeet that are biodegradable. Crossman also makes some for airguns that are a lot smaller and harder to hit.

I'd have a look at Hickok45's range. This is what I am working to make my range look like.

We paint the flats white and dot with bright orange. They are easier to see when you step out 40+ yards.

The one that's all fubar.....that's .45 ACP and .40 S&W damage.....no deep nicks...just needs repainted.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,890 times
If you want feedback... I have one suggestion...

Tannerite...

Elmo Loves Tannerite! - YouTube

Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

Tannerite...

I've seen that stuff before. It's like a old school M80 or cherry bomb going off.....maybe even 1/4 stick of dynamite. It's a two part mix. It's safe in it's unmixed form. Once it's mixed....keep it away from small kids and pyromaniacs.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
You don't have one of these....they are 1/2" thick.

.44 Mag, .500 S&W?

No problem.
Good to know.... thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

I watch a lot of that guys vids and I love his range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

Tannerite...

Good LORD!!!! Poor Elmo lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting