Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:24 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Ever see "Killing Time" (1998)? In it, Italian Hit Lady Maria is brought to England to do a job. Her employer provides her with her guns.

Okay, I would imagine that in that kind of arrangement, data could be transmitted ahead of time to make sure the guns are sighted as they should be, before delivery. If one was such a professional, however, would they really trust someone to ensure their tools before they used them themselves? But going around shooting your guns in your hotel room is probably not the best notion......the movie not withstanding.

Now, MIND YOU, I am not thinking of becoming a hit lady........I'm just wondering if there is a way to sight one's guns without using a range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 10:48 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
About the only option I know of is to use a boresighter. It either inserts into the muzzle or chamber and projects a light beam perfectly parallel (theoretically) with the bore. Turn it on and align the sights so you are aiming at the dot on the wall. High-end commercial ones (insert in muzzle) with good firearms will get you to within a few MOA, more than good enough for close-in pistol work. Leave the $20 models that look like fake cartridges in the store; they will probably get you on paper when sighting in a scope, but that's it. Theoretically a high-tech military grade boresighter designed specifically for a certain gun could be perfectly aligned.

That said, I can only assume that a self-sufficient professional hit-lady would never trust her life with firearms provided by someone who hired her to do a job. A common conspiracy theme in fictional high-profile murder-for-hire is to eliminate the hitter as soon as possible after the hittee dies to get rid of witnesses.

Edit to add:
I just realized that I have quoted and replied to three of your posts on two different forums. Just coincidence; I promise I'm not stalking you.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 06-24-2015 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 10:51 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Yup, laser bore sighter.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:49 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ever see "Killing Time" (1998)? In it, Italian Hit Lady Maria is brought to England to do a job. Her employer provides her with her guns.

Okay, I would imagine that in that kind of arrangement, data could be transmitted ahead of time to make sure the guns are sighted as they should be, before delivery. If one was such a professional, however, would they really trust someone to ensure their tools before they used them themselves? But going around shooting your guns in your hotel room is probably not the best notion......the movie not withstanding.

Now, MIND YOU, I am not thinking of becoming a hit lady........I'm just wondering if there is a way to sight one's guns without using a range.

Short answer? You can get close, and for a pistol the difference may or may not be huge (I have always been able to use factory sighted pistols just fine, but Glock likes the target behind the dot, while some other brands like the target to be cut in half by the top of the sight.).

As far as rifles? Maybe for CQB, but for anything beyond 5 yards, I'd consider a carbine or rifle worthless if it wasn't live-fire zeroed. I mean, sure, maybe it will be close using a mechanical or laser bore-sighter zero, but...maybe it won't be.

Consider most of my shooting is done with suppressed carbines/SBR's. A suppressor can shift POI for several MOA. It's anyone's guess and until you know, it's just a guess. That, and various loads shoot to various POI. For example, I fired these two targets at 50 yards with an M4 zeroed with another round. Both rounds were 55gr FMJ-BT projectiles, one was .223 and one was 5.56 pressure. The ammo I zeroed with was hitting dead center. I aimed dead center for both of these groups, as well. True 1" grid. That is just the variation between ammo of the same projectile weight and design at 50 yards! Much less your mechanical/laser "zero" and what happens in the real world...

(The second group is slightly larger because I came off the gun each time between shots to fiddle with the sight mount (remove/replace, testing POI shift from doing so. Scalarworks T1/2 mount, in case you're wondering. I attribute the larger group to me breaking cheek weld 10 times to fire the group, not the mount having appreciable POI shift when removed/replaced. Center of the groups appears about the same).

Old 06-24-2015, 01:53 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Bore-sighting is just a means to ensure that the first round you fire when sighting in will hit the target. Bore-sighting is not a substitute for sighting in by actually firing some rounds because it doesn't allow for trajectory (parabolic curved path of projectile caused by gravity).

Old 06-24-2015, 05:05 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
More info on bore sighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuh_O9dhnHY

Old 06-24-2015, 07:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
you can get pretty close; at least on the target with sight bore sighting on with a bolt action. Even with a lazer unless you know the setting point with ammo its only gets you on paper and will change with differences in ammo. If you shoot in then use lazer to at fixed distance then you can get very close as long a gun itself doesn't change such a wood stock shift.With same ammo and best with same lot number.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:50 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
.........That said, I can only assume that a self-sufficient professional hit-lady would never trust her life with firearms provided by someone who hired her to do a job. A common conspiracy theme in fictional high-profile murder-for-hire is to eliminate the hitter as soon as possible after the hittee dies to get rid of witnesses.
Ahh, I see you have seen the movie!

Actually, the theme of the flick takes a slight twist, but it does have that concept......as did "Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country", "Fear is the Key", Starsky & Hutch "The Set Up", "The Day of the Dolphin", etc, etc, etc.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:33 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
We aren't talking about sub-MOA long range accuracy here... we're talking about short-range pistol work. A muzzle-style bore sighter that will get a bolt-action rifle on paper at 100-yds will get a handgun well within minute-of-bad-guy (or minute-of-assassin-target) across the room. That was the goal.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:22 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
We aren't talking about sub-MOA long range accuracy here... we're talking about short-range pistol work. A muzzle-style bore sighter that will get a bolt-action rifle on paper at 100-yds will get a handgun well within minute-of-bad-guy (or minute-of-assassin-target) across the room. That was the goal.

OK.

I was thinking about the time I tried to explain to a co-worker why bore-sighting his bolt-action rifle was just the start of the sighting-in process. Trajectory was a concept he just couldn't seem to grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting