Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 12:56 PM

448 posts, read 366,364 times

Advertisements

Just got back from the range. Another 80% fished due to the cheap uppers PSA is selling and it functioned fine. No FTF or FTE. Had one fail but it was a bad primer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 07:39 AM

Forgot to show a pick of the build

Old 06-06-2017, 12:42 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
Just got back from the range. Another 80% fished due to the cheap uppers PSA is selling and it functioned fine. No FTF or FTE. Had one fail but it was a bad primer.
He isn't exactly wrong. Depends on who you source lowers through...

I ordered one before and sent it back due to the reciever extension not being centered and not only be off at an angle, but super thin to a point where if I threaded the buffer tube in it surely would have cracked... took 3 to get one good one... 35.99 for an 80% I wasn't expecting an xrayed shot peened bomb proof forged lower nitrided and cerakoted... but at least have the extension hole square and not thin... I bet it probably was made of poor quality materials and cast at that...

He isn't exactly 100% wrong... how many people made mistakes when drilling? Then the next question how many uppers fit tight to the lowers without rattling around like Michael J Fox with a coffee can full of rocks?

Go on AR forums and watch people smear brands big and low all the time. About how many are end user error?

Oh my bravo company upper is a piece of over priced junk... followed by 10 oh should have bought an Aero, a MUR, a SunDevil, a LaRue...

Oh my PSA and 80 lower is great... followed by 10 yeah well I have a 3rd cousin twice removeds best friend with a PSA that exploded-true story you guys! You get what you pay for! Stay away from PSA!

I know 3 other companies that offer complete uppers that sell for less than a blem complete from PSA. ONE of which offers uppers cerakoted and spiral flute stainless 1:8 twist barrels. Can't all be junk... otherwise they wouldn't be in business offering 100% customer satisfaction...

What I get the biggest kick out of is the ones who run steel case crap ammo in a stainless barrel and expect the reliability of a Daniel Defense Wilson Combat Complete Aero Colt etc...

Steel case cartridges in a stainless barrel = asking for trouble. And prematurely worn out firing pins due to those hard primers wolf and tula use.

I don't exactly know the basis for his OPINION on PSA being garbage but I'm sure someone who trains in an area of tactical defense life dependent upon the tool in your hand, would develop such opinion based on what he sees fail in the field... We all know a 16 inch carbine isn't renowned for Sharp shooting half inch groups at 300 yards with steel cased junk. Especially out of any stainless or even chrome plated barrel utilizing a 1:7 twist after a mag dump...

Your mileage may vary. But I'm sure he and his instructors carry an elitist attitude regarding something that is perceived as a tool in the area of defense...

I myself may be perceived as an elitist. I don't run steel or aluminum cased junk in any of my rifles or pistols. I also don't run commercial load 223. Every AR I have is chambered for, and gas system designed to cycle, 5.56 specs. So you won't hear me complain of short strokes, failure to eject, nor do I run chrome lined barrels and cry about 6 inch groups after a mag dump or perceive the M&P sport as the end all be all of entry/budget carbines. Their trigger sucks. Their barrels aren't anything to write home about. The stock fitment is loose and upper to lower fitment isn't the greatest. Not a fan of MOE hand guards which seems to be on 90% of ARs at the range. Im a fan of the original A1 hand gaurds and carry handle upper myself. All areas the end user can always if they choose to do so, can improve on.

I've built PSA rifles before. I've also sourced components from high end suppliers and companies like Black Rain Ordinance, Wilson combat, Aero Precision, Shilen Douglas and Krieger. Do they put rounds down range? Yup. Are they scalpels? Depends. Do the barrels require lube to fit in the upper? Or do the wobble about and fall in?

Depends.

For a plinker range toy PSA is great. Mil Spec everything except for barrels.

Would it be something I'd throw a scope on and hunt Taliban 600 yards out with? Probably not, unless the upper fits tighter than a nuns you know what to the lower, same for the stock to extension tube, and the barrel almost requires being pressed into the upper and said barrel isn't chrome lined with a goofy twist rate to stabilize light projectiles.

Clear mud huts with? Maybe...

Protect my house during an invasion... no. That's where 33 round mags for Glock come in. The hell would I want to use a glorified 22 that cooks at over 3000 feet per second that relies on the rounds speed to yaw in soft tissue out past 50 yards with a bad guy 10-15 feet away for? Stopping power and rapid expansion. Not cut through like a knife through butter to nail the neighbors dog 2 houses down the road...

My builds have always focused on consistency and longevity.
Consistent cycling.
Consistent accuracy.
Consistent wear (BCG to Upper rails)
^if everything is done right on my part, I won't be able to just shoot the eyes out of a bee at 500. I'll be able to do so for years.

I'm a fan of adjustable gas blocks. You go ahead and shell out for 5 different buffer weights and spring rates. I'll use a standard mil spec tube and buffer system, an Allen key with 1 in the mag until it's holding the bolt open after it fires, and throws brass like it should.
I'm a fan of 20 inch 223 Wylde HBAR chromoly barrels with a 1:8 twist and free floating hand guards. Why? If another democrat gets in charge and ammo prices go through the roof and 5.56 disappears, and I'm forced to source steel cased, I don't have to worry as much about shells welding themselves in a stainless barrel.
I don't have to be stuck with only 55gr ammo. Or 62gr ammo. Can run 45-80gr.
I don't get glint from a stainless barrel blinding me as I shoulder it.

In a carbine. Nothing tops a nice set of iron sights or a 1-6 power scope and military style hand guards.

Again your mileage may vary. Build on

Old 06-07-2017, 07:02 AM

Yeager took down his own post because it was so stupid. His post was a rant about if your not a machinist you could not build an 80% AR. With the 80% *** it was a piece of cake. I only had one issue and that was hammer fall would not catch the trigger. Found out it was a misformed hammer that PSA replaced and took care of the issue. The lower has much less to do with accuracy than the upper assembly does. My first run worked perfectly. I expected to have some issues to run through. It cycled fine with only one FTF and that was a bad primer. This jack wagon had a 15 min rant on youtube that only one in one thousand could do an 80%. I would say it is more reversed. I have ordered several 80% lowers and they are all fine. I recommend the ones that have the lug pocket removed. It makes is just that much faster. It took me about two hours but I can see if you did several that time would be shorter.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:08 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times
Quote:
Yeager took down his own post because it was so stupid. His post was a rant about if your not a machinist you could not build an 80% AR. With the 80% *** it was a piece of cake. I only had one issue and that was hammer fall would not catch the trigger. Found out it was a misformed hammer that PSA replaced and took care of the issue. The lower has much less to do with accuracy than the upper assembly does. My first run worked perfectly. I expected to have some issues to run through. It cycled fine with only one FTF and that was a bad primer. This jack wagon had a 15 min rant on youtube that only one in one thousand could do an 80%. I would say it is more reversed. I have ordered several 80% lowers and they are all fine. I recommend the ones that have the lug pocket removed. It makes is just that much faster. It took me about two hours but I can see if you did several that time would be shorter.
Everyone has an opinion about something, even the stupid people. My thoughts? Opinions are like... oh wait, you've probably heard that one.

Last edited by NHDave; 06-07-2017 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-07-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Everyone has an opinion about something, even the stupid people. My thoughts? Opinions are like... oh wait, you've probably hear that one.
Opinions have value if its I like Vanilla and don't like chocolate. But when Yeager makes a stupid statement like his 99% of you out there can not build an 80%ar or his Glocks work out of the box like 1911s fail out of the box. His statements show a lack of thinking. Its beyond opinion.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:02 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
Again... he isn't exactly wrong, there are alot of people who aren't meant to be mechanics, machinists, gun smith's, surgeons, or lawyers.

Accuracy at my standard for any range, comes from a super tight upper to lower fit free floated hand guard and a barrel you'd swear would need to be pressed in with a commercial grade hydraulic press. Not a weeble wobble rock side to side...

With 80% and the average you tuber overnight smith would be able to hog out a blank properly? How many have the gas block twist when driving pins in and wonder why it won't cycle properly? It's happened to me. Good old A2 sight posts.
Hand drilled before I used a drill press. I goofed blanks. Drilled off center and had a thin wall that had I utilised probably would have cracked. Mistakes are made nobody gets it right the first time every time.

Quote:
Opinions have value if its I like Vanilla and don't like chocolate. But when Yeager makes a stupid statement like his 99% of you out there can not build an 80%ar or his Glocks work out of the box like 1911s fail out of the box. His statements show a lack of thinking. Its beyond opinion.
I can say there is truth to this statement of his as well.

1911s are jam on matics why? Bad magazines, I don't care if it's a Colt, a Kimber, a Remington, A Ruger, a Springfield, a Rock Island Armory, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, or any other manufacturer who sells a 1911. Unless you're using high quality stainless mags from Chip McCormick or Wilson Combats... you can forget about it feeding reliably.

Have a parkerized frame and slide? You might want to pop the slide off and polish the feed ramp to feed hollow points reliably.

It's when they get into 4 inch and 3 inch barrel lengths when they REALLY goof up and can't feed, can't eject, or cycle properly. Every 1911 I've seen fail at the range I offer the shooter my magazines to try, they don't do squat for the stubby barrels. Kimber especially. I own Glocks. I own a Kimber, I own 3 Colts, I own an R1, I own a Les Baer.

I'll take 5 minutes to strip clean and lube a Glock which has more capacity stock for stock, vs half an hour 45 minutes to strip clean grease, lube, reassemble.

Again, he isn't exactly wrong, he's an instructor for defense...

Would he shill for HK FN Sig? Look at the price gaps between what they all offer in 9 40 45 357 Sig.
P229 not a legion, just a standard P229 in 357 Sig is 1400 out the door. My Glock in 357 Sig, 825 out the door.

Compare FN HK in 9mm and 40 and 45 with Glocks offerings, my 19 was 550 out the door in 9mm. FN and HK were 700-900 depending on what model and whether they had night sights on them....

My 19 is EDC and gets Full of sand and sweat. Runs like a Swiss watch. I am convinced it's indestructible. I know right now if sand stuck to the barrel up by where the barrel bushing rides on the 1911s that pistol won't cycle. I know if I neglect to clean the trigger system and keep putting 250-500 rounds per weekend through any of my 1911s the trigger is going to suck, and have pulled shots.

What does he preach in all of his videos? Situational awareness always be prepared for the worst possible outcome. I'm not suggesting a gun battle will exist where I find myself wounded and dropping my pistol in the sand... but if I do, I know my Glock is going to run.

Same if I drop it in snow. Over the side of a boat. In mud.

One thing a Glocks or any poly pistols demise is... it can become a dog's chew toy I don't recall ever seeing a chewed up 1911...

Each platform has their Achilles tendon and something they do exceptionally well at.

My 1911s are about as Murica as it gets from standard Mil Spec narrow front sight blades machined out of the reciever and standard Mil Spec frames, flat main spring housing, short GI trigger, Plain Jane, up to the pretty two tone cerakoted frame and slide, skeletonized hammer trigger extended curved beaver tail 30 lines per inch checkering in a diamond pattern topped with custom Novak sights, to the show piece with all the above and coco bolo grips...

They're all accurate (except the Kimber it's a little wonky) tack drivers.

Flaw, they're 7-8 rounds with Chip McCormick magazines. However I can club my enemy to death with the heft they have over the Glock

Dog can't chew it to death.
Good magazines and very intensive cleaning and lubricating to run reliably.

Glock. Bulky. You're perceived as a fan boy if you own one.

Runs lubed. Runs dry. Runs dirty. Fires EVERYTHING you feed it minus cast bullets from uncle bobs basement. Unless you throw a different barrel in.

It takes Seconds to strip and you have the slide out and all critical parts cleaned and lubed in minutes.

Both have massive aftermarket support, modifications, and reputation.

If I was teaching noobs how to be proficient I'd make my class as streamlined as possible. Bring a Glock. Not a Sig, Not a hi-point, not a Kel-tec, not an HK, not a FN, not a Beretta, not a 1911, not a SCCY, not a Bersa, not a Taurus, not a Ruger, not a M&P shield...
We aren't stopping to figure out your weapons issue every 200 rounds....

Again. He isn't exactly wrong. He's not Hickhock45 shooting for fun in his backyard giving as unbiased and as positive a review as possible while smoking pots LOL.

Lets get one thing straight, I'm not a fan boy of Yeagers.

But he has valid points.

As arrogant and elitist as they are at times, they're valid none the less. He gives reviews on hands on life saving equipment and tactics.

He's not going to bore you to death for half an hour like that other blow hard the Yankee Marshall who's not only a know it all, but justifies his reasons on how he's 100% right and so and so is 150% wrong, wheel guns are the best, they'll never jam, and have funny and witty one liners when it comes to liberals and anti shooting sports folks...

And he's not like MattV2099 trying to purposely kill a Glock to prove it's hands down the invincible gift from the pistol gods either.

Arms are no different than engines, the one with less moving parts and superior metallurgy, tightest specs will last the longest until something innovative comes along... So for him to stick to his guns in saying Glock works the first time every time, isn't wrong. Exaggerating the rate of failures of 1911s or those operating the 1911 forgetting to take the safety off... who knows. We aren't there. I don't doubt it though. There's probably equally as many folks who don't leave 1 in the chamber on a Glock either... afraid they'll put one in their leg when unholstering.

Compare the AK platform to AR.
I can leave an AK in a swamp for a year clear the barrel and chamber it'll run everything. But I won't shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards even with the Stars Saturn and Venus aligned properly.

Take and do the same with any AR mill spec or commercial spec.
You'll shoot 2 inches or less with irons if the stock, and barrel to upper fit is tight and upper to lower is tight, but not after you've stripped it cleaned it lubed it reassembled it. Shoot a case of steel cased crap and cry foul over residue from the cartridge not expanding like brass cake up the gas block the gas tube and BCG key, or welding itself in with the lacquer coating with sub part accuracy.
More springs than moving parts, and springs fail.

Compare the 1911 to a Glock.
Same story.

The Glock sights aren't anything worth writing home about. The triggers aren't the greatest either, but they run and are accurate enough for the average Joe to nail a bullseye at least once per magazine with proper trigger control.
Could be worse, could have those others triggers cough Smith and Wesson cough that feel like they're snapping in half and have 2 miles of take up before the striker hits the primer...

They go bang every time I've pulled the trigger. Dirty, clean, dry, wet, good ammo, bad ammo.

I'm sure others like Vickers and other tactical trainers would share his views just not as bluntly or brash... Just sayin... he trains the average north American couch potato to police officers and everyone inbetween to be proficient with their weapon, and proficient at ending the fight asap or to have the ability to tend to one's wounds sustained in combat. I don't see him endorsing Keltec, HI point, and others because they run and have an advantage over Glock or any other brand. Sure there's controversy over his trainer telling someone to throw their pistol on the ground and had a negligent discharge nailing that dudes vehicle.... but again, a valid point was made. You don't throw loaded chambered handguns on the ground, and you didn't buy these to be safe Queens and show pieces. They're tools to protect life and property.

Show of hands,

Who here is willing to toss their 700-2500 dollar 1911 on the ground, watch it get loaded with sand dirt silt mud and scored up from rocks pebbles or from a metal belt buckle in a waistband appendix carry to get rusty from the elements and salty sweat?

Who here is willing to see a 500 dollar poly pistol get the same treatment? My EDC has gouges in the frame. Has had sand and sweat caked in the magazine well and into the slide etc. I'd never subject any of my 1911s to that, even the cheap R1...

That's where Jeager isn't wrong, you want a tool to defend life and property. Not a show piece to sit in a glass case. Or make an occasional trip to the range... Or one that requires an external safety to be disengaged, for once the adrenaline starts flowing... you going to remember that safety is on? Or are you going to do what you know to do, squeeze that trigger...

Old 06-08-2017, 07:53 AM

I have to say I dissagre, Yeager pulled his video because it was so stupid. He said 99% of the people can not build an 80% AR. I am sure there are some who could not due to some physical reason. But I would bet 90% of people could do it. I have seen videos showing 65yo women doing it. I think your going too far into the weeds. The point is that Yeager said that 99 percent of people unless your a machinist can not do the 80 percent lowers. This is just wrong. Yeager is an asshat that is more into self aggrandizing then giving out any real information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting