Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:14 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,854,646 times

Advertisements

I've finally decided to get a rifle sled to help maximize my accuracy potential on my rifles, up to Weatherby 300 Mag.

Would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions/recommendations on make/model - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 07:33 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,878,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I've finally decided to get a rifle sled to help maximize my accuracy potential on my rifles, up to Weatherby 300 Mag.

Would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions/recommendations on make/model - thanks!
I just own and shoot a lot but I don't read gun magazines or keep up with the new fads.Could you explain what a rifle sled is?

Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,744,681 times
Are you referring to a Lead Sled by Caldwell? They’re used to sight in a rifle.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I just own and shoot a lot but I don't read gun magazines or keep up with the new fads.Could you explain what a rifle sled is?
Sorry if a decades-old product is a new fad to you - but they come in pretty handy when you're going out to function test and zero in 10-15 rifles in a sitting. Always did 'em "old school", but as I've gotten older, I've learned to dislike abusing the shoulder sighting in someone else's rifles.....lol

Old 10-13-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Are you referring to a Lead Sled by Caldwell? They’re used to sight in a rifle.
Yeah - their product seems to come up a lot. I've honestly never paid 'em much mind, but for some reason, we've gotten a passle of mag calibers in this year for break mounts, scope mounts, suppressors, etc - and everyone wants us to sight 'em in for them. Mind you - I ain't complaining - they pay us well to set them up, but as I mentioned, the shoulder just isn't enjoying it as much as it used to. And when someone is paying me for a service, I want to be confident that I'm delivering the very best service I can.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,960,568 times
Depends on how many of those 1911's you have that yer willing to trade for one. The REAL sleds run into the thousands. You'll find the guys shooting the 1 mile target using this type. But, Caldwell makes a poor mans version of one. The rifle sits in the sled. You absorb next to no recoil, if that bothers you. You dial the rifle to the X ring. Then as you sight the rifle, you have a fine adjustment lever that makes very small adjustments. Here's what one looks like at Midway;
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-shooting-rest

An alternative to this is learning how to shoot the one hole groups from bags. Few have a clue how to do it. I've been doing it for decades. From the one hole group in the famous Houston Warehouse with a Remington 40X 30/338 mag to a 6x 45 AR Platform or a .261x 47 Dietz 700 sleeved. I'm available to give you lessons for a small nominal fee. Now tell me again, how many 1911s do you own?

Old 10-13-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Depends on how many of those 1911's you have that yer willing to trade for one. The REAL sleds run into the thousands. You'll find the guys shooting the 1 mile target using this type. But, Caldwell makes a poor mans version of one. The rifle sits in the sled. You absorb next to no recoil, if that bothers you. You dial the rifle to the X ring. Then as you sight the rifle, you have a fine adjustment lever that makes very small adjustments. Here's what one looks like at Midway;
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-shooting-rest
That's the one I was trying to find - thanks!!

Quote:
An alternative to this is learning how to shoot the one hole groups from bags. Few have a clue how to do it. I've been doing it for decades. From the one hole group in the famous Houston Warehouse with a Remington 40X 30/338 mag to a 6x 45 AR Platform or a .261x 47 Dietz 700 sleeved. I'm available to give you lessons for a small nominal fee.
That's what I've been doing. Frankly, I'm hoping the sled will speed up the process and reduce the recoil. I've probably not been bagging them enough, but when you're trying to do one after another, I guess you tend to not pay as close of attention to the bagging as you should. Unlike you, I'm not so old that doing one rifle a day seems like a lot......

Quote:
Now tell me again, how many 1911s do you own?
As of tomorrow, 79 or 80 - depends on whether I buy one or two at an estate sale......and no, I will NOT tell ya where it is....lol

Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,960,568 times
I'd check around for pricing. Midway is usually pretty tall on money. Freight is another killer from them. Check with Graf and Sons and Sinclair Int. Unless you are a stocking dealer I don't think Caldwell will sell the gunshop direct. But then you can always try since it's for the shop use.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:23 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,926,715 times
There are, I believe, various versions of the "Led Sled" from various vendors. They have them on Amazon, and you might find a good price for a used one on ebay.

However, this is my problem with recoil reducing shooting rests - the recoil has to go SOMEWHERE, if not into your arm or shoulder, the gun takes it all, and if it cannot move well - I've heard of cracked stocks, scopes get loose, other internals. Also, you just plain lose that interaction with your rifle, you might as well just push a button that leads to the trigger and stand 20 feet away. Part of shooting a rifle is managing the recoil, making it work with your body, become one with the rifle as you take that shot (not that we need to go all "zen" with the concept).

I do go bench shooting all the time. I use shooting bags, recently I got a Caldwell "The Rock" just so I can more easily raise or lower the front rest. Works pretty good, and it lets the recoil slide back against your shoulder, as it should.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There are, I believe, various versions of the "Led Sled" from various vendors. They have them on Amazon, and you might find a good price for a used one on ebay.

However, this is my problem with recoil reducing shooting rests - the recoil has to go SOMEWHERE, if not into your arm or shoulder, the gun takes it all, and if it cannot move well - I've heard of cracked stocks, scopes get loose, other internals. Also, you just plain lose that interaction with your rifle, you might as well just push a button that leads to the trigger and stand 20 feet away. Part of shooting a rifle is managing the recoil, making it work with your body, become one with the rifle as you take that shot (not that we need to go all "zen" with the concept).

I do go bench shooting all the time. I use shooting bags, recently I got a Caldwell "The Rock" just so I can more easily raise or lower the front rest. Works pretty good, and it lets the recoil slide back against your shoulder, as it should.
From what I'm seeing, the recoil is transferring to the rest itself, and the deadweight it holds. If I'm doing one to three, it's not a big deal - but doing 10-15 at a sitting, by the end of the session I'm starting to pull shots just from fatigue/getting tired. When I hand someone a rifle that I've sighted in, I want them to go to the range and find it spot-on, not "close", so I'm trying to eliminate every possible variable.

I will keep an eye on things, though - if I even THINK it's putting the guns at risk, I'll either find ways to address it or stop using it. An earlier model sled I used years ago DID do that kind of damage, so I'm used to watching out for it, but the reminder never hurts, thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting